Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

What a mess

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Re: What a mess

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Van,
We do have good insurance. I am guessing about 5 grand or so in damage all together. Not bad all things coincidered. I am outside today digging out the pickup and to my surprise, because it had all of that ice on it before the tree came down on it, it was in a big block of ice. It is still covered in 5 inches of snow and ice but so far there is no visible damage other than scratches. And since it had more of a problem with rust than my Eagle I can deal with a few more scratches. :lol: I just hope I continue to find less damage. We will have the chain saws on the main part of the tree sunday and I'll let yall know how bad/good it is then. I am ready to get back to the slide out projects and get the bird done to get the devil outta here... :D ;) :lol:

.........Where's SPRING...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pat, I am glad you guys weathered this storm ok. I'll call you soon

Eagle, I hope you get your electric back soon. I know the last ice storm we were out for about 2 weeks. It got expensive running the gen 24 7. Hope to get up to see you guys soon.

..Kentucky Steve ............
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Glad to hear you guy's are OK,your governor was on the tube today talking about how resilient you Kentuckians are in weathering the ice storm :)
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

And nobody blamed it on FEMA or GB! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

I'm in warming up and, I have to say I think once I get the actual tree off of everything and the ice thaws that the damage wont be as bad as I first thought. I honestly believe that with all the ice all over everything and plus the fact that the tree split and stayed attached to itself that it did a slower fall and didn't crash down on everything as hard as it could have. The bus does have a hole in it and the roof on the house does have a hole in it and the top row of brick took a hard hit. I think the motor home may fair better than both the house and bus. The tree hit the house first then splintered above the roof of the motor home. Then it came down on the roof of the MH. At first look I saw that splintered wood and assumed that was the roof of the MH but I think it may just be the tree splinters. Looks like I will have to replace the awning roll tube and vinyl and most likely the rubber membrane and the moulding along the roof line. I see no distortion in the wall now that I have the ice off of it but as of now I cant see up under the roll tube of the awning.

Where's Spring!!!!

Kentucky Steve .........

Van, You know the song............country boys can survive.....it is about us hillbilly's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"It's not about surviving the storm but rather than, learning how to dance in the rain" :D :D :D
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Steve,
It is easy for me to say just hang in there but try to do that until that darn ole tree is removed. The cost of removing the tree safely without doing more damage may be a good part of the insurance cost but don't get in a hurry and try to do it yourself. I know you about sitting around too long, no way!! It is easy for me to say that but as a matter of experience I can tell you now.

I too tried to cut down a tree once about 10 years ago that was a danger to our house and was working from a ladder at first and to make a long story short I fell with the chain saw running. I blacked out on the way down, about 15 feet. Thank god I did not fall on the chain saw, but I did fall on my right arm incorrectly. I broke my wrist in (2 places) and have arthuritis so bad there now it hurts all the time expecially rainy or cold days. It is difficult to play my keyboard or guitar for any length of time without hurting even when wearing a wrist ban for support and you know I love to try to play music.

Take care buddy, take and post more photos as you recover. We are all hoping that you damage is just minimal and perhaps a warning, get rid of that fire wood so close to your home. I cut down 200 trees on my empty lot near the side of my house, never been sorry and hearing about your situation I have been happy I did as we get storms like that occasionally and I have no worries for my property when we do.

Call when you can.

Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.