Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Songman's 1989 Model 20

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Songman's 1989 Model 20

Post by Songman »

This is a former New Jersey Transit Model 20. I bought it from a guy who had started the conversion but decided to put his efforts back into his GMC. He started the 8" roof raise but never completed it. It was running when he parked it in his barn three years earlier. But we had the good ole Eagle fired up in less than 30 minutes even on old fuel.

Here are the original pictures the seller sent me before I bought it.

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Songman's 1989 Model 20

Post by Songman »

The engine was running and sounding good, but we had engine and transmission codes and a Do Not Shift light on the ATEC pad. Eight hours worth of trying to figure it out over a two day period yielded nothing. Finally as I was opening up the front bay to start loading stuff, I saw a black box with an Allison logo on it. I checked all the connections coming out the bottom and they seemed secure. Then I noticed that one of the wires had a tag on it. I read the tag that said 'This wire MUST be connected to a chassis ground'. I traced the wire to find the other end hanging loose. Five minutes and a new connector later and the bus was purring and ready to go!

On the road again! Nekkid Eagle coming through! The looks on people's faces as they saw this bus 'cage' going past was priceless!

This is my favorite picture from the entire 400 mile trip home!

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

More from the road.

Don Fairchild at the wheel.

My turn!

A room with a view!

DDEC II 6V92 (I think it is DDEC II. Not sure if it was upgraded when the engine/trans were rebuilt)

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Here are some of the things I love about this Eagle...

Pantograph doors and Alcoas!

R&M front and rear caps. Fiberglass side panels and Peninsula glass are in the bays.

That's it so far! First step is to get it dried in with the new caps and sides installed. Then maybe the windows. Gotta get ready to steel tent it at Quartzsite in January!

Anybody up for a barn raisin' BBQ in Bakersfield? Come on over and we'll put you to work! :lol:
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Dale that is an interesting story. I have panographic doors for my 15. It did not come with the bus so I am going to put them on. It is good to know you have them in case I need to look at one if I get in trouble when I am installing mine. Looks like you have a solid bus to start with. That makes everything else alot easier.
Eagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F182862
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle model 10

Post by Eagle »

Those photos are just super.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Thanks! It really was an enjoyable trip after we got past the stress of getting the bus going. I do hope next time I take a trip in it that it has sides though! haha
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Dale, that 20's a diamond in the rough. Welcome to the Eagle world... :D
Looking forward to seeing your progress....

................Kentucky Steve ......................
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Not that it is all that much progress, but we did get the caps out from the inside and set in place. These are the R&M caps that came with the bus when I bought it. After talking to Dan at Silver Eagle, I would probably buy their caps if I had more time. They are not all that much different in price than the R&M caps and they are hand laid fiberglass while R&M uses chopper gun.

At this point the caps are just sitting on there and held on with straps. We have to rebuild all the framing for the caps. The previous owner apparently paid local guys to do what was done who didn't know much about buses. The rear cap was put on upside down so when I turned it right side up, all the framing is wrong. Actually it was wrong when it was upside down too, but we are going to make it all right.

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

The raise on my bus was already started when I got it, as evidenced by the earlier pictures. Even though I didn't do the raise, I do have some pictures that the previous owner took while it was being done. I will put a few of those here for posterity in case anyone who is about to start their own raise needs to see how it is done.

Everyone always tells me how easy it is to raise an Eagle. Still, I am glad it was already done! :D

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN