Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

1994 Model 15/45 By Wayne Schell

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Re: 1994 Model 15/45 By Wayne Schell

Post by Eagle Andy »

Very NicweWyane, Looking forward to seeing her 8-)
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Rear valves
Rear valves
Another view of Treadle
Another view of Treadle
Ford Treadle
Ford Treadle
Post 18 ABS Disk Brakes
When I was in the process of the rebuild I wanted to but disk brakes on the 15. With the help of Dan Leintz and Craig at Silver Eagle bus we were able to get disk brakes for the 15 that would bolt on the Eagle wheel ends.( There is one thing that had to be done and that was to swap the c arm side for side on the front end.) They are Meritor brakes. Some have tried to get these brakes but I understand Meritor is not that easy to work with. I cannot see anything special about the parts. They look like the ones I seen at Sam Caylors place. The one thing that might be special is the backing plate ( spider ), but I can’t believe Meritor made a special spider for a very few sales. If I was a betting man I would think they had them on the shelve and just had to match them up. After all the wheel ends don’t look that much different than others that I have seen. I would think that if someone has a bunch of time on their hands that the correct parts could be found.
I used the Bendix dual system layout for the brakes on the bus. I used a hanging treadle from a ford truck as all the peddles hang and are not floor mounted. I also added Bendix modulator valves at all the wheel ends for ABS. I used colored tubing to make it easier to follow the lines for the primary and secondary systems.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

air lines in tunnel
air lines in tunnel
more valves
more valves
Attachments
Rear Brakes
Rear Brakes
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Everytime I look at this thread Wayne it just amazes me. I always end up looking at every page over and over. NICE!!!!! Cant wait to see it done.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

D50 on engine cradle
D50 on engine cradle
Clutch and driveshaft
Clutch and driveshaft
Fan and Hub City Box
Fan and Hub City Box
Post 19 A bit of house cleaning

In earlier post there are pictures and write ups about the engine fan and the dash air compressor. The engine fan was ran off the crank pulley through a two speed transmission then forward to an Eagle right angle box. Sometimes my thought process gets sidetracked and I do some dumb things and this is one of them. This has all been changed. The fan is ran through a Horton clutch then forward to a hub city right angle box. The Horton clutch makes more sense as it can be controlled by the engine ECM. I used parts that I got from Caylor in Kansas. I got a right angle box from Sam that is used in the MCI. When I got the box I saw that it was a hub city box with tapered shafts. That is an MCI thing. I found a hub city box that was the same as the MCI box without the tapered shaft for about 600 dollars. The MCI box is 3600. The Eagle box is rated at 26 horse power and the Hub City box is rated at 52 horse power. It was a no brainer to go with the Hub City box. I used a driveshaft to connect the box and the clutch. I also made a shroud for the driveshaft in case it came apart so it would not tear up the engine compartment.
I made a custom mount on the engine that held 2 140 amp alternators. This was in place of one alternator and the dash air compressor. I then mounted the compressor on the engine cradle. I decided to use a d50 alternator so I could run one of my cruise airs when driving. The original mount was used to hold one alternator and the dash air compressor. The D50 was then mounted on the engine cradle and ran off the engine crank pulley.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thank You Steve.

The picture of the D50 cut off the right side of the picture for some reason and that is the D50

Click on the picture and it will load the whole picture.

Wayne
Gwaltnak
FMCA #: F437640
Bus Model: 1968 GMC 4107 baby buffalo, soon to change...

Post by Gwaltnak »

I'm curious about the dual muffler setup, could you give more details on that please?

By the way, this bus is a masterpiece, thank you for sharing! Your talent is inspiring!
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Gwaltnak, Thank You. I came off the turbo with a 5X4X5 tee. The 5 inch points down to a muffler with a 5 inch inlet and out let. The 4 inch is is piped up and behind the engine to a muffler on the curb side of the bus. The whole system is wrapped in insulation that keeps the heat in the system.That is for 2 reasons the hotter the system is the better exhaust moves and it keeps the engine compartment cooler. This bus is being built for fuel mileage. I wanted the engine to have all the air it needed in ( dual air filters ) and little back pressure in the exhaust.

Wayne
34kw
Bus Model: 1984 Eagle Model 10 8V71 Allison - Entertainer Coach

Post by 34kw »

I just found this thread and your craftsmanship is amazing. When folks are poring over enlarged pictures of your every design and every weld, it has to be right - and it is. Very, very nice. I have a lot of questions as I am considering a similar drive axle set up for my 1984 Model 10. Is there a reason that you used an Eagle drive axle? In my area truck axles are much easier (and I would think cheaper) to come by.
!984 Model 10 8V71 Allison
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Sorry for not getting back to you have been hunting and on personal business. I used the Eagle axle because it bolts up to the springs without welding anything to the drive axle housing. Also the third member turns the correct way. If you use a drive axle from a truck you will need to turn it over, that is not a big problem it has been done many times. Sonnies bus that is for sale on this site is done that way. I got the idea from Sonnie to do away with the dropbox and used the tag axle that he used. I later learned that Eagle used a tee drive set up in some 35 footers with a 6-92 engine, so I knew they made that type of axle. I was lucky enough to fine a new one that was bought at the factory sale. Thank you for the kind words. I should get caught up we my thread. I am way behind as I will have the bus back together and have a complete shell in 2 or 3 months then on to the inside.

Wayne