Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Re: Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

Post by frodnew »

Excellent information. Thank you all!!
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Just a quick update on the status of where I'm at.

1. Bus is still in NC and she's fine. They've had some serious weather this year including a big dump of snow up where the bus sits.
2. Owner took pics this morning in/out and no leaks which is always a good sign.
3. Running condition is as stated. He said that she starts, runs fine but was concerned about the tranny. I didn't know this but she'll run fine down here to Fla no problem. Issue was that in cold weather, the tranny needs a little time to "warm up" before she shifts like she's supposed to. I don't know the details but a suggestion was to take it to a shop that he's very familiar with and have them dump the tranny fluid and change it and the filter(s). Guys, I'm ok on having this done since nobody is certain that last time it was done but can anyone tell me the way it really works when it comes to bus engines and tranny's, ie, when it's cold, it's cold and needs heaters on it, etc... Will the fluid/filter change help it? I know the seller is doing the best he can under his schedule and the shop's but I had to ask.
4. Lastly, I forgot that I uploaded many more detailed photos of the bus to my Google Docs and so have ways to upload more details of any part of the bus. For now, I'll simply post these as of this morning.

Hope everyone is staying warm,
Attachments
Bus D.JPEG
Bus D.JPEG (99.45 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Bus C.JPEG
Bus C.JPEG (85.17 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Bus B.JPEG
Bus B.JPEG (76.18 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Bus A.JPEG
Bus A.JPEG (87.09 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

The thing about the transmission not shifting well until it is warmed up might be a sign of trouble. I have driven a few different makes of buses as charter buses in cold weather, and I don't recall any particular difference in shifting. The first thing I would check is whether it has transmission fluid or motor oil in it. The color will tell you which, and then check whether the fluid looks dark or dirty in color compared to when it was fresh, and whether the level is low. I have the Allison HT740 in my Eagle (4 speed), you might have a five or six speed Allison, or some other brand. Grill the owner as to what it has, and what fluid it has. If the color looks good, I don't see the need to change the oil, but maybe change the filter.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Update on the transmission. I have an Alison HT-740, 4 speed automatic transmission.
Fluids and filter will be changed which I don't mind. Color did not show any oil but it did show that it should probably be changed.
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Meant to ask where should I begin on getting better seats for myself and co-pilot? Purchase online? Used from an RV dealership? Are there things to consider when wanting one and a head's up on installation? If I need to order some, I better get started because I'm going to want to get this baby on the road asap and would like my lady by my side.

Thanks!!
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

colaws rv salvage in Missouri
Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Can't speak to the model 15, but if it is the same as a model 10, there is not much room for a thick back seat. If the driver's area has been modified, all bets are off.

My bus had an air seat, and I kept it, but changed the seat to an Astro Van seat. In my working days, I put a lot of long days in an Astro van when I was on special assignment and I really like the feel of that seat. The back is thin and you can get a lot of clearance between the back of the seat and the steering wheel.

Many years ago, folks used plush seats out of ritzy American cars, but they are pretty thick. Today, as Wayne mentioned, there are lots of options in RV salvage yards. Again, they are pretty thick.

Another option are semi-truck seats. They are made to be comfortable (and adjustable) so that the driver can put in tons of time in the seat.

For the copilot seat, you can use about anything. We use a top-of-the-line RV seat with all the bells and whistles.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Wayne and Jim:

Thank you! I'll get started on doing the research and making calls as well. Anyone have suggestions on website to review for co-pilot seats or truck driving seats? I ask because I usually save favorites on websites myself as a quick reference but not on things like this. I'm thinking that maybe someone has done this already.
I wish I was close to an RV salvage as that would be a nice place to hang out for awhile unfortunately, I can't find one anywhere near Jacksonville, Fl.
The info about the driver's seat is interesting. I never thought of wanting a thin back due to the close proximity of the steering wheel. I weigh a modest buck 75 so can squeeze into narrow places easy, however, having the comfort of sleep number would be nice on my skinny little rump.
Added are some pics I took from the summer when I went up to look at her. If anyone thinks that the pilot seat is ok to keep, I'll keep er. If you see anything else that sparks you, please let me know. She's a dirty bus for sure.

Thank you guys!
Attachments
Pilot Seat.JPG
Pilot Seat.JPG (143.17 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Guage.JPG
Guage.JPG (112.89 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Right Side of Steering.JPG
Right Side of Steering.JPG (89.71 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Heat Control Switches.JPG
Heat Control Switches.JPG (102.3 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Drivers Window.JPG
Drivers Window.JPG (107.21 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

I feel dumb for not thinking of this before, but in Nebraska our biggest enemy in winter is the fuel gelling up. The further below freezing it gets, the worse it gels.
It would be a good idea to ask the seller if he has put in any antigel solvent in it recently.
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Actually, it's a great question which I will be asking. The temps in the daytime have been in the 50's but at night they drop into the 30's. I'm not sure at what point you want to add anything to the fuel before it starts to gel. Are there rules that you all have pertaining to driving any bus in cold weather and what would that be? I know here in Jax, Florida, I need anti-gel because I'm freezing with our nightly 50's temps!
Seriously, I didn't think of the fuel additive so I'll ask. I appreciate you asking and will be back at ya soon.