Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Update: Eagles International Website and Forum Status

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Update: Eagles International Website and Forum Status

Post by beltguy »

Well, we have made a little progress.

I converted our website theme to one based on a standardized WordPress theme. Recall, the theme is what gives the look and feel to a WP website. Our previous theme was a one off custom generated theme that would not allow us to update to more current versions of WP.

If you are at all familiar with the look and feel of the old website, you will see a few differences but most will never know that the website has been updated.

The new theme should allow us to easily upgrade to the 5.x.x version of WP when it fits in with the overall upgrade. We are currently on version 4.9.9 which WP considers to be current for the older version. WP 5.x.x is a totally different platform and has caused many problems when older websites tried to upgrade.

We still have a bit of an issue with the level of the database platform (not a big deal). However, we are reluctant to upgrade the database as it could impact the forum.

James continues to work on the forum upgrade and overall organization of the huge number of files on the hosting site. The effort on that part of the project is slow because the limited resources James can devote to the project.

As I have said so many times, both the website and forum are fully functional and are available for your enjoyment.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Hi All

James and I have made the decision that I will work with GoDaddy on Monday 11/22/2021 and have them load the most recent version of our forum software (recall that we are using a very outdated version).

All of the research we have done suggests that that will result in a very generic look to our forum - in other words, the look and feel of the forum will change - perhaps drastically.

If everything functions properly, James will then pick away at customizing the look of the forum so that it has more of our classic look.

All of the threads and posts are contained in databases and none of that information is at risk.

This is a major conversion and, typically, there are hiccups in the process. By working directly with GoDaddy, they can roll us back to our present software level if things really go south.

Wish us well

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

After the software upgrade, I believe the temporary appearance of the forum will look like this:
20211120 Forum Appearance after conversion.jpg
As time permits, we will modify the appearance to more closely replicate the current forum appearance.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

In the process of working on the software upgrade, I have had some pretty significant panic moments and have managed to take the forum down a couple of times. In addition, a few posts made during the update have been lost, including one or two of my posts here.

For a while we lost all links to images within posts. I now have that back.

All of my work now will be concentrated on the clone version of our forum, so hopefully we will not have any major issues :o

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Jim,
I'll wait until the dust settles on the revamping to resend posts, you have enough to do. I just hope Mason got to see everything before they disappeared. If there is a way, you probably should shut off the ability to post while things are being worked on.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

good idea walter, ill just stand back for a bit
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Probably the safe approach is to hold off. That said, I am working on the update using the clone in what the computer folks call a "sandbox", so hopefully I will not crash this site again.

For anyone wondering why we are trying to do the update, our legacy system is several versions old and the PHP that drives it is old as well. While the forum works OK ( until I screw up :shock: ) there are lots of things in the background that are pretty venerable and as I administer the forum I am finding lots of little anomalies that are popping up more frequently.

The subject of lost posts has come up. All posts are contained in a database and updating has not impacted any posts prior to my failed attempt last week. We have backed up the database for this process and try to back it up off-line periodically

We did lose one tread and a couple of posts in this tread from last week's debacle.

I did discover that all of the images in the posts are in a file folder rather than a database - much to my amazement. We will be backing up that file folder periodically (a two hour process).

Thanks for hanging in there during this process.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO