Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

1966 01 13 speed eaton project

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
1966silvereagle01
Bus Model: 1966 silver eagle 01.
VIN: 7027SILVEREAGLE

1966 01 13 speed eaton project

Post by 1966silvereagle01 »

the insides are a sight, but i know there have been worse
IMG_20150221_142355.jpg (188.45 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
here is a front view
here is a front view
IMG_20150221_143302.jpg (222.4 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
IMG_20150221_142355.jpg (188.45 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
hello and hello. i am a new owner of a shelled 1966 Silver Eagle 01 8V71 model #7027. it did have a 4 speed manual but was changed out to a 13 speed Eaton. however i have soo many questions and have no direction to start from. i live in stillwater right now and it is presently about 1.5-2 hrs away. the fellow i bought it from and myself are going to replace the 373 rear end with a 411 rear end when the weather becomes a little nicer and he gets his shop cleared out so we can do it inside. however that is not a major concern(s) in the slightest. it is a complete and deep rebuild. the rust, oh my the rust, is present but surface rust from what i have inspected thus far. its starts up fairly easy. anyway, it needs work: exhaust and mufflers, tires (will move to here but not road worthy), all 3 tanks (fresh water plastic and square, and two storage mounted steel tanks in the bays), original generator(needs serious work to operate properly, possibly sell), the original generator for the motor that turns the fan (thought about replacing with an alternator by building a bracket to run the lights and electrical and charge the batteries), some windows are broken (was going to cover them with flat metal siding) i was going to eliminate all the small windows, the top windows above the driver, the door windows at the bottom and have a solid 1 piece for the top of the door, and the 3-5 back windows maybe leaving the sides. the rubber on the windows are bad. its had critters of all kinds living in around by and chewing on it. and i have to do it slowly and on a budget. madness indeed. but in the end it will be a home for myself and my children. i apologize in advance if i am doing this all wrong. i'm not tech savvy by any stretch.
free_being
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: 1966 01 13 speed eaton project

Post by beltguy »

Temunjin, welcome to our forum.

Looks like you have a big project ahead of you. We look forward to seeing your progress. The 13 speed will make the 8V71 look like a winner.

The two things that are critical on the 01 are the tubing rust issues and the Torsilastics.

It looks like you will be exposing most of the tubing in your rebuild. Replacing tubing is not a big deal.

On the other hand, Torsilastics are a bigger deal. They are almost non-existent for the 01. Folks with 01s that have Torsilastic issues have added air springs to the front and drive axles. We have some threads on the addition of air springs.

We have all kinds of info in the tech forum. That said, don't be bashful to ask questions. A suggestion would be to keep this project thread for documenting your progress and ask the questions in the tech forum.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
1966silvereagle01

update: haven't done anything to the soon to be home except get the transmission adjustment out of the way. its still far away however, it is now able to get from there to here. it was a great feeling to get it into reverse. my daughter was present for that second session to get it adjusted, it took us two separate times just to get it that far. 4 hours of guessing resulted in a simple tightening of a nut and presto is went into reverse and we were excited. and for the past few weeks the children and i have been separating pallets, stacks and stacks and stacks of pallets for wood. i'm not going to cover up the windows after all because they are placed into a frame as a whole unit. but the back, ceiling front windows above the driver, driver side window, and the door to get into the bus are all rubber seals that are easily replaced. the door will be stripped and scrapped. too rusted and heavy. i was also wondering about a generator to alternator swap out. i have seen a few on ebay go for less than $150 and i was going to swith it out. either way i am stockpiling wood with the help of my three other palleters.
Attachments
generator or alternator
generator or alternator
IMG_20150319_180818.jpg (217.11 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
way to rusty for my taste
way to rusty for my taste
IMG_20150319_180409.jpg (210.05 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
free_being
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Thanks for the update. We will look forward to your getting the project home and, then, documenting the rebuild process. Sounds like you have a helper or two for the project :D . My daughters were grown and gone by the time I started my bus project. My wife helped when I needed an extra hand, but it was not her favorite thing to do :o :lol:

You asked about the alternator/generator and possibly converting it. I think you have a 50DN alternator that is pretty valuable if it is working. It is rated at something like 300 amps and can put out the max rating for long periods of time. It was used to handle the large AC fan loads along with other passenger bus demands.

If it is a 50 DN, some folks install a good sized battery bank and big inverter and use the high capacity of the alternator to run one of the roof or bay air conditioners going down the road.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
1966silvereagle01

engine plate found
engine plate found
IMG_20150328_152548.jpg (165.13 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
i went an checked the bus a little today. oil and what not. all in pretty good shape. i'm switching out the old generator to a alternator to sort of update the system a little. and it will help with all the wiring that i will have to replace as well. its going to eliminate almost half the wire when its all said and done. there is a ton of wiring up front by the seat and over half of that will be gone when i'm done with it. i will out a few more smaller batteries in it as well. not the ones that are in it now but a separate set of 4 or 6 maybe with an alternator to aide in charging and operating other stuff as well. i found out more about the engine and overall history of the bus as well. and it took me forever to track down some oil for it as well. finally found a place here locally. all the other places acted bewildered and confused as to my request for straight 40wt HD oil. went into one place and asked for it and said what it was for, engine, 2 stroke, just the normal stuff that ive learned recently and the person was mystified by it all. and no one and i mean no one within a few mile radius knew of any straight 40wt. it took me well over better part of a day to track it down with phone calls and driving. and only two places carry it that i have found. one in another town completely and its $55 for a 5 gallon bucket 30 minutes away or $44 for 3 gallons a few miles away. i went with a few miles away because i was tired of calling and driving. the new information about the engine is good news. turns out is has been rebuilt in 1979 as a major overhaul. and has less than 80k on the motor. and it was up in colorado for a while, which it has a block heater on it as well. plus the eaton in it makes it pretty good overall. a preacher had it for a while at one point. it also had a galley (may have mentioned it before). it mat have been operated by continental trailways as well i think. at least thats what i kind of remember from the front of the bus and from what he had told me. and next week it will be coming here to finally start its new life as a soon to be home for myself the the children.
Attachments
can anyone tell me if these are aluminum or steel.  they looked and sounded like thin aluminum.  maybe a thins steel or tin???
can anyone tell me if these are aluminum or steel. they looked and sounded like thin aluminum. maybe a thins steel or tin???
IMG_20150328_152303.jpg (165.39 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
free_being
1966silvereagle01

can anyone tell me if these are thin steel, thin tin, or aluminum tanks on this thing???? they sounded and looked like aluminum however i could be wrong
free_being
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

I think we need a better picture and description of what you think the tanks are.

From what I can see, they are not Eagle tanks.

The simple answer to your question is to test with a magnet.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
1966silvereagle01

magnet test was best option. both aluminum. no rust. i have another question about the electrical system for it. i am replacing the original 12.5kw generator that in it and putting in 2 more up to date ones. maybe 7.5kw for each. they would fit in that space with no problem whatsoever. and still have room and be lighter by far. the other one has brackets to remove it as it is very heavy. my question is this, i will be removing the engine mounted generator thats in the back to update the system as well which will get rid of about 25% of the wiring and other stuff in the back and some unneeded weight as well, where can i find a 12v alternator for it?? i found some on ebay but thought wouldn't there be a local auto parts place that might carry something for it. where could i pick an alternator up for it and how much. ebay had them listed for ~$150 free shipping
free_being
1966silvereagle01

magnet test was best option. both aluminum. no rust. i have another question about the electrical system for it. i am replacing the original 12.5kw generator that in it and putting in 2 more up to date ones. maybe 7.5kw for each. they would fit in that space with no problem whatsoever. and still have room and be lighter by far. the other one has brackets to remove it as it is very heavy. my question is this, i will be removing the engine mounted generator thats in the back to update the system as well which will get rid of about 25% of the wiring and other stuff in the back and some unneeded weight as well, where can i find a 12v alternator for it?? i found some on ebay but thought wouldn't there be a local auto parts place that might carry something for it. where could i pick an alternator up for it and how much. ebay had them listed for ~$150 free shipping
free_being
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Couple of comments.

I am not sure that trying to pair two generators is a good idea. I suspect there is some way to match the 60 cycle output, but I would think it might be a bit complicated. Honda (and others) have specially designed systems that let you pair their small (1-2K watt) generators, but I have not seen anything that would allow you to do that with bigger generators. I guess it would be possible to totally isolate them with separate inverters and circuits fed by the inverters, but that complexity would be a challenge.

Concerning the use of a more "modern" alternator for you engine, there are several options. That said, the 30DN, or whatever large generator you have, is not out of date.

The options are 1 wire vs 3 wire and what I call car vs truck level of quality. You will also find a wide range of amperage ratings.

The 1 vs 3 wire system is very well documented here: [url]http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html[/url]

The question of "quality" level is a bit obscure. You can find Delco 10-SI units on every street corner with a few different ratings. I am not a fan of these units for our buses. The reason for my reluctance is that our amperage demand is fairly high for very long periods of time (if we are charging our house batteries). I just don't think the 10-SI is robust enough.

When I added an isolated second alternator for house system only, I started off with a one wire Delco (think 12-SI) and it did not last very long. It failed when we were out in California, and I found a great alternator shop that really laid out the differences between various "small" alternators. I ended up with a Leece Neville 8LHA series alternator rated for over-the-road truck. I was very impressed with how robust the unit was.

I am on the road and can't give you the exact model I bought. They have several amp ratings. You can find new 160 amp rated units on ebay for quite a bit less than $200.

If you are going to mount it where the 30DN is located, you can use an industrial 3 groove 3V pulley and bushing that will mound on the alternator shaft. Best source for that is Motion Industries (located in most reasonable size towns).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO