Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Contact Information: ... Email: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com ... Text: three zero three 478-3501

Update 6/13/2024 For the next few days I will be "offline" while I undergo back surgery. Hopefully all will go well with the website and forum. Details of recent problems and reconstruction plans here: viewtopic.php?p=33804&sid=91e6bc9a093a1 ... 303#p33804

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Adusting my suspension

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Adusting my suspension

Post by davida »

I am going to raise my suspension again (last done in 2004). I'll do it according to Smoothjazz technical archive threads. I do have a question, however. I loosened the shackle bolts on the front torsion bar mounting tube with a 15/16 wrench. They came off really easy (surprised) :P Do I need to loosen the two bolts that mount the bottom half of the shackle to the front bay wall and the wall of the spare tire compartment? It looks like that isn't necessary to rotate the torsion tube if the shackle bolts are loose. I have difficult access on the street side front bay.

In reading Smoothjazz instructions about the front wheel portion of adjustment he only mentions releasing the shackle bolts that clamp the two halves together and says nothing about the bottom half mounting bolts in the bay and spare tire compartment. Can it be adjusted without loosening those mounting bolts?

David
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Adusting my suspension

Post by rusty »

David I loosen them but not sure if it is necessary. My thought is it is hard enough to move the adjusting nuts as it is any more friction only makes it harder. When I get done with the adjustment I tighten the bolts that hold the two halves first and then tighten the bolts that hold it to the frame. If that is how it has been done before it will hold the bottom half tight if you only loosen the bolt that holds the two halves together. That being said I am not sure that it is that tight of a clamp on the spring shaft. but the rust build up could cause friction.

Wayne
davida

Post by davida »

rusty wrote:David I loosen them but not sure if it is necessary. My thought is it is hard enough to move the adjusting nuts as it is any more friction only makes it harder. When I get done with the adjustment I tighten the bolts that hold the two halves first and then tighten the bolts that hold it to the frame. If that is how it has been done before it will hold the bottom half tight if you only loosen the bolt that holds the two halves together. That being said I am not sure that it is that tight of a clamp on the spring shaft. but the rust build up could cause friction.

Wayne
I have limited access on the street side front bay wall only. That being said, perhaps I could loosen the shackle wall mount in the spare tire area and soak the shackle mount at the bay with penetrant. I hope that would relieve the friction on the tube and let it turn in the shackle. :cry:
davida

Post by davida »

I finally finished the suspension job. I worked on and off for about 2 weeks. I changed out 8 shocks, (Autozone Gabriel 85-314 for front, 85-303 for rear and bogies, replaced one stud on the curbside drive (NAPA part # WA-1468), a couple of buds on streetside drive (Carquest WAP WA07-5030 nut, WAP WA07-5025 inner bud nut, WAP WA07-5023 outer bud nut. I also had to buy a socket to drive all the nuts with an electric impact. I used a 4' pipe to tork the nuts to 400-600lbs. It took an 8' pipe with me swinging on the end to break them loose. :shock:

I bought a jack with a pressure gauge to get the proper weights on the bogies. http://www.hyjacks.com/H21.HTM I set the height I wanted and blocked the frame. The weight on the bogies were 4200lbs at that height which surprised me how much it was. I left it at that weight even though Smoothjazz recommended 4000 max. I'm 36800 loaded. The bus was leaning to one side, so when I blocked the frame level raising the street side 1.5" and the curb side about 3/4". I removed the streetside drive wheels and let the suspension settle to the bottom stop relieving as much tension on the spring as I could.

I removed the outer nuts and bushing on the torsion bar rods. I loosened one inner nut. After cleaning the threads under the nut I tightened it back and did the same on the other rod. I figured it would make it easier when I attempted the raise. The bar doesn't move if you loosen one nut at a time. I tightened the nut 7/8" which gave me a 1.5" rise. It wasn't that hard to screw those nuts out. I did use a 30" bar to leverage the wrench, but with the wheels out of the way there is room to swing it.

I measured the distance from the center point of the hub on the curbside wheel to the floor. (wheels are still installed) I think it was 21". I put a jack under the street side axle and pressured it up until the bus frame began to lift off of the blocking. I measured the the center point of the wheel hub to the floor and it was the same distance as the curbside drive which still had the wheels on. (Remember this is the target height for the coach because the curbside frame is blocked to the correct height and the center point on the hub with wheels installed will always be the same measurement to the floor.) Since the street side wheel hub was at 21" when it began to lift the frame from the blocking, I knew that screwing out the nuts 7/8" gave me the 1.5" raise for that side. :D

I polished the outer wheel, installed new shocks, replaced the defective lugs.

I moved to the other side, removed the wheels and relaxed the spring to the stops. Now the suspension is dropped to the stops on both sides since all 4 wheels are off. I loosened each inner nut separately, cleaned the threads and lubed it all up. This side required a 3/8" nut movement. For whatever reason it was much more challenging to go the 3/8" on this side than the 7/8" on the opposite side :cry: I got it done, though. I installed new shocks, polished the wheels and reinstalled all 4 wheels and I was within 1/8" side to side on height after removing the frame blocking on the back end. (note: front end blocking is still in place when I removed rear blocking and checked this.) I then jacked the front end up as far as I could to leverage as much weight to the back wheels that I could to try to "settle" the suspension down. I lowered it back and it didn't move down any :)

Now to the front end. I removed my blocking and it was 1" low front to back. I took my laser into the coach and verified this using my ceiling as the only constant flat plane I could reference. I measured from the belt line on the siding to the floor outside the bus and received the same result.
I pulled the wheels, polished them, replaced the shocks and reinstalled. I then jacked the bus up from the center frame to relax the suspension. I loosened the lower shackle bolts at the torsion mount. I did not loosen the lower bracket mount as shown in the book. This did not prove to be a problem adjusting the spring. I screwed out the arms 5/8", lowered the coach, rechecked with the laser now showing the front end was about 3/8" high. Blah! I relaxed the springs and backed off the nuts a turn or so, lowered the coach, remeasured and it was dead on level. :P I checked side to side level and was within 1/8". My height is 48" from the fender flare to floor which is a bit high for a loaded coach, but I expect some settling.

I took the coach out for a test drive and the difference in ride and handling is a amazing. Of course new shocks play into this, and I put 2 new tires on the steers, so several factors are affecting my outcome, but I am really pleased.

I came back home and removed the bogies for polish and new shocks. Getting those shock mount nuts loose was a real bear. While everything was opened up I greased all the front end, rear springs, bogie springs, drive line, and brake palls in accordance with the Eagle OEM grease charts. The shocks I removed were the Gabriel air ride shocks (89-425). I put those on the coach in 2004, 90000 miles ago. I could easily slide them up and down with my hand. They were really shot :cry: I'm glad I sprung for some new ones.

It takes so many big tools to do this. I have a Northern air over hydraulic jack which is very handy. I almost bought a 1" air wrench for the lug nuts, but with my electric impact I could break them by hand, spin them on and off, and tork them with a 4' bar with not too much work. I made the 1 7/8" wrench for the torsion nuts our of a piece of 1/2" plate. It actually has more surface width to land on the nut.

I was very, very fortunate that I didn't have to reindex the bogies. I did that in 2004 reproducing Jim Sheppard's home made puller and remember how much work that was. I bet that saved me at least two full days :shock:

I've got a bunch of pictures, but I cannot get them to upload.

Edit: I got them loaded on a lower post.

David
Last edited by davida on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Wow David, what a great write up!

I wish I had thought to make my own 1 7/8 wrench. I ordered mine from NAPA without asking the price - how expensive could they be :shock: . Better part of $100 later, they picked me off the floor and home I went. I did the front twice. The first time I was able to use the wrench as is, but the second time it really fought me and I cut the wrench in half ( :( :shock: :o and that really hurt. With the half wrench, I could get a better bar on the wrench to get the job done

As far as posting photos, at the bottom of the posting screen, there is a tab that says "upload attachments". Click on that and you can add your pictures. I have changed the picture settings several times over the last couple of years. Currently you can upload up to 8 photos (or other attachments) in each post. I have opened up the size of the photo that can be posted and I think you can post pictures up to at least 4 meg.

Give me a call if you have any problems.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
davida

Post by davida »

I tried to upload the attachment but it says "the extension Ink is not allowed."

David
Ok, I think maybe I figured this out
Attachments
polished up wheels
polished up wheels
wheel before polishing
wheel before polishing
Here is the shock installed on the bogie
Here is the shock installed on the bogie
8 new shocks ready to install
8 new shocks ready to install
beam on the bottom stop
beam on the bottom stop
Here is the beam hanging on the bottom stop oiled up and ready to raise.  Note the clean threads.  I screwed the nut up the rod and cleaned the threads.  I could turn it by hand
Here is the beam hanging on the bottom stop oiled up and ready to raise. Note the clean threads. I screwed the nut up the rod and cleaned the threads. I could turn it by hand
Last edited by davida on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Hi David

Sounds like you are trying to post pictures that are hosed on a different site. The upload option is for pictures on your computer or phone.

If you are linking to something like photobucket, then you will need to post the link using the url option. Photobucket has gotten a bit complicated on posting pictures and I have lost track of how you do that.

We discourage folks from using third parties to post their picture here. The main reason is that some of the third parties have made major changes that break all the links to pictures posted over the years. Eric Brown had that problem with one site and it took him many hours to get everything squared away. When you upload from your computer, the photos are hosted here and are safe as long as this site is in existence.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
davida

Post by davida »

wrench picture 1 7/8"
Attachments
eaglebus wrench 001.JPG