Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

gsriley1's Model 10 (Then there were two!)

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
gsriley1
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle Model 10

gsriley1's Model 10 (Then there were two!)

Post by gsriley1 »

I was on the verge of spending what ever it took to make the ol' Model 1 roadworthy when I was told about another bus only five miles from my house.

John Vickers sent me an e-mail suggesting I should meet Phil Brooks a fellow Magnoliaite and long time bus nut. Phil was enthusiastic about showing me the bus and said he really needed to sell her. I should also mention that Phil built furniture as his lifelong trade.

The bus was not built to be "bling" but to meet the needs of Phil and his wife and incorporate the lessons he learned on his previous GM PD4106 (I think.)

Our new Bus was sold new to Houston Metro in August 1985 (Thanks Dreamscape) and is an original Houston bus. Phil acquired her around 2000 and spent two years raising the roof and attending to every detail.

The bus is an 8V92T with a Voith electronic transmission, power steering, and retarder.

She has a heat pump in the basement with custom vents through the roof. As Phil knows firsthand about the SE Texas heat and humidity he utilized state of the art insulation. The roof of the bus is painted in insulated paint (I'm sure some of you bus nuts can tell me exactly what this is.) The interior roof was lined with spray on ceramic insulation, followed by a layer of expanding foam. All of the exterior walls and every crack and crevice also is foam insulated.

She has 10KW Yanmar "pure sine wave" generator power by a liquid cooled 4 cyl Kubota diesel. She also has a battery bank and pure sine wave invertor. There are ample 110 volt outlets throughout the all electric coach. The shore power cord is 50 amps.

The fresh water tank is 100 gallons and features a reverse osmosis water filtration system. The 100 gallon baffled black water tanks were custom built by Phil and allow for draining gray water or black water at owners discretion.

She is wired for cable tv, and telephone with a wind out roof top antenna. The refrigerator is an apartment size unit but there is plenty of room for even the largest side by side. All of the cabinetry is custom built by Phil and was designed to last several lifetimes. She isn't bling but my wife can't believe all of the custom features incorporated into the cabinets (photos to follow.)

The bathroom has a full size walk-in shower, and full size vanity, and two medicine chests. Again, not bling but uber-functional and well built.

The stateroom has a built in bureau and closet with custom tv alcove. There are phone jacks on both sides of the queen size bed.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the point. We joked about the Model 01 being the bus of our dreams, but in reality it was inexpensive, nearby, and I was a ichin' to get up to my elbows in "bus grease!"

We don't plan on making lots of radical changes, just improving on a well engineered, and well built coach. Oh yeah, Mama says In Motion Satellite is a must....after all we are 5KidzKrazy.

Photos coming tomorrow.
Greg & Ronnie
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: gsriley1's Model 10 (Then there were two!)

Post by Dreamscape »

Sounds great Greg,

Looking forward to seeing your new toy at TBR!

Now all you have to do is change your signature line! :lol:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Greg, do you know who installed the 8v92 and if the cooling system been up graded.
I just ask because I have never seen a Voith behind a 8v92 and never knew of Houston Metro having any 8v92 in their Eagles.
Did you buy it from the guy east of Dobbins on 105 by the railroad overpass
I Have a question for you is Goodson's still open in Tomball and Frank Hoffort in Dobbins

good luck
Clifford
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

I should have read 6V92 (it had been a long day.) I'll post pics in a few minutes. It takes a few minutes to load them onto my web server and post the hyperlink. Last night we were exhausted!

If you mean Goodson's Cafe in Tomball, yep they are still open.

No, I didn't buy the bus in Dobbin. It has been in Magnolia for several years, but out of sight.

I went several times to try and make contact with the guy that has the Model 01 in Dobbin, but could never find anyone. My secretary knows the people that rent the house adjacent to that property, but the say noone has been behind the fence where the 01 is for several years.

There used to be two buses there, but the only one left is the Model 01 minus drive train. I could have used some parts off that one for my Model 01. I'm not sure when the second bus disappeared but I don't think it has been all that long.

Speaking of my Model 01, it needs to go away! I'll post something separately on For Sale section.
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Greg, that guy has a ranch at Kerrville and uses that one bus to pick up people for hunting at his place.
I have met him several times over the years.
I also have a friend that owns or did Haven RV park now a KOA across from Walden

good luck
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

Well, we have made three trips in the Magnolia Eagle, and spent our first two nights on her this past weekend. I've gotta say we absolutely love this bus!

She has lots of custom touches usually found in much more expensive coaches. I still can't believe we found such an awesome coach in our price range. I promise to post a video in the near future. I've been incredibly busy, and when I'm not the weather won't cooperate.

Coming home last evening I looked down a couple of times to see we were cruising at 75! She felt totally stable at those speeds, and I seemed to be holding her back!

On our first trip to Galveston we met Clifford & Sonja by accident. We were parked along the seawall, and they happened to be having lunch across the boulevard.

I have had a couple of minor starting issues related to bad battery cables. I got a minor heart attack coming home late one night when the voltage dropped. The engine was still running, but apparently the voltage was too low to engage the solenoids on the Voith transmission. I was temporarily stranded on a lonely dark road...not much fun with the entire famdamily in the bus! For a moment I was having visions of a monster tow bill. However, I wiggled the batter cables and the headlights brightened, and more importantly the trans shifted into gear.

I replaced all of the start batteries and battery cables, now I think we now have that issue sorted out. My gas gauge and dash light are still inoperable, so that will be the next project.

Ronnie plans on changing the interior color, and want to replace the counter tops with granite, or something else nice. The floors are real parquet with a very light finish. We are going to sand and apply a darker stain (five kids donchaknow!) Lots, and lots of other upgrades too.

In the mean time we have a nice usable coach!
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

Gotta See Some Pictures Of The Bus.

What Kind Of Hot Rods You Got? Ive Noticed Your Avatar.

Thanks
JOHN 8-)
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

I only have a Corvair at the moment, but have owned more cars than I can count. I also write regularly for Old Cars Weekly, and my work has appeared in Sportscar Market, and lots of club publications. I've also written two auto technical manuals, and co-authored the historical text, "Black Gold to Bluegrass."

Here are a couple of exterior pictures. I'll take some of the interior shortly...keep in mind it isn't fancy, but we've found it ot meet our needs perfectly. We will be using her for lots of car shows next Spring.
Greg

This one was the day we brought her home before she was cleaned up...

Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Greg, Nice looking Eagle Thank You for Sharing

Wayne
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

Good Looking Eagle Greg.There So Nice When There Freash & New (too you).
We Are Car Guys Over Here Also....BIG TIME.
I Take My Eagle To Swap Meets And Sell Vintage Auto Parts.You Can Sure Get Alot Of Stuff In Those Baggage Bins.
Well We Went To Two Meets This Year Anyway.Hope To Do More Next Year.
I Look Forward To Seeing More Of Your Bus.
10-4

JOHN
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500