Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Needing a bell housing 1972 8V71 with 4 speed manual

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
mlneville88
Bus Model: 1972 Silver Eagle VIN 8VA8711, Body Type - MH, Make - SIEA

Needing a bell housing 1972 8V71 with 4 speed manual

Post by mlneville88 »

Hi folks,

Well after a short trip within the state, I had issues getting into 2nd gear.  Come to find out the bell housing bolts had backed out and allowed the bell housing to separate from the engine and cracked the bell housing.  It will need replaced.  Does anyone know which one I need and where I can get one at a reasonable cost?

rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Needing a bell housing 1972 8V71 with 4 speed manual

Post by rusty »

I do not know what bell housing you will need. It will help if you post all the information on your bus. Year, model, what engine ,what transmission. With that information someone can help figure out what housing you need.  By posting here you will get a few people that mite be able to help. Also you can post on bus conversion magazine as they have a larger number of members. Also I would think that the same housing was used on other makes of buses.
mlneville88
Bus Model: 1972 Silver Eagle VIN 8VA8711, Body Type - MH, Make - SIEA

Post by mlneville88 »

Thanks for the feedback.. it is a 1972 Silver Eagle with an 8v71 engine attached to a 4 speed manual eaton (i think) or spicer but that is what it is.. I've looked for the exact model and serial number where it should be stamped on the engine block but there isn't a stamp there so i'm not sure where else to look for that.  I was told it would be on the left side of the engine if I was looking at it from the flywheel, above the starter are between the freeze plugs below the head.. but there isn't anything there.  Any insight would be great.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

You need to be clear as to which part you need, there are two parts between the engine block and the transmission. The flywheel housing is on the block first, then the clutch bell housing, then the Spicer transmission. Sounds like the clutch bell housing is broken. There are two part numbers for the bell housing, Eagle body serial number up to 7169 is part number 01-0601-504, Serial number 7170 and higher is 01-0601-508. My 1975 Model 05, which I am parting out, is number 9537. Of course, these numbers apply to the original setup when they left the factory, previous owner modifications can change things. It will not be a trivial effort to take the transmission out of one bus and put it in another. The chances of finding a loose clutch housing sitting in someone's garage are not great. The bus will need to be over a pit or jacked up high enough to get the trans out, but it can be done with enough blocking. I took out mine years years ago to have the Spicer checked out and new seals put in. I jacked it up about two feet, and used a tripod hoist on the inside through the floor hatch to hold it and lower it down.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746