Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Re: Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

Post by frodnew »

Jim and Walter:

Hope you both ( and everyone else) had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thank you for the reply. I've taken a few days off to just rest my brain from the insurance issue at hand. Some things that I would like to share:

Jim:
-Miller Insurance. I did as you suggested, spoke to two people at the company; Marleen and Roxanne. We started out with the understanding that I had a titled House Car (RV) and set the liab limit to 100/300 with a $1000 deductible, however, after giving them the new VIN off the title, they saw that it was a coach in it's prior life and said that the "carrier said it was unacceptable" and wouldn't be able to help me further. I never mentioned the bus's inside state of having no seats in it but Roxanne continued saying that even if they did offer a way to insure it, I would need to provide them proof of the company who did the PROFESSIONAL remodel inside, proof of a bill of sale, photos, etc...
My question to you and all others is, has anyone owning an Eagle ever put together a list of the most trustworthy renovation companies? I have read the forum thoroughly but some of the folks that did Eagles in the past don't do them anymore. I've known before I purchased the bus that I might run into this problem due to my state being Florida, but, I didn't think that the insurance companies would be giving me this much hassle considering we have more RV's on the roads falling apart left and right ("professionally made"), tiny homes on wheels, school bus conversions, etc...
If I had options on contacting a company who could work with me on the way I would like my bus converted, I would give them a call yesterday.

Walter:
I believe you are right if I decide to go the route of what I was quoted, I'm paying MUCH more than the quotes or payments others are paying. The only way to get her, the broker with AIS, to write me up a quote that would legally get me on the road was to include the fact that I was a musician and I would be working as a musician in it.
So, as a musician, I spoke to other musicians, full and part/time, who said that this type of insurance could also lead into other problems such as opening up a can of commercial problems, ie, taxes, plates, license, etc... I don't want this. As far as sinkholes go, I freedive in them (no tanks) with special fins/lights/mask. I look for the highest part of the parking lot I can find or stay as far away as I can from the holes. Walking some distance to the holes is chore but hey, your line of thought is right on target!

I've been researching more sites and will try Pekin Insurance. I have a list of companies I've contacted already and will be calling them back again. Why not? I have nothing to lose except to maybe get insurance that doesn't put me into restrictions.

Have a great weekend,
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Well, that sucks about Miller Insurance. I had heard that they had turned away other bus owners, but could not bring myself to believe that they had made a decision to walk away from a part of their heritage. While the insurance companies have backed off insuring some buses, brokers like Miller have access to resources far beyond what we, as individuals, do.

I do not know of any list of converters. Indeed, many of the folks that were in that business are long gone. I suspect that there are not many customers willing to invest huge dollars for the conversion with the thought that they will face selling for pennies on the dollar.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Thank you Jim for your kind words. With everything I've come to learn in life, I have always believed there is a solution. Insurance for an Eagle seems to change as quick as the stock market on a daily basis so I'm going to roll up my sleeves a little higher, and think outside the box.

I contacted some friends who own RVs, both part-time and full. Suggestions for companies I've already called and got either answers to or quotes will be called again as well as six new companies I learned of. I'm also going to personally see local insurance companies and explain what I've got and what I need and see if I can't get my car bundled into it as well. Why not? Esurance is and has been a decent company but you know that feeling when you still feel you're paying more than you should, especially when you're record is clean as a whistle?

By Wednesday of next week, I'll have more updates. I don't want to get into a corner with the one and only option I have now, especially with the restrictions they give.

As far as renovations go and the companies that once took care of Eagle owners, well, I'm branching out on this too. I've made a list of contractors I know in the RV industry, plumbing, electrical, solar, generators, A/C, etc..and friends who also do this for a living. I might have to do this myself. I believe in getting things done, doing it right the first time and spending for the better materials, especially since my goal is to make this our full time home. Not an RV but a modernized home but I'm also not going to hurry into this. I'm going to measure as many times into the process before the first cut is ever done.
But first, insurance!

Will be back soon with updates and thank you all and this forum. Just knowing that someone is listening makes such a difference!
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

It must be that things are changing in the insurance industry, it was not like this twenty years ago. When I bought my first coach in 1996, it was from a charter bus outfit and was right out of service fully seated. The only hassle I got was from the four digit VIN, they did not believe that was it. My current coach insured by Pekin was always an entertainer coach (A former Senator Coach), and I had copies of the original bill of sale to prove it. That satisfied the Underwriters (those mysterious anonymous people that decide such things, who I suspect are young college graduates with clueless qualities), and I got liability coverage with the option of collision & comp in the future with agreed value. Your intention of using it for your career as a musician complicates things, and technically, if it is used for commercial purposes, it will require the whole mess of inspection, driver's and vehicle licenses, etc. Other musicians who get around this by using an "RV" to get to gigs, are probably taking liability chances and circumventing certain laws, which explains why the established entertainers lease coaches from outfits like Senator. But, that involves big bucks, and where does that leave aspiring musicians? Keep poking around and find an insurance agent that will let you insure it as an RV for your personal use for transportation. If you used your car or van to get to performances, would they be crying commercial? If you don't have any logos or writing on your coach, and you are not hauling any goods for sale in it, how would it be visibly commercial? Of course, lawyers and underwriters have their opinions. :?
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Well said Walter!
Come Monday, I'll be on the phones again taking detailed notes and gathering intel on quotes. Tues, I'll be heading to local insurance reps and will use the quotes I have printed off as tools to compare apples to apples (if that option is available). I never liked mixing what I do as a job with personal life. The bus is freedom and I simply am not an entertainer for large crowds so leaving out the corporate stuff is crucial. I will simply side step AIS and focus on what you said. By Wed, I should have enough to go on to either make a decision that is similar to yours or to come back here and tell you what I got.
Either way, it's good to know you guys have my back. Appreciate it!
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Latest Insurance Finding Update:

As of today folks, I have insurance! All State got me hooked up and at a pretty good price of $422/yr., Liability @ 100/300/100 and towing up to the first 250 miles. I know this can be changed and I'm all ears on hearing what you all suggest since insurance is not my thing but remember, the bus is empty, as in, no seats or anything and I still have to drive it down from NC to Fla.
I really appreciate you all encouraging me not to give up. It means a lot.

Probably by Dec. after Xmas, me and a friend will be looking into heading up together (he has experience driving a bus, too) and bringing her down. I'll be moved by then into a place that has room to park her. If this can happen, it'll save me some money on storing it at a yard and will be right outside my door for working in it any time.

As always, more updates soon,
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

That's great news! It paid off to keep searching. Keep the coverage on even if you are not using it, that way you build up your coverage history without accidents. :D
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Thanks for the insurance update. There have been at least one additional person that mentioned that they got "bus" insurance from Allstate.

When I first tried to get insurance for our bus in 2000 I tried Allstate since we had been customers about 40 years at that time with both home and several cars. They told me to take a hike.

I am tempted to look into switching as my Progressive policy is pretty pricey, but as hard as it is to get insurance, I will hang in with them.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Thanks Guys!
I can't tell you how detailed the list of insurance agents were with me and I think this is because:
1. It's Florida (I get it, hurricanes. Many insurance companies have bailed and the panhandle still looks like Katrina hit it)
2. Tiny Homes and Skoolies (The market for these have made a mess with the housing and code industries nationwide)
3. RVers (Reading the news, most are not only making a mess across the nation in the park systems but now living anywhere they feel like it)
4. Bus/Coach (Insurance Co's see this model type pop up and they immediately think it's a commercial vehicle or something on the screen say...NO!)

However, my new AllState agent, Felicia, was a pleasure to talk to and did not go into the Devil or the Details. Thank God!
I'll be sure to keep that insurance going no matter and do my best to follow my own advice which the State of Florida adopted as a motto to all: "Sit low, Drive slow". Seriously, it feels good to get this far and if anyone wants to switch companies or consider a quote, I can send the info.
------------------------------------------------
Quickly, before I end. I need advice on what to do when I drive up with my friend to get the bus. What steps should I take when I get in the driver's seat? I'm not sure if the bus will already be running but let's assume it isn't and I need to start it cold. It will be Dec when I go up to NC. What things should I look for before leaving the lot? You all say that the gas gauges usually aren't accurate so should I ignore and head straight to a popular truck stop and fill 'er up? I know it all sound routine but when I was a cop, nothing was "routine". I simply want to come home safe and alive.

Thanks guys!
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Hey, I'm a retired federal officer myself (and six years as a Military Policeman). You have to be steady and persistent to be a cop, and to find insurance coverage for a coach, right?

As far as starting up the Model 15 goes, you need to know when it ran last and its condition. Does it have a plug-in block heater? If it is below 40 degrees, or so, it will need to be plugged in for a couple of hours or more to give it a much better chance of starting. Some people use ether to help, but that should only be used when it is very cold and you are desperate, too much of it can do damage to the engine. Failing a place to plug in the heater, or there not being a block heater, you would need a small portable generator to power the block heater or one of those kerosene torpedo heaters that would be aimed at the engine from the rear. Assuming that the fuel system has not lost "prime", the other consideration is the state of the batteries. Include a battery charger in your kit of stuff. There are plenty of posts on the subject of getting prime back on the various bus forums. The cheapest way is to have a squeeze bottle of diesel fuel to squirt into a removable plug on the top of the primary filter. If you have a fuel processor instead, you simply unscrew the top cap and put more fuel in. If you have a picture of the rear of the engine, post it and we can scope it out.

Getting more diesel fuel would be prudent, and then you could see if the gauge responds. The tank in the standard size is 130 gal, the optional one is 154. If you have the larger one, it will protrude into the rear center of the last bay. Some Eagles have two optional tanks on either side of the main tank that add another 50 gal, or so. Once you know your capacity, you can figure your range using about 7 mpg as a yardstick.

Another thing to check when you start up is whether the air pressure builds up to 120 psi in a reasonable time, and whether the low air buzzer works or not. The tires should be checked for correct pressure and any signs of bad cracks, cuts, and bulges. The pressure levels recommended on the VIN plate should be followed, which will probably be 105 for the front axle, and 90 for the rest. You will need a truck style pressure gauge that can reach every wheel position and have enough range of readings.

And lastly, check the oil levels in the engine, power steering, and hydraulic pump, and the condition of the drive belts in the rear. Use only straight 40 weight oil in the engine, and don't fill it totally up to the full mark, keep it down a little. You will loose less oil that way. The power steering might have trans fluid or oil, so just add what is already there. Same for the hydraulic oil, which might be 20 or 30 weight.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio