Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Eagle Suspension??? again...I know Lol

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Re: Eagle Suspension??? again...I know Lol

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Looks super good! I probably need to same or similar to my bus... Should be a good time lol.  As Walter said. Please post your video! Im very curious!
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Post by davida »

DoubleEagle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:50 am Gee, my back is aching from looking at all of your work, looks great. Did you ever hear from Daniel Lenz? Looks like Marty helped a lot. I look forward to your video. Did your work on the drop box get resolved?
Never heard from Dan Lentz.  Marty guided me through the disassembly.  Yes, I sealed the drop box with the spray gasket sealant per Luke from U.S. Coach.  I'm waiting on 2 shackles for the curb side.  Should arrive Friday.  I hope to be done next week.  

I bought 2 new Hankook tires for the front wheels today $612 each.  My first tires for this in 2001 cost me just under $200.  This is my first use of Hankook.  I have them on my car and love them.  I thought I would try them.  I buy 2 new tires every 2 years and install them on the steer axle and move the 2 year old wheels to the oldest pair on the drives or bogie.  Makes for an 8 year retirement and keeps the front wheels fresh.  

David 
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Are those Hankook's 16 ply H rated 11 X 24.5? Not a bad price if so. I have seen prices of $800-1000 for Michelin's recently. Another worthy tire brand is Toyo. Your two year rotation is not a bad idea, buying all eight is a big chunk of cash.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
davida

Post by davida »

DoubleEagle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:35 pm Are those Hankook's 16 ply H rated 11 X 24.5? Not a bad price if so. I have seen prices of $800-1000 for Michelin's recently. Another worthy tire brand is Toyo. Your two year rotation is not a bad idea, buying all eight is a big chunk of cash.
Yes, 16 ply all purpose (steer or drive)  Toyo was $5 more.  I have 2 Toyo, 4 Dunlop and 2 Hankook on the coach now.  Shop couldn't find any Dunlops (supply chain issues).  Toyo was 2 day wait.  Hankook was in his warehouse
davida

Post by davida »

Got those springs in.  3 hours each side to line up the 4 big bolts on the axle.  It has about a 1/16" lateral tolerance in the alignment or the bolts will not go in.  
Attachments
2022-04-09 16.01.44.jpg
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

:) looks great!
davida

Post by davida »

I finished up the re-installation of all the suspension and axle related hardware.  It took a full day compared to over 3.5 days to get the stuff off.  It was much easier to put back together with cleaned up bolts.  I checked my ride height and the spring setting was within 1/4" on both sides.  That is a great victory.  I expected it to be correct because of the adjustment arm geometry.  I would have been really stumped if the height had changed.  I am drawn in on the adjustment arm threads as shown in the eagle manual for a new spring setting, so I have the full travel of thread adjustment if needed for the future.   I adjusted my ride height in 2016 and it is still the same today, so hopefully it will continue.  My bogies are loaded to 4000lbs on each side.  

This took me about 4 weeks.  If it holds up as expected it will be worth it.  I have a 250 mile trip planned in 2 weeks which will be my shakedown test.  I will compile the videos and wait a while to upload to U tube.  I have a 6000 mile trip planned this summer.  I want to wait until I get back to make sure everything works out for me before I post the video.  I don't want to lead anyone astray if this is a failure.  

I spent $230 on 2 shackles, $190 on bolts and nuts, and about $70 on miscellaneous tools and supplies.   The most difficult part was getting the curbside shackles removed.  There is so little access to the 8 bolts that hold each bottom half of the shackle to the bus frame.  It was all torch on those lying on my back on a creeper letting the slag drop into a bucket of water trying to avoid a fire, not fun.  The street side shackles were in good condition.  No messing with those.  I don't know why the street side components were in good condition, but I had corrosion and rust on the curbside which I had to fix.  I welded in steel gussets everywhere there were issues.  Those extra fixes took a lot of my time.  That's why it went to 4 weeks.  

David

Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

I think all the salt/ water slush ends up a lot more on the curb side due to crowned roads. That is just my theory, having noticed the same on many vehicles.
davida

Post by davida »

I finally got to take the coach out for a test drive. Nothing fell off, and I have no left over parts. That's a good thing. I drove it about 20 miles. I came back to the barn and checked my measurements and was 1" low on the curbside. I raised the curbside drives 1" (1/2" of threads used) and now I am 14" all the way around. Those 1 7/8" nuts were easy to turn since all the threads were cleaned and lubed. That was nice. I am showing about 4200lbs weight on my bogies which is more than Dan Lentz recommends, but I have been there since last fall when I adjusted them because they would slide with a hard brake application. So far so good.

I have lots of thread adjustment now.  

The video clips are about 45 minutes. I will try to post them next fall after my summer trip.

David
Attachments
IMG_8568.JPG
IMG_8568.JPG (93.99 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
IMG_8566.JPG
IMG_8566.JPG (85.84 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

David, you bring up an interesting dilemma - posting videos.

Currently it is not possible to upload a video to our forum.  Making a link to another host (such as YouTube)  is pretty straight forward.

Uploading a video to our server is a bit of a challenge.  First we must find a way to get that type of file uploaded.  That can be addressed a couple of ways.  The other challenge is how the reader will be able to view the video.  The easiest way to accomplish that process is to rely of the viewer's software rather than try to set up a viewing option on our server.

I will look into the options we have, but right now the best option is to upload videos to YouTube and then put a link in a post.

I really look forward to seeing your great work on video.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.