Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Eagle Suspension??? again...I know Lol

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: Eagle Suspension??? again...I know Lol

Post by DoubleEagle »

David,

You can be proud of your work, and it must feel very satisfying to be done with it. The pictures are great enough to appreciate what you did, but a video with sound to capture all the grunting and expressions of pain and satisfaction would be good too. The main thing is to hit the road and have fun! A detailed list of the steps you took to uninstall and install would be good to have, as there are several ways to approach the job. Is there anything that you would have done differently?
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Post by davida »

DoubleEagle wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:42 pm David,

You can be proud of your work, and it must feel very satisfying to be done with it. The pictures are great enough to appreciate what you did, but a video with sound to capture all the grunting and expressions of pain and satisfaction would be good too. The main thing is to hit the road and have fun! A detailed list of the steps you took to uninstall and install would be good to have, as there are several ways to approach the job. Is there anything that you would have done differently?

It took me a month.  The video is about 45 minutes long.  I don't show much grunting.  I did my best to point out and explain what I wanted to do and then come back and show what was done.  It's boring to see guys putting in bolts and turning wrenches. There are 37 video segments and about 20 various pictures.  I found a free software called open shot to link all this together.  I have tinkered with it some, and it works well enough to put this together in a decent presentation.  I only have a laptop to do this and it will take hours for this thing to load it to my u tube channel.  So, I hope I can do it.  I saved it on a thumb drive, so it won't be lost.  It's about 7 gigabites.  As far as I know, Marty Golden is the only other person to do this and he is happy with his.  

Do anything different???  I wish I would have screwed the nuts on the arms all the way in, then with everything still attached, jacked up the axle and let the arm travel as far as it could inward.   This is essentially doing the opposite of raising the coach.  Doing this would have saved me cranking those outer nuts with my 1 7/8" wrench to fold the arms in.  That would have saved a lot of grunting.   

Everything else worked out well.  I was able to use all but 3 of the shackle bolts on the upper halves of the shackles, but I had to buy 16 bolts for the lower half of the 2 new curbside shackles since the only method of removal was a torch.  I replaced all the locknuts and star washers.  I had to get the bolts, washers, and nuts from a place in Houston.  I couldn't find them in San Antonio.  7/16" fine thread socket head screws are scarce.  All bolts I reused I cleaned up the threads with a threading die.  

David
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

David, the height specs in the Eagle manuals are for an empty bus.  I never thought about that when I set mine. 

I think it is a good idea to set a converted bus to the height specified, but not any greater.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Post by davida »

beltguy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:13 pm David, the height specs in the Eagle manuals are for an empty bus.  I never thought about that when I set mine. 

I think it is a good idea to set a converted bus to the height specified, but not any greater.

Jim
I am at 14" so all is good.

David
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

That is where I set mine and it seemed to be a great ride height for both the drive shaft angle and for handling.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.