Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Sivrtnge2'S 82 Eagle Model 10

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Re: Sivrtnge2'S 82 Eagle Model 10

Post by ericbsc »

Ok eagle fans here is my number one complaint about the eagle bus construction. When these buses were built they used a nice piece of anodized trim to hide the midline seam. It looks good and is one of the distinguishing features of the bus. It has a nice pc. Of matched plastic base behind it.

The windows while giving the effect of being mounted on the skin are actually mounted directly to the bus frame. The frame was painted black to make the install look seamless.
This causes several problems. First if the window leaks, it puts water in direct contact with the frame. One ones I have torn down have only red oxide primer on the inside of the frame. Not very good rust preventive

The big one is that the skin is applied directly under the window. It is riveted directly to the frame behind that nice pc. Of trim. They used a sealer behind it. But a 40-45' coach does tend to twist and flex as it makes its way down the highway. In its service life that could be anywhere from 100k, to a million miles plus. Now that sealer is not bonded to the frame, but to the primer which will turn loose with the first sign of moisture. This only leaves the .093 skin and a few aluminum rivets to prevent all that water running down the windows from going inside. Did I mention the fact that during those miles and twists prompt what is called electrolysis? Aluminum acts as the sacrificial anode. A small current is created when two dissimilar metals rub together. The softer metal is slowly destroyed by the current. This means the rivets slowly give up. Then all that water can go all the way down to the bays!!

The converter actually put an aluminum skin over the frame around the windows. Problem is they butt jointed the upper and lower, then covered it with aluminum tape. I prefer to take the rivets loose from the top, and slide the aluminum under it, and lap over the lower skin. That way even if the rivets and sealer fail, the water will still be deflected to the outside of the bus.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

And there in lies the enigma with Eagles. The very type of construction which enables us to so easily stretch, widen and raise these things (the tubular construction) is also it's downfall. Like so many have discovered after they shelled out hard earned money for a good looking coach, ya gotta do your homework and/or look for a desert bus. Good post Eric.
SIVRTNGE2
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F399257
Bus Model: (82) 94 EAGLE MODEL 10/45

Post by SIVRTNGE2 »

rv_safetyman wrote:Wow, what a bummer!

I don't know much about many of the converters, but I thought that the Cauldwell Brothers had a good reputation.

When the "good guys" are done with it, it should be a beautiful, well built bus.

Jim
Jim,
I had been throwing sucker punches at Cauldwell Brothers since Sonnie showed me the shotty framework in the engine compartment. I had a feeling I was in for another bombshell!!! I'm sure Eric will correct all the issues and make things right for me.
Bustyme wrote:I look at those pictures and all I can think is...(In the words of Mr. Breeze..) "What did that bus smell like?"....LOL...

At least you got that thing in the right bus barn... Mr. Eric will make it right.

I laugh when you guys talk about WWAI. We call em the MIZ-WELLS (Might as well ....while were at it..HAHA)

While you guys are busy trying to keep Mr. Brown off the streets I have been building an all new replacement system for our Aquahot system. It is coming along nicely and should be ready to test in a week or so. Hope it works as good as it looks...

Good luck with the remodel and remember ANY bus project you start will always morph into six more overlapping projects :lol:

Good luck,

Randy Coons
Randy,
Believe it or not, the bus actually smelled very good inside because Dee had more than a dozen air fresheners doing their job. Every time I walked into it, I had a sudden urge for sugar cookies!!! :lol:
buscrazyinFL wrote:WOW Eric, what a job! As you know I just finished doing my dash (I'll be posting pics soon), I'm just wondering how you are going to make sense of all those wires. I thought I had a mess but it didn't look anything like this.

I was reading the earlier posts from Bill and he mentions the Converter. I know of them, they are from FL and I'm really surprised they would do that kind of work. They are still in business btw???

Bill, I really liked your video with your semi following the bus. Brought back memories of my days on the road pulling doubles.

I think you are going to be very pleased with your Eagle when Eric is done.
Manny (I think)
Yep I know one of the guys were still butchering up coaches as of a couple years ago. I am almost sure they are still in Virginia. As for as the semi following the bus, It will be quite a while before that happens again. I will have to keep the rig rolling for another 10 years to get Eric's bill paid :mrgreen: .
Boomer wrote:And there in lies the enigma with Eagles. The very type of construction which enables us to so easily stretch, widen and raise these things (the tubular construction) is also it's downfall. Like so many have discovered after they shelled out hard earned money for a good looking coach, ya gotta do your homework and/or look for a desert bus. Good post Eric.
Boomer,
This is my second coach. The first one was purchased out of New York and believe it or not, It was completely solid above the wheel wells. We cut the bus up after selling parts off because after looking at the wheel well areas, we thought it was completely shot. I paid a guy to come to the house and cut it up for scrap. As he cut it up, he took pictures. By the time I realized it was in excellent shape, it was to late.

This coach was already converted when I purchased it because that was the only way my wife would allow me to buy another one. It belonged to a Judge in Florida. This guy had purchased the bus from the south and took it to the "professionals" to be converted. I called myself looking the bus over to the best of my ability but I see the problems were hid well beneath what I could see.

Once again, it's in the right hands and I know after looking at Eric's coach, I have nothing to worry about. As for as the money, I'd rather spend it on something I like than give it to the "beer drinking, cigarette and dope smoking, pill popping, up all night card playing, sleep all day welfare recipients that I have been supporting!
--
Bill
p.s. If this last statement hit a nerve, I'm sorry but it's true in its entirety.
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

Bill told me if I found anything else bad husy don't tell him, and DON'T post it !!LOL Ok Bill, I have something good foe you!! Your brand new dash heat and air unit. Ain't it purdy, and best of all it doesn't have a drop of rust on it!!

Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Eric or William, we need to see an update.

The previous few photos make you sick. I bet by now that she is looking better.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

Jim, I decided not to post anymore until I had something good to post. I was worried about Bill's heart!! LOL We have ground sanded and scraped to get every bit of rust off the frame back to the bathroom,and are appling por15 at this very moment. Next comes a coat of single stage gray, then we will put .063 aluminum over the window openings lapping it over the lower metal. We also drilled every rivet out of the upper, and lower skin. It was leaking the entire length of the bus under that pos moulding. We ground the frame and back of the skin clean. We are puttung butyl rubber between both. We will put a different moulding around the bus with the same behind it. That stuff is not like any other caulk. It NEVER dries and will stay flexible forever. I still have a few rusted out areas to fix, but we are moving. I want to have it to a point soon where we can address the shift issue again.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
SIVRTNGE2
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SIVRTNGE2 »

ericbsc wrote:Jim, I decided not to post anymore until I had something good to post... I was worried about Bill's heart!! LOL

Thanks a lot Eric!!! I've talked to you several times and you didn't tell me you posed an update!!! Yeah, I'll admit I was at "BURST PRESSURE" :lol: . I think she's going to pull thru. You may now put more pics up (as long as they look better than the ones on the previous page) :D !!! Jim I know you'll see the other post however, please check on the ZF situation. Thanks again guys!!!
--
Bill
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

:| :lol: LMAO!!! I wondered how long it would take you to find those!!!! :lol: Will post more soon. I still havent heard anything on the KW900. I will call them again.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

A little before and after.

Tommorrow we reskin and prep for installation of new windows.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
SIVRTNGE2
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SIVRTNGE2 »

Looking good Eric...It's been awhile lol. I caught hell logging in. I had to reset my password. Your deadline is August 15th :D !!! Are we going to make it???
--
Bill