Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Contact Information: ... Email: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com ... Text: three zero three 478-3501

Update 6/13/2024 For the next few days I will be "offline" while I undergo back surgery. Hopefully all will go well with the website and forum. Details of recent problems and reconstruction plans here: viewtopic.php?p=33804&sid=91e6bc9a093a1 ... 303#p33804

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Clutch problems

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F419288
Bus Model: 1967, SILVER EAGLE, MODEL 01 SE, 4 SPEED MANUEL, VIN # 7080

Clutch problems

Post by sunlovers »

Here is a problem that I have never encountered. I went to the bus the other day to start her up, no problems but when I went to mover the bus the clutch pedal wanted to stay on the floor. I got under the drivers area (behind the front bumper) to check things out and found that the return spring was in good shape and not rusted or stretched out. I had the wife press the clutch pedal so I could check things out and saw nothing wrong. I did have the clutch adjusted about six months ago and made a 600 mile trip with no problems in fact it seems to shift better now than before. I still has the factory Spicer 4 speed. My question is, what could be causing this to happen?
thanks in advance for your help
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
'67 Model 01 SE, 4 speed man.
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
goldgiter
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle Model 10
Quit'n Time

Re: Clutch problems

Post by goldgiter »

Mike I don't have a clue what the problem is but will be glad to come help you out.
I am an expert at dumb looks, head scratching and cussing. :lol:
Let me know if I can help.

Wes
Wes Jackson
85 Eagle Model 10
Quit'n Time
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

At the rear find the air assist for the clutch when they get out of adjustment or gummed up the cylinder will break over center and the pedal will stick to the floor lot's of PB will solve it most of the time
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member

Post by sunlovers »

Clifford, is it in the tunnel or in the open area above the rear end? I haven't had my head back there yet....LOL

Wes, thanks for the comments. You gotta laugh as well as cry with these babies.
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

The clutch assist is under the first cover in the tunnel, to the right of the driver seat. That's where mine is.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member

Post by sunlovers »

Paul,
Are you saying on the landing at the top of the entry steps or up on the main floor just past the last step? If its the latter I will have to take the carpet and padding up and hope that when they built the bus they didn't put down plywood underlayment.
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member

Post by sunlovers »

Got the clutch problem fixed without tearing up the floor. I took all the side panels off the tunnel from in the bays and washed all the slide bushings with PB Blaster. It really freed up the clutch. While in there I also worked on the throttle system in the same manner, boy what a difference. I will give it a week and see how it works.
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Mike, thanks for the update. It is always good to hear how the problem was solved.

I am always concerned that penetrating oil products, like PB blaster, do not have long lasting lubrication properties. Are you going to use some other lubrication product before you button it up?

I have tried to think what I would use. If the area is exposed to dust (likely) you would want to be careful of any kind of "sticky" lubricant. I don't picture a silicone type spray as being good for the application.

I would be tempted to try a moly based spray chain lube such as this one: http://www.lpslabs.com/site_files/tech_ ... _02416.pdf

Any thoughts from others?

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member

Post by sunlovers »

Well I gave it a week so here's what happened.
I was getting ready to head to the mountains for a couple of days at the SEBusnuts rally. I went a day before leave out to double check everything. Started the bus and let her air up, got in the drivers seat and pushed on the clutch and let out on the clutch, NO FULL TRAVEL. Clutch pedal moved much better than before but now wouldn't come back to the top. Went outside and opened drivers side panel door to check things and spray. While spraying I moved my head in such a way that I saw the rod that the clutch return spring was attached to and noticed a nut about half way down the rod (had not seen this before, must not have been in the right position). I got to feeling around and felt that it was threaded and that there was another nut on the other end of the rod (which goes thru the frame). I figured that this was the whole problem with the clutch. I tightened the nut and tightened the lock nut (pulled the rod back to the lock nut position). I aired the bus up and pressed the clutch pedal and WOW what a difference, all the way up and faster.
We drove to the rally< missed the turn off and drove 60 plus miles in the mountains in first and second gear with no problems. Spent the night in a small mountain town, up early the next morning and back down the mountain to the rally. checked the lock nut at the rally and when we returned home and nuts are still tight and in place. Now we are ready for the next adventure!
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

We all need another adventure in May. How bout it? Especially before it gets too hot...
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...