Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

series 60 losing coolant

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

series 60 losing coolant

Post by rusty »

While test driving the 15 I noticed it was pushing coolant out. With the new ( the motor had about 5 mile on it at that time but had set for 11 or 12 years and had been started only once in that time) motor a bad head gasket did not cross my mind. I thought it was do to the large cooling system may have had a n air bubble somewhere. ( the cooling system is tied together with the cooling system of the generator and with valves the generator can be cooled with the coach radiator. it's own radiator , or both). We took off for California and the first day it pushed out about 3 or 4 gallons of fluid. The second day the same. I noticed the air gauge was going from 125 to 100 about once every minute or so. ( I want to stop here and thank Jim Shepherd for all his help I must have called him 3 dosen time. At one point the boss told me to leave the man alone.) ( also thank you to many others that where there to help In would name name but I would leave someone out and I don't want that. There are many people in this club that are ready to help.) We decide the air compressor had a bad head gasket and was causing the problem. I changed out the air compressor and the cycling was solved but the next day it pushed out coolant ( i don't think as much but can't be sure) We are now thinking it is a head gasket or something. Looking back When I went for the first test drive the first time i gave it fuel it did smoke a lot ( some white and black ) but I just chalked up to setting so long and it never happen again. When I start it now a small amount of white smoke comes out I chalked that up to the new ECM configuration. It pushes the coolant out in the first 40 or 50 miles and then no more. The temp runs at 183 and the oil temp is about 7 or 8 degrees above that. The hottest I seen is 202 and 210 on a long hard pull. We also think it might be thermostats.I hope I have not hurt the motor. I am torn between getting it fixed in California where I know no one or bringing it home to people I know and trust. Please chime in with your Idea on the problem and good people in south California
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: series 60 losing coolant

Post by beltguy »

When we were doing research on loss of coolant, I found a Detroit document that included possible causes (in addition to head gasket) to include air compressors with a bad head gasket and air controlled heat valves (in trucks). Since the air compressor was cycling so often, we really thought it was the culprit. After Wayne replaced the compressor, the cycling went back to normal and it appeared that the loss of coolant seemed to be minimal.

However, on the last leg of his trip, Wayne again had coolant loss. He had closed the valves to the generator plumbing and the loss seemed to be less (as I recall).

Wayne captured coolant samples and will test them for CO with a test kit to see if exhaust gas is present in the coolant (head gasket).

This has been a really puzzling problem:

1) Why does the loss seem to stop after a period of time?

2) Why would a virtually brand new air compressor have an issue?

3) Why would a virtually brand new engine have a head gasket issue (not yet confirmed)?

4) Could the plumbing of the generator into the main radiator be a part of the problem?

On my first Series 60 (admittedly very tired engine), I had a bad head gasket issue and did not loose nearly as much coolant as Wayne experienced. When the head of my engine was removed, the damage was quite extensive, yet the symptoms were not all that bad.

During the worst part of Wayne's problem he would puke out 3-5 gallons in a relatively short time (maybe a few hours).

I hope we can get some thoughts that might help get to the bottom of the problem.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Bob Gilbert
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: f367175
Bus Model: 1977 05 roof raised 7" 10 speed roadranger manual

Post by Bob Gilbert »

When we were at the rally in Quartzsite Byron was having the same problem haven't heard what he found was the problem.
I would get the tools to pressurize the system, with that much loss it should show up.
Most radiator shops have a tool to check for exhaust in the cooling system although I once had a truck overheating after a record, the vender checked and said exaust was present after a head gasket r&r it turned out the replacement core wasn't adequate and was redone so not sure how healpful that would be.
Bob
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Wayne,

Sorry you're having issues, I know how frustrating something like this can be. I had a similar problem with a 1940 Pontiac that had been ran hot to the point of cracking the head and block between cylinders 3 and 4. Prior owner told me "I didn't get it that hot". Right. Surely, not the same problem for you, I know, but I can tell you for sure, I spent plenty of hours trying to figure out why a replacement head and head gaskets, on that ole flat head six, did not solve the problem. Well enough of that...

Do I understand correctly, is the fluid leaving through the radiator expansion valve from pressure or is it disappearing in the exhaust stream, or both?
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Byron did have a head gasket go out and his symptoms were very close to mine. The coolant is being pushed out through the expansion tank. Does anyone know when the coolant is pushed out the expansion tank is full, where is the fluid displaced. Has anyone had a series 60 that was not bleed properly and what were the symptoms. I have all the high places on the motor plumbed with a 1/4 inch line back to the expansion tank. I have checked these line and all are full of fluid no air. But the system is tied into the generator and I did not make sure that was bleed.
Thank You Wayne
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

beltguy wrote: 1) Why does the loss seem to stop after a period of time?
This is strange...
beltguy wrote: 3) Why would a virtually brand new engine have a head gasket issue (not yet confirmed)?
I am not a mechanic, BUT I have never heard of a head gasket just sporadically failing for what seems like no reason. Just random thoughts here, If I recall Wayne got the engine out of a truck that had been rolled (correct me if i am wrong) would that have anything to do with the issue?? But if its a head gasket i don't think it (the coolant) would be pushed out of the surge tank. That is the strangest part of the problem.
beltguy wrote: 4) Could the plumbing of the generator into the main radiator be a part of the problem?
rusty wrote: But the system is tied into the generator and I did not make sure that was bleed.
It seems to me like this could be part of the problem, but it is strange that it pushed coolant out again and again.
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Probably a injector tube leaking from sitting for so long was that engine stored wet or dry ? for all those years,the only 2 problems that can cause that is compression in the cooling system or boiling water making air bubbles from circulation 210F is not bad for the series 60 the MCI and Prevost the fan doesn't come on to the second speed till the temp reaches 205 to 208F
History

Post by History »

I'm sure you know this but is there anyway the pressure cap on the radiator could be weak? Keep us informed if you figure the problem out and good luck to a speedy end to this problem.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

interesting about the injector cups. I did some digging and it is possible that is the problem. Clifford you ask about storage of the engine. It was stored dry. What is your thoughts about driving the bus home with this problem ? So it seems to me there are 3 places on my engine with out EGR that can pressurize the coolant system. 1 the compressor that I changed that solved another problem but not the coolant problem. 2 the head gasket checked by testing for CO in the coolant. Pressurizing the coolant system and looking for leaks inside the cylinders. Or pressurizing the cylinders and looking for bubbles in the coolant. 3 how do you check the injector cups ?
Thank You Wayne