Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

1994 Model 15/45 By Wayne Schell

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

1994 Model 15/45 By Wayne Schell

Post by rusty »

Post # 1
1994 Eagle Model 15/45
Serial # 1EUBR6A15RB001032
Factory Seies 60 with world Trans.

A little bit about the posting of my article. I have been working on this project for more than a year. About every week or so I will post another section untill I get caught up. I have not learned how to post pictures at this time. I will learn these skills soon and post pictures. I have been told I can edit each post and insert pictures

I purchased the bus in June 2004. The bus sat for 3 yaers ( long story).
Starting in 2007 the bus was completely stripped. I blocked the bus at 6 points as near to ride height as possible and as level as possible. I then removed most of the metal from bulkhead 4 to bulkhead 8 and just above the main truss frame. At a later time I removed bulkhead 8 and everything to the rearend frame. This includes the main cross truss that is at an angle across the rear of the bus.
Attachments
image3.jpg
image0.jpg
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: 1994 Model 15/45 By Wayne Schell

Post by rusty »

Post #2

The rebuild begins.
The lower rail of the main truss frame was replaced using 3X1 1/2 11 ga. tube from bulkhead 6 to the rearend frame. Note: stringlines were put in place to keep the tube straight and level. Note: the last 2 feet of the tube angles in 3/4 of an inch.
I am using a T-drive axle ( orginal Eagle parts) in the foward position, or between bulkheads 6&7. This is not a new idea. Eagle built the 01's that way. In the end Eagle built one or two that way. Silver Eagle is building their buses that way now.I know of two other people that have redone their bus that way. Not to mention a guy in Texas with a yellow motor in his bus. My reason for doing it is to get rid of the dropbox. One:I don't think the dropbox was made for the higher horsepower motors. Two: Dropboxes use more horsepower. Three: More choices of gear ratios. Four: A longer driveshaft. By moving the rearend foward the turning radius is about the same as a 40' bus.
Bulkheads 6&7 were replaced using 2 1/2 X 1 1/2 11ga. tubing. They were put back pretty close to stock with a couple of minor adjustments. These bulkheads were moved back 5 inches. The reason is so the torsilastic tube does not stick into the rear bay. The center tunnel section was widened to 34 inches. The hardest part of building these bulkheads is keeping them straight. They are built in a jig at the factory and are easier to keep straight. When building them a piece at a time in place and all the welding required they tend to move. Note: In the picture I welded an 1 1/2 tube across the bottom to help keep it straight. If you take your time it will help, but they still move. If I did it again I would build a jig.
Attachments
Torsilastic mount
Torsilastic mount
W_Schell_Project_(4)_500.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Main frame truss rebuild
Main frame truss rebuild
W_Schell_Project_(3)_500.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Wow! You guys that are willing (and capable) of going all the way down to the framework really have my respect! It is scary enough just having to put sides and caps on my bus!

Wayne, I enjoyed seeing your first bus. I can't imagine how great this one is going to be since you can apply to this one all you learned on the first one!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Hi Wayne,

All I can say is "Hot Dam" another stripped down Eagle getting a new lease on life!

Between you and Steve, I wonder who will win?

Great job and you gotta have some guts for starting this project. My hats off to you! ;)

This is gonna be fun to watch the progression on.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Post 3

Bulkhead 8 was replaced using 3 X 3 X 1/4 tube on the bottom,the top and the truss on each side of the tunnel was made using 2 1/2 X 1 1/2 11 ga. tubing. With bulkheads 6,7 & 8 in place I finished removing the main frame truss. The reason for removing it is because I moved the three bulkheads back 5". When this is done it moves the stress points of the frame. Using 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 11 ga. tubing I replaced the truss section of the main frame.
The original cross frame at the rear of the bus was layed back at an angle from the factory. I think this was done to make room for more seats. I removed the cross frame and replaced it standing up. By doing this I made room for dual air cleaners one on each side at the original air intake grills. I made room in the middle of the frame so I could remove the valve cover of the motor. The rear cross frame was covered with 14 ga. metal and the two air cleaners were welded in place. I am using two air cleaners to make sure the motor gets all the air it needs.
I replaced all 4 of the wheelwells on the rear of the bus with 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 tubing. A company in Denver rolled the radius for me. All four of the wheelwells will be the same size. Eagle had an oddball size at the boggie axle. I have not figured out why they did this.
The drive Torsilastic springs were mounted and the T-Drive rearend housing was mounted in place. A new traction bar was fabricated. The original bar was about 7' long. With the new configuration the new bar is about 3' long. It runs from the rearend to the rear of the back bay. Because the rear bay will contain all of the water and waste water tanks and about 60 gallons of fuel and the traction bar mount I strenghted the floor of the bay. The mounts for the traction bars at the axle was modified to make room for the disk brakes and the new configuration of the traction bar.
Attachments
Torsilastic and drive axle in place
Torsilastic and drive axle in place
Bulkhead # 8
Bulkhead # 8
Schell_Project_(1)_500.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Rear cross frame with raised section for valve cover removal
Rear cross frame with raised section for valve cover removal
14 Ga metal covering rear cross frame
14 Ga metal covering rear cross frame
Donaldson air cleaner curb side
Donaldson air cleaner curb side
curbside air cleaner 75 % finished
curbside air cleaner 75 % finished
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Hi Wayne,man I hope to have my own shop within the year to maybe take on a project like that,guess it's always been LOCATION<LOCATION<LOCATION :) .Going into retirement I'm gonna need a place to play and this here town house we're in right now just aint gonna cut it,no noise til 7am no noise after 10 pm rules /rules /rules,I hate it .Back out to the woods for Cheryl and I where we can live unrestricted.
Some day a shop
Van
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Wayne shes looking good. Just courious what the "torsion type" spring above the rear door is for. I am guessing its for the access door but it looks big for that??? I have never seen a newer model eagle like this one so its nice to see some of the updated things. Looks like the side walls have more support angles than the 5s also.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Hey steve I got one just like that it's for the rear door ,doesn't want to loosen up for an adjustment on mine (Just stubburn),takes 10 men and a little boy to lift the darn door :x ,but it's all good :D 8-)
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Van It will come be patient.

Steve The spring is for the panographic engine door. ( the whole door opens up) I think the extra support in the frame is for the 45'

I what to thank Jim for posting the pictures. He is teaching me to post I wil graduate class soon and be able to do it myself Maybe.

Wayne
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Atta Boy. 8-)