Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Oil leak passenger side by tire

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
80Eagle10
Bus Model: Eagle 10

Oil leak passenger side by tire

Post by 80Eagle10 »

Hi I recently bought 1980 model 10 drove it home 30 miles no problem but noticed oil leaking after and not sure why would love any help or insight. 
Attachments
IMG_6226.jpeg
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: Oil leak passenger side by tire

Post by DoubleEagle »

Which tire? You will have to get down on the ground and look under. You might need to jack up a bit so you can see what is happening. You might not be able to really say there was no problem. I have a 1982 Model 10 that can provide parts, but I don't think too many Model 10's had rear windows.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
80Eagle10
Bus Model: Eagle 10

Post by 80Eagle10 »

It looks like it is coming up from the right of the left gas thank and dripping above a tubular piece that might connect the gas tanks but I can not see above.  It was also difficult to put any gas in the passenger gas tank as if it was 100% full but I am pretty confident it was not. Maybe there is a overflow or exhaust not working correctly? 
Appreciate any help or insight. 
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

First off, stop referring to the tanks as "gas" tanks, you do not burn gasoline. They are fuel tanks that hold diesel fuel. In your case, there are two tanks and they are joined at the bottom by a large hose so that they equilize, and there are vent hoses at the tops. You would normally load fuel on both sides, otherwise you have to wait for the fuel to level out. You need to jack up the bus a bit so that you can look under and see what exactly is leaking, it might be one of the tanks, or a hose, or connection. You need to have a manual for your bus that shows all the parts involved, and you need to get more involved with your bus. It should be obvious by now that you do not have an oil leak.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Wow Walter, you are not normally that "harsh" with your amazing responses.  ;)

I think what is being said, is that it is likely a fuel leak.  Perhaps the easiest "test" is to blot the spot with a paper towel.  Fuel will quickly spread in the towel while oil will not. 

Unless it is a Houston Metro bus, there is no oil in that area in a stock bus.  Houston Metro used a large toilet paper filter in a neat pressure vessel.  However it was behind the rear drive wheels.

Walter's, comments on the fix sound good to me.  Since it is on the side of the bus it does not sound like a bad tank.  Maybe a filler drain or filler hose?

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

If the leak only appears after running you have a return fuel line going into the top of the tank that breaks with age