Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

vin number

This is a public forum that will facilitate **DOCUMENTATION** of Eagle Bus History. Posting of historical documents and photos is encouraged. Questions about individual bus history (VIN) should be posted in the General Eagle Chat forum.
Gchapman
Bus Model: 1975 eagle 05

vin number

Post by Gchapman »

I need help my eagle  #8980D  title  says it is a1975 . but all i find says it is a 1973 .I had dmv ck and they could only go back to 1994  it was a 75 then Can someone help me please?

beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: vin number

Post by beltguy »

Hi Gene

Welcome to our forum.

VIN or production numbers have been documented by two different folks.  The first was done by J. Bowman (data contained in this link).  The other data was documented by Joe Richards (this link).

According to the Bowman data your bus is a Model 05 made in 1973.  The Richards data also shows it to be a 1973 and sold to a bus company named Southern

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: vin number

Post by beltguy »

Does the bus have the original vin plate on it.  That plate is usually (at least for a model 10) silver maybe 5 inches wide by 8 inches tall with black background and silver letters as I recall.  On Model 10 (all I have personal data on) is mounted on the wall above and to the left of the driver's shoulder.  I am sure you would have seen it if it was there.  If the bus has been converted, there is no telling where it is.

The real dilemma is how to handle the situation with your DMV.  If it is already titled in your name, I would just let it ride as is. It is doubtful that anyone would ever dispute that it is really a 1973 since, as you point out, most of the old records at DMV are not available. 

If you have not licensed it yet, the easy way out would be to just let the DMV license it as a 1975 per the above comments.  It is possible that it was manufactured in late 1973 and not sold until late 1974 (as a 1975 model).  Go with that and bet heavily that no one will dispute you {grin}.  Trying to get the title converted from a 1975 year to 1973 could easily turn into a bag of worms.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.