Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com

Update 5/5/2024 I think we have resolved the recent problems for now, but a total reconstruction of the site is being planned For more information click here: viewtopic.php?p=33804&sid=91e6bc9a093a1 ... 303#p33804

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Entry Door Restraint

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
AQUALAUGE
Bus Model: 45' Model 15 Factory Raised Roof

Entry Door Restraint

Post by AQUALAUGE »

Hello all,

I am in the process of converting the front 2 entry door halves into one single door. I have the new frame welded together and mounted in place and it looks really nice. I used a 3/8" pin stainless steel piano hinge that I had purchased before knowing about Eagles International and seeing other hinge styles.

My question is; has anyone out there come up with a "cleaner" more professional set-up to retrain the door from hitting the mirror without changing the hinge? I have seen one post on here using a steel rod on the bottom of the frame and another using a stop mounted on the exterior skin. I have been leaning towards a strap set-up that the old international scouts used (International Harvester Scout 80, 800 Door Check Strap Kit) on EBay. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks much.
AQUALAUGE
Bus Model: 45' Model 15 Factory Raised Roof

Re: Entry Door Restraint

Post by AQUALAUGE »

UPDATE: Upon some further research I found this on e-bay (2005-2010 GENUINE HONDA ODYSSEY DRIVER FRONT DOOR CHECKER CHECK STRAP) I wonder if something like this would work better, also if anyone is using the straps found a better deal on EBay, Smittybuilt has them for around 20 bucks.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

I used a rod that is fastened to the bottom of the door that goes thru a bracket on the frame below the door with a spring. It works OK. I did bend it once on a curb. I have seen a few straps used and they seem to work well.

Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I wanted to answer this earlier, but I have been searching for a related document (more later).

I had thought about using a car strap system. I was concerned because of the weight and size of the door. When the wind catches that door, it really sends it swinging. I ended up using a 1/8 inch steel cable attached to bolts at the bottom underside of the lower step and door. It works well, but does not have any shock absorption. I have broken one over the years, so now I carry an extra.

I had been looking for a drawing someone gave me at an Eagle Rally several years ago. The drawings do not have a name or date. The drawing is two pages. I am attaching a one page photo so that you can get an idea of the concept and a PDF with both pages. The PDF is easier to enlarge to get the detail.
Door Step Design.jpg
I always thought that this was a great idea. I combines the concept of a restraint, lower step (perhaps replace a step stool in many situations) and a mud scrapper
Door Step Design.pdf
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 510 times
Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.