Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

re index a bogie wheel

This forum will archives technical threads that are unique to Eagle Buses. There will be one thread for general comments, but the technical threads will be locked. The intent is to have a repository for detailed technical information that can be of prime importance to an Eagle Bus Owner. New threads can only be created by the forum administrators.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: re index a bogie wheel

Post by DoubleEagle »

A trick I have used from decades ago to fine tune the brake adjustment is to apply the brakes on even dirt to see which wheels lock up or drag more, not just from axle to axle, but side to side. In the case of the Eagle, if the bogies drag and nothing else does, then back off the manual adjustment gradually until they come in line in proportion to the other wheels. Automatic slack adjusters may screw this idea up. Another factor to consider is whether the tread and size of tires are different on the bogies than the rest of the coach. The age of the tires can affect the traction as well, old rubber is stiffer and less compliant with the road surface.

The bogies are the lightest loaded of the axles, and there is no changing that. Fine tuning the brake slack seems to be the only way to ease the flat spotting, assuming the bogies are loaded correctly, and the ride height is correct all around. My Model 05 had this problem when I got it, but backing off the brakes a few clicks solved it. A wheel turning while braking has more traction than a locked up sliding one, it just won't be engaging as soon as the other wheels.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Re: re index a bogie wheel

Post by davida »

I jacked both sides up evenly and found the curb side at 4750 lbs. Too much for me, so I took it off again and backed off one spline. I'm getting good at it. Only took a bit over an hour to do the the whole change :D
I'll try it here for the summer and check again in the fall.

David