Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

DDEC Power supply

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

DDEC Power supply

Post by rusty »

In my 05 I have master switches That turn off all power to the motor and coach functions. The motor in the 05 is not DDEC. My 15 will have a DDEC motor and I would like to disconnect everything from the battery. My question is will it damage the DDEC computer to turn it off when the bus is not in use?

Thank You Wayne
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: DDEC Power supply

Post by luvrbus »

Wayne you have a clock and a battery in the DDEC I don't know how long the battery will last they need power to keep the clock going so cutting the power to it is going to cut down on the battery life, that is a big rip off for the ECM rebuilders install a 8 dollar battery set the clock and smile when you pay 1500 bucks for their rebuilt ECM
Good luck
Clifford
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Clifford Thank you for the reply. I have had my engine for a couple of years and not hooked up to 12 volt power. Does that mean I will have to get my computer updated with a new battery?
Thank You Wayne
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Wayne, you never know I was told the battery would last up to 5 years when it is supplying the power, but when you fire and get codes I believe 51,52 or 53 it is a clock and battery problem

Clifford
Last edited by luvrbus on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvester
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Post by Harvester »

Clifford,
We have a 15 with DDEC, When I park it for the week I do not cut the main power switch. When we take time off, Dec. & July, two weeks, I cut off the main switch.I have not had a problem with 12 volt power drain. By leaving batt. power on , will this help the DDEC Batt.?
Harvester
1990 Eagle -Model 15
Connelly Springs, NC
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

I'm not sure I have much to contribute, but I keep my engine/chassis batteries off most of the time on our '88 Model 15 with a DDEC (force of habit, I guess). . .I hope I'm not balling something up in the DDEC. No problems yet after 4-or-so years--I don't think. The engine (including DDEC) was last replaced in 2001.

I haven't had any reason to take it in to shoot the codes, but I do have an intermittant starting problem: about every 5-6 starts, if the engine is cold (ok, California cold is below 65), I'm not sure I'm getting power to the fuel rack. The engine will crank at a good speed, but not fire; once I have the block heater on for about an hour-or-so, it'll fire right up. While cranking, I'm running about 10.5 volts to the DDEC supply wires.

After reading the other posts, now I'm wondering--I had no idea there was a support battery supply in the DDEC. If this auxiliary power supply in the DDEC is low, will that cause the DDEC not to function the fuel rack?

There, I've done it. . .I think I've created more questions than I've answered!

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA