Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Hello

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
History

Hello

Post by History »

Hello to everyone, first post here but I have been lurking, reading. Thanks to Jim for allowing me to join.

I used to drive an eighteen wheeler for a living back in the eighties. I retired from that life after only two and a half years. I ran teams and was lucky enough to do it with friends that I trusted and my brother. We didn't fool around and truck stop party. We got from point A to point B. What I disliked about it most was,, waking up, hair standing straight up feeling nasty and not being able to take a shower without holding up our movement. That being said,,, I do like to travel and was always envious of the buses that would usually blow by me going up hills. The truck I drove, a 1985 Ken worth with a double sleeper had a 400 Cummings, 15 speed with overdrive and 370 rears. You had to be doing 75mph to go into high gear and even then with a head wind of any kind it would fall on its face. It had very little torque. I did drive a cat with a 13 speed that was an awesome setup, it didn't run nearly as fast but climbed hills great.

That was a long time ago and I don't have much experience with the newer engines. I know there are tuner kits available for smaller trucks that are all the rage these days and have wondered if this technology has made its way into the larger engines yet. I guess with the older engines it will always be mechanical but the newer stuff with a computer seems to be a perfect setup for this. I have no experience at all with Detroit engines but have heard more good over the years than bad. They do sound sweet.

I plan on purchasing an eagle and am trying to learn all I can about them. I appreciate being allowed to join the people here in conversation and apologize that I have very little to contribute. I am a good listener, unfortunately I don't retain everything I hear.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Hello

Post by akroyaleagle »

Welcome,

Most of us had little knowledge about buses when we bought our Eagles.
Your learning curve will rise sharply associating with this bunch.
Whatever questions you have, ask them, we've heard them all!
Play around in the archives. There's a lot of good info there.
If we can be of assistance, ask.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Welcome to our group Barry.

As Joe said, we stand willing to help in any way we can.

One thread you should bookmark is the "inspection" thread" http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... f=5&t=4343

You asked about "tuning" a large electronic diesel engine for more HP/Torque. Yes, there are folks who do that, but it is often a combination of hacking the fuel tables and changing some engine components (turbo, muffler, air cleaner, etc). One of the issues with "hot rodding" an engine is the increased heat generated. The stock Eagle radiator has limited heat rejection capability. In good condition, it will cool a 6V92 set to 350 HP but will have problems with an 8V92 in the 4-500 HP range.

Many folks do engine conversions to a four stroke (both electronic and mechanical). That has a lot of advantages including reduced cooling demands. A series of engine conversion articles I wrote for Bus Conversion Magazine can be found on our website: http://eaglesinternational.net/category/articles

This post is getting a bit long, so I will stop here and add a post or two in the near future.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

You are doing exactly the right thing to research your future purchase. It will pay dividends. I always recommend that potential buyers post the candidate bus here so the we can offer observations. In some cases we might know about the bus.

You discuss your experience with manual truck transmissions. Several Eagles have 10 speed transmissions. A few of us cheated and have Eaton AutoShift 10 speeds. In any case, these transmissions are very robust and give you a gear for most any condition.

As you noted, Wayne has an amazing build thread. There are others out there that are a bit less impressive :D, but have lots of details and ideas for folks to think about.

We will help you find an Eagle and become a crazy person like the rest of us :shock:

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
History

Post by History »

I truly appreciate the welcome and look forward to learning all I can about these buses.

I'm not sure it was an eagle but I believe so. In nineteen eighty five or there abouts I was heading north towards Little Rock on 30. I had just pulled out of the scales and a bus went by me. I caught up to him and just rode along behind. It was about 3:00 am and with that I was on the cb radio trying to drum up conversation. The bus driver who went by me, trubidore ( not sure on spelling) also was in the mood to talk. Turns out he was Earnest Tubbs grandson. I had mentioned that I had a full load of strawberrys from California and he said his boss would love to have some.

I do remember the bus didn't have that great or fancy of a paint job but ran really well as we were covering ground. I asked who he was driving for as he had mentioned he had to get his passengers to their destination. He answered CDB band. I thought that must be some new rap band as I'd never heard of the CDB band. We're finally crossing the Mississippi and as we are on the bridge I see two or three really nice painted buses heading west with Charlie Daniels on the side of all the buses and it hit me, CDB band.

We stopped at the 76 truck stop in Brownsville around 7:00am. I said how about some strawberrys? He answered "yes,my boss will love these". I take a flat of strawberrys to the bus door and I'm on the steps and here this guy comes up from the back, hair standing straight up, sorta staggering like someone who just got out of bed as he had. It was Charlie Daniels who personally wanted to thank me for the berrys.

I ran all the way to Nashville with them as it was just the driver, Charlie and his wife. I was twenty four I believe and although the event wasn't life changing it was interesting and after I think about it,, maybe it was life changing, because I've wanted a bus ever since.

Sorry for being so long winded on my posts. It's funny how many times I remember a "bus" verses how many times I remember a truck.

Thanks again.

Barry
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Great story.

We need to get you into an Eagle. Tell us what your budget/goals are and we will keep an eye out for you.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
History

Post by History »

Jim I'll admit my budget is dynamic right now. Meaning , I'm not sure what it is. This hobby is cheaper than owning a boat or plane isn't? :shock: When you are as ignorant on the subject as I am right now it's hard for me to know what my goals are.

I don't want to rebuild a frame due to rust. I may or may not want to rebuild an interior. I don't think I'd want to do an engine conversion. I think I'd be ok doing brake service and anything similar. I'm not above getting grease under my nails and know I'm Capable of more than I'll admit to but mistakes can be expensive. I do have a shop that even a 45 would fit easily in, so I do have a place to work on one. I hate to miss out if I stumbled upon a bus that was a solid deal. The problem right now is knowing.

I have noticed what I think is a nice bus for sale and would like to ask in a private message what your thoughts on it are. Would that be an appropriate thing to ask?
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Barry, Post a few pictures and maybe a link to the bus you are looking at, we would all like to check it out and make comments to help you.
Good luck on your search.
Jim H
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Jim is correct. We need to help you as a group. I really try to avoid getting involved on a personal level. Many times I can't help anyway.

Some folks worry about "giving away" details that would let others buy the bus out from under them. In today's market that should not be an issue.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
History

Post by History »

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if I would make someone uncomfortable and didn't want to cause any problems here . The coach I was speaking of is the 1972 http://www.eaglesinternational.net/test ... f=6&t=4345 listed here in the mall. With the information that is listed I'm not sure (because of no experience in one of these) what I do or do not want in that unit. I know that information can only be obtained by knowing my plans on use of the coach.

I do want to travel and I love west coast areas and as I am in North Carolina I'd get to see all in between doing that. We've done Seattle down to San Francisco to Vegas in a car and three weeks wasn't enough just to do that. With life the way it is for me today, I might have three weeks to do a trip like that. I know that's not nearly enough time to see and do much other than drive. That would change later and I (we) would more than likely become nomads for extended periods of time. I know some things can only be answered from experience and that's why I'm asking you fellows. The experience combined here could fill a nice book.

If I could ask,,, if one of you were interested in that coach, what would your concerns be?

The price has been reduced to almost half of original asking price. I'm not sure if that's a concern or just a fellow who has decided he needs it gone. But we are getting into my budget with those numbers. You guys might have a clue if those numbers would inflate drastically with what I'd be starting with. It doesn't have bunks which could be a good thing but I have two children. One that just graduated high school and a daughter that probably will next year. I say probably because it will be a year early for her but I think she's decided that's what she wants. I'm torn on that because she's my baby and closer to leaving home. The bunks might come in handy for (((grand children)))!

I am kicking tires but I'm also serious. I really don't want to make a huge mistake that I can't afford to correct. There may be things I haven't even thought of that I'm hoping you guys will make me aware of.

Thanks again for allowing me to pick your brains and allowing me to join the forum.

Barry