Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Re: Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

Post by frodnew »

Quick Saturday Update:

I've had to work quite a bit in order to make that diesel money ;-) Catching you guys up on what else I can do.

Tire Pressure: I posted a pic of the plate. Tires on bus sidewall say 120psi. Due to no seats, no large powerhouse generator, empty bays, etc...I set the psi at 100psi in front and 90's in the back.
Tomorrow, depending on weather, I'll be using the whole day to work on bus. I'll take it to get weighed and look into the oil analysis as well because this location has it all. I'll update you on this info when I can but will do as you guys say.

Emergency exits: There is a lot of rust damage around this location and I've decided not to keep it as an exit. I understand the reasons on why to keep it but due to my location, lack of school bus yards and other, I'm making an executive decision to close it up. I know where it's at and as I continue to work on the bus/roof, I'll keep looking online for a 27"x27" used exit in good shape but I'm telling you, they're hard to find.

Otherwise, lots of tools were purchased to make the job on the roof easier and safer as well as prepping for the inevitable down the road. The rally was a great last minute decision to see buses both new and beautiful and old and still in the works. When I thought that we had serious roof leaking issues, I never realized that others at a rally would have them too. Made me feel a little better knowing that the just having or being in a bus is worth the wetness sometimes.

OK, I have to run to work but will be back soon with more updates. Hopefully, pics so you understand my dilemma.

Thanks guys!!
Eric
Attachments
Plate above pilot's seat
Plate above pilot's seat
VIN Plate.JPG (118.12 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Hi Eagle Fans:

It's been quite awhile since my last post with the bus and since then we were able to get the nasties taken care of on the roof and sealed up. My wife and I have taken a few trips in the bus already local and out of state and she's been running wonderfully. One of the biggest reasons for being away from the forum is that we've also moved and between that, work and some travel, we just haven't sat still.

Well, the big news is that in one of my posts I mentioned that we drove at last minute to a bus rally in Titusville, Fl. In doing so, we met many wonderful people and had the chance to see their buses and learn about the life we'll eventually learn to love. No matter who we spoke to, the name John Batten came up and was told to see him. He, too, is in Florida. Great! It took some time but we finally made contact, drove down with the bus for him to review the whole thing top to bottom. His analysis showed that the mechanics who were supposed to look over my bus prior to purchasing did but missed quite a few things. Things that you guys already mentioned from Torselastic adjustments to greasing ALL the chassis. So, we started from scratch and decided to change out the oil, filters and grease the bus the right way. I learned that there is some work to be done on the front end inside the front wheel well area due to rust but nothing to be alarmed about. Bus is an 89 and it's not as bad as some but still needs some loving. Fine. However, while in, under and around the bus John happened to pull himself from one side of the front driver's wheel to the other side and noticed the tie rod was loose. Not good! He grabbed it with both hands and he was able to move it. Bad bushings.

His mentioned that replacing both would be the best thing but finding the parts would be the problem. He explained that there are a few places that "might" have them but they might charge a hefty price. I also learned that the tie rods are universal for 05's, 10's and 15's.
Does ANYONE know where I can get a pair? I was wanting to make a drive from Florida to Kansas to see my niece graduate HS but now it looks as if I'm grounded till I can find these rods.

Sorry for the delay on the photos but these are some of the shots of what I had to go thru to remove the crap that was painted, tarred, brushed, rolled on the roof including ripping out the sun damaged emergency hatch and capping it. Based on what I can see, he original Trailways paint is on there along with at least 5 more various types of coating, primer and paint.

I appreciate any help on helping me get a pair of tie rods with good rubber. More pics coming now that I've collected quite a collection since Dec/Jan.
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (192.53 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (173.23 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (152.31 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (172.78 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Final.JPG
Final.JPG (167.55 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (157.48 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (98.61 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (75.67 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

So, reading back from the beginning of when I got this bus to now, late December, it has become amazingly clear that getting intimate with a bus is an understatement. My hats go out to everyone of you who have undertaken the incredible amount of energy and fortitude to make these machines come alive. That being said, I have learned so much since December from getting on top of the roof and grinding that crud off and sealing seams to getting in and under the bus (even more with my mechanic who can do this blindfolded-probably like many of you guys). Like a good barber, you keep him. My guy is not so local as I'd like him to be but he knows Eagles and has showed me so much more than what I "assumed" I knew from reading. Visually, I see the big picture on mechanics. Doing is another thing so his experience and patience can and will pay off down the road. He's a great teacher.
So, my wife and I have done some small trips around Florida to Alabama. The bus is not renovated, just seats removed and our camp kitchen and air mattress inside along with chairs and tables. Battery power is all we've needed but when there's a 110v we'll take it. It's been comfortable considering the cold the rest of the country has had and when it did get hot, we just cranked up the inverter and plugged in an A/C unit and enjoyed the cooler air.
Since taking our bus to JB, as he's known by, he's done a number of cross over examinations and found ours to be in great shape. The only serious rust would be the inside of the front wheel area. Since he found a loose tie rod while truly greasing the whole bus, we're on a mission to find some tie rods and see about replacing both and taking care of that rust issue in the front with some new metal.
The engine door is what he called a suicide door that lifts up. If that pin should break, look out! I'm sure some of you guys know this, too!! Who in their right mind would design such a heavy door with a garage door type spring? This, too, will be changed which I'm happy about since I feel I'm dead lifting about 150lbs each time I need to check fluids.
The tires are Japanese and rated at 120psi. I checked with the company and JB and if that's what the manufacturer says, then that's what they get. The plate above the driver's seat was designed for the late 80's when tires and materials were different so the recommended 90psi it says will have to go on the way side to history. At $450 average cost per each retail, well, you get the picture. I personally check them often with a gauge, visual and thump (sound) check. Does it sound like I'm learning something?
Torsalastics. I believe my mechanic loves Eagles strictly because of this suspension system. I got under the bus with him and we went thru everything so I could see first hand what you guys already know. He's driven and repaired many bus types but Eagles are special to his heart and I'm starting to know and understand more on why. I was relieved to learn mine is in good shape and the measurements will be properly adjusted. Back in Dec when I picked up my bus, I was told that they were adjusted but evidence showed they weren't. The good news is, JB said that they weren't bad. Not great but not bad. When the front end is taken care of, he's going to do what he does best and I hope to be a part of this learning experience even if it's watching him set the bus up. P.S. the wrench for this job is HUGE!! Harbor Freight has nothing on it!
In the meantime, the bus will come home and sit in the lot while I continue to send emails and make calls on getting some front end tie rods with good rubber bushings. As JB says, when it's sitting, there's no harm being done to it.

It's been an incredible journey so far and one that I wouldn't trade for anything. As I type now, my wife and I are in a Cracker Barrel lot for the night. Had a nice dinner, got many stares and made sure we got permission from the manager. This, I believe, is truly the first time I feel "at home" with the bus.
Attachments
Portrait with the Bus_03_2019.jpg
Portrait with the Bus_03_2019.jpg (159.14 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

I would try International Bus Parts in Apopka, FL, they still have some Eagle parts, and there is Goodson's that you already know about. You need to find out the part numbers of current items for sale by matching them up to your old ones. The size of the shafts and the thread pitch are what you need to measure, and then a good parts man could look up listings for details. The Eagle manual would be good for determining whether the same size is used in several locations.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

You could try calling james. He doesn't say anything about tie rods but you could call him and find out. http://www.eaglesinternational.net/test ... f=8&t=4844

Also, Gary at B&B coach has helped me several times. He has worked on eagles for many years. His phone is: 702 873 4415
His website is: https://www.bbcoach.com

Hope that helps!

Edit: I envy your short sleeves!!! :D :D
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Hi Guys!

So, I spent days on the phone, consistently, with the top dogs of the Eagle/Bus nation and spoke to some major players that were incredibly kind, offered advice, gave me names and numbers from California to Texas to Florida. You know what? You already know the answer. Some have closed up shop. Others passed on driving that finished Eagle in the sky. The rest have retired, sold or upgraded to Prevost (OMG!). In the end, I ended up finding new tie rods at Goodson's along with the manuals. They knew exactly what I needed without part numbers because it's a common replaced piece.
At this moment, the bus is being worked on. JB is a machine himself when it comes to getting things done and he's already on rod #2 which, when watching him replace, is well worth the price of having someone else do this. Jeez, how you pioneers did this yourself in the past is incredible!
With some luck, this will finish up on a good note and he'll move onto the train horns and install a silver eagle on the front. Here are some updated pics.
PS. So the wife and I have also been working hard on the skin and are 2/3's done and all I have to say is, "He's" going to stand tall!
PSS. Thanks for the info as well. I got a hold of Gary and many others thanks for Gary. I had some great conversations and got everything from history lessons to the way the bus market is changing. I'm glad to be a part of this and know that I'm still in the crawling phase but boy am I trying to learn how to walk quickly.
Attachments
Tie Rod Ready.JPG
Tie Rod Ready.JPG (138.45 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Triple Train Horns.JPG
Triple Train Horns.JPG (101.59 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
M with Silver Eagle Medallion.JPG
M with Silver Eagle Medallion.JPG (143.49 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Did you find out what brand and model number those tie rod ends are? Post them if you can, that will save someone else from searching endlessly. Hopefully, they were in a box or had a label of some kind. If you know the part number you can price it elsewhere at truck supply places. Looks like you two are becoming full-fledged bus nuts, and will carry on the cause when us old-timers go to Eagle Heaven (which occurs when you are buried in an Eagle). It looks like I might be getting a fourth Eagle, a 45 ft. Model 15, but it is not a done deal yet. I checked the roof very carefully, and it is not covered with layers of crud. One thing I noticed that is different from Model 05's and 10's is that the roof panels are only riveted in the top center areas, and bonded with adhesive in the side curved sections. It makes for a smoother surface that is easier to strip and paint.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Update:
Tie rods were brand new, plus I purchased the parts and maintenance manuals. The tie rods I'm told fit the 05, 10 and 15 models because Eagle never changed this, just the body types. In any case, the part name and part number JB gave me was: Connecting Rod Side Assembly
#054-0421-501. Came via UPS in a few days. JB installed them like a pro and it's a much tighter steer now. Some other pics of the job this day. I looked into trucking companies with this part and they didn't have it in my area. This part was tough to find...at least for me and like I said, I talked to quite a few qualified Eagle experts. I hope the info I did give helps anyone else in this situation.

Next visit will be to have a few additions added onto the bus and prepare it for a big trip I want to make in it to Kansas and back. Looking forward to crossing the Mississippi and hopefully seeing spring flowers from Texas on up.
Attachments
IMG_7702.JPG
IMG_7702.JPG (109.89 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
IMG_7701.JPG
IMG_7701.JPG (108.72 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Old Tie Rod.JPG
Old Tie Rod.JPG (156.23 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Rod Out.JPG
Rod Out.JPG (183.91 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Rod In.JPG
Rod In.JPG (184 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

That's the Eagle part number, were there any other numbers on the unit at all? What about on that green label wrapped around the strut?
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Nothing on the old part and as far as I could see, there was nothing on the new one either but I can find out and let you know. I'm still trying to get used to the manuals right now. Man, it's incredible the minds that put this bus together back in it's day!