Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Jmpolsfuss's 1973 Model 5

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
jmpolsfuss
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F472018
Bus Model: 1973 Silver Eagle 5

Jmpolsfuss's 1973 Model 5

Post by jmpolsfuss »

Greetings! I have been a fan of this forum since I bought my bus almost 2 years ago and I am finally ready to get to work on it. A longer story for why it's taken so long to get started but for now I need your help and advice.
My first question is about the tandem/bogey axle. How important is it. My bus does not have one. By the fit and finish of the bright work it looks like it was removed when it was built. At least to say that the aluminum plate that covers the wheel wells matches the surrounding plate perfectly. I plan to do a modest build out inside but not sure If I am looking a serious weight restriction. Also, concerned about my braking capacity.
When I look around online I don't see any other Eagles with one axle in back. One of the things that held me back so long starting this project was saving up to do engine and trans replacement. If the axle needs to be added back first is that a $3000 dollar problem or a $10000 problem?

beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Jmpolsfuss's 1973 Model 5

Post by beltguy »

James, welcome to our forum and the Eagle madness

Eagle built a two axle model 10s for a couple of years in the early 80s. Less than 100 were built. One of the criticisms was that the axle loading could exceed the road limits at the time.

Obviously yours has been modified. We had at least one member who removed the bogey and was not happy with the results. As I recall, he basically rebuilt the undercarriage with Winnebago suspension parts.

I would be concerned about overloading both the drive and front Torsilastics. Also, as you mention, there is less braking capacity.

If you consider adding a bogey, you will need to explore how much of the origianal suspension components are still there. If the Torsilastic is still there, it would not be a huge job to put the arms back in place. If it has all been removed, I would consider installing an air spring semi-trailer axle. We can help you with suppliers if you want to think about that option.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
jmpolsfuss
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F472018
Bus Model: 1973 Silver Eagle 5

Re: Jmpolsfuss's 1973 Model 5

Post by jmpolsfuss »

Thanks for the info Jim! I will make a trip to where it's stored soon to check the state of Torsilastic.