Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Contact Information: ... Email: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com ... Text: three zero three 478-3501

Update 6/13/2024 For the next few days I will be "offline" while I undergo back surgery. Hopefully all will go well with the website and forum. Details of recent problems and reconstruction plans here: viewtopic.php?p=33804&sid=91e6bc9a093a1 ... 303#p33804

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Brake locking up

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
jpfever
FMCA #: 452336
Bus Model: 1980 Silver Eagle Model 10

Brake locking up

Post by jpfever »

Hi my model 10 when applying the brakes one tire is locking up every time. Reapply brakes and it releases. We are 200 miles from home. Can we adjust something to make it stop until we can get new brakes put on and a new tire now
Cyndi Ward
Exeter CA
1980 Eagle
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Brake locking up

Post by akroyaleagle »

You can have someone back off that slack adjuster. It must be repaired when you get it home.
Is this a bogie? If so the weight is not set correctly on it.
The braking might be slightly less until it is fixed.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
jpfever
FMCA #: 452336
Bus Model: 1980 Silver Eagle Model 10

Post by jpfever »

Yes it's a tag axle, the oil seal was bad onto the brake pads. One mechanic recommended clean pads and fix the seal so I did, but I think the pad are too oil soaked to keep from locking up. I have the slack adjuster backed off and brakes are releasing at the moment. When we get it home we will have new brakes put on and a new tire now hopefully that fixes the issue. Weight adjustment?
Cyndi Ward
Exeter CA
1980 Eagle
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

There are discussions in the archives here that address this in detail.
Short story, the weight on the bogies should be 4500 lbs per side or more based on the weight of the coach. If they are light the brake will lock the wheel and cause that tire to slide resulting in flat spots on the tire.
You will need someone familiar with Eagles to fix this for you.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD