Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Correct Oil for Detroit 8V71 & 8V92

This forum will archives technical threads that are unique to Eagle Buses. There will be one thread for general comments, but the technical threads will be locked. The intent is to have a repository for detailed technical information that can be of prime importance to an Eagle Bus Owner. New threads can only be created by the forum administrators.
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Correct Oil for Detroit 8V71 & 8V92

Post by Jim H »

Attached are images of the correct oil for our wonderful 2-stroke Diesels for the technical archive page. Clifford has always recommended the 1240. This is the oil that I use, along with the Detroit/MTU brand. Jim, could you orient these images for me, they were taken right side up, I promise. :lol: Hey, like it states on the jug, "For long engine life". So, for "short or shorter engine life" :shock: ....one could use something else! LOL.

IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2077.JPG
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Correct Oil for Detroit 8V71 & 8V92

Post by beltguy »

OK, the photo gremlins are working overtime. When I preview the photos they are correct, but when I reload them, they rotate 90 degrees. I will have to do some research to see what the issue is. As I recall we have had this issue before.

In the mean time rotate your computer 90 degrees :shock: :)

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

And the plot thickens.

The photos in Jim's original post are thumbnails as the uploaded photo file sizes are too big to display directly. We do this automatically. You can click on the thumbnails to view the original size photo. If you do that, the original photos appear in the proper orientation :shock: :shock:

JPG photos have a small file that define the orientation. It appears that some cameras and iPhones use a format that confuses the software. This is made worse when you take the photo with the camera in the vertical position.

I see lots of threads on the internet about the problem, but no simple solution.

Sorry, but I guess we will have to live with the situation. The problem can be minimized by taking the photo with the camera/phone in the horizontal position.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Hello Eagle Friends!

Summit Racing has our oil on sale for $15.99/gallon or $60.92/case(4gallons).  Years ago I would have said this price was a little high, but now days my local Detroit Dealer is north of $37.00/gallon.  Go to www.summitracing.com and search for Mobil Delvac 1240.  Free shipping with orders over $109.00 right to your door.   I don't plan on parting ways with my 8V so I have stacked it up in my shop! :lol:    I remember what Clifford said years ago, "you will never be on the side of the road wishing you had not changed the oil".  
Best, 
JimH
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989