Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com

Update 5/11/2024 Down again!!! We violated our data storage limit. Long story -- see this link for details: viewtopic.php?p=33804&sid=91e6bc9a093a1 ... 303#p33804
A total reconstruction of the site is being planned.

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

We are planning a total reconstruction of the website and forum

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

We are planning a total reconstruction of the website and forum

Post by beltguy »

Subtitled: Our Website and Forum structure is a quagmire

Tuesday 4/30/2024

My apologies for the problems that we have had the past few days.

If you think the forum has a problem, please text me at: 303-four seven eight-3501,

None of our information is at risk, but both the website and forum file structures need to be completely reorganized and updated.  More in a later post.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Our Website and Forum structure is a quagmire

Post by beltguy »

A bit of background here.  We started this forum in October of 2008.  Since that time there have been several software updates and many modifications to our file structure.  The same is true of the website.  In that same time frame GoDaddy in particular, and the industry in general, has updated their platforms many times.  The industry updates have been dictated by server technology evolution, dealing with malicious spam bots and hackers.  You all see this with all the Windows and cell phone updates (many of these updates occur on an almost weekly basis).

All of these updates make our internet safer and, for the most part, easier to use.  But they create havoc for those of us who administer/maintain websites and forums.  Couple that with my less than stellar skills and the results are that our file structure looks like "Fibber Mcgee's closet".  I have been able to keep our sites running with not too many problems -- until this past week.  In total we were down for three different reasons.  These were partly a case of bumping up against the latest GoDaddy/industry updates.

Both our website (WordPress platform) and forum (phpbb platform) are considered to be current, but there are significant updates to both platforms that need to be performed.  However, our biggest problem is that our PHP (the software that connects our website and forum platforms to the databases that contain all of our data) version needs to be updated, but there are issues that do not allow the update until the other platforms are updated.  Bottom line, we need to start over with a clean sheet.

In the next post I will describe my plans for the project.

Again, I want to emphasize that none of our fantastic, huge amount of data is at risk.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

In late June, I will have back surgery and the recovery is very restrictive and long.  For 6 weeks, I will not be able to do much in the shop {OH NO!!!}.

I plan on using that time to totally reconstruct our website and forum.  As a reader you will not see much, if any, change in appearance.  And, as I have mentioned before, all of our data is in a database format and will not be affected by the "rebirth" of our site/forum.

I will build and test the new sites on my personal hosted account on GoDaddy so that there will be minimal interruption to our online sites. 

I have used the term "sites" (plural) since, currently, the website is on eaglesinternational.net and the forum is on eagles-international.net.  There was a reason to split them up many years ago, but the rebuild will only be on eaglesinternational.net.  The eagles-international.net site will simply have a page that points to the new location.

Well, that is my plan.  We will see if it works out.

As a side note, the organization of our personal websites on GoDaddy is even more screwed up and I will also be working on that during by "recovery" period.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thank you Jim for all you do and big salary that comes with it. ( big grin ) Good luck with your surgery  keep us posted
Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: We are planning a total reconstruction of the website and forum

Post by beltguy »

I changed the title of this thread so that folks don't think we are going to go into a full blown crash.

Simply said, over the past 15 plus years, our file structure of both the website and forum has become very cluttered.  This, together with some other "challenges", drives the need to totally reconstruct our sites.  As noted earlier, I will devote all of the resources needed during my surgery recovery period.  In the mean time,  I have started a test site on my private GoDaddy hosted account and have been doing a bit of research on the process as time permits

All of the pages and forum threads are contained in databases and none of those will be affected.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
goldeneagle
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F299092
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by goldeneagle »

Thanks for all you do Jim. Sounds like a lot of work to me.
Marty
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

5/11/2024 Down again.

Well, we got taken down for using too much disc storage!  Our hosting account is  "Web Hosting Ultimate".  We upgraded a few years ago because of some issues and I was told we had what I pictured as unlimited storage - not the case.

We went over our limit because I have been making some backups in anticipation of our reconstruction.  Those backups are huge files and that put us over the edge.  GoDaddy gave me a 24 hour "get out of jail" to delete some of what I earlier call the quagmire. 

More fun.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO