Website Home | Info & Posts | Club Membership | Eagle History | Contact Us

EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
Re: EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle
Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:02 pm

I finnaly got the engine ecm reading as it should. I took the bus to williams DD to have the road speed changed from tail shaft to j1939. They did and it didnt work . Long and short the ecm said it changed but went back to default when saved???? One more thing DD didn't know about their product. I am now able to use all the features of the silverleaf.

I can now get an accurate fuel mileage reading. I am hesitant to reveal this information for fear of getting chastised as either a liar or a genie!!!! I an in Charleston, SC for the Miss South Carolina Pagent. My daughter is representing Myrtle Beach. It was app. 300 miles. Before I reveal the actual number let me say that I have an actual witness to the number on the silverleaf!!! I stopped by to see eagle owners John, and Tara Mellis on the way. I checked the sl with my gps, and speedo. It is accutate. I drove 55-60 mph the entire way. At this point the coach is in the 40k weight range.

AND NOW THE NUMBER.......................... 10.7 mpg.

Considering I was getting 5-7.5 before I am well pleased. Remember this not my guess but actual number so dont blame me blame Silverleaf.!!!LOl
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
ericbsc

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Good report. Now you can drive twice as far for the same amount of money! :lol:

I won't tell you what we got on our trip from Texas to Washington, just a tad better than yours before you changed over! :o
Becky & Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Eagle Travel Blog: https://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Dreamscape

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:50 pm

At $4.00 per gal. it pays for itself pretty quick, but on the other hand at $4.00 I can't afford to go anywhere!!!LOL
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:42 am

Verified! Thanks to the good mileage Eric was able to get some much needed snack sticks for those enjoyable trips. Why he even got some of those jars with the special stuff in them... Glad you stopped in Eric. Got me motivated again. That really is a Special Eagle you've put together!
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:05 am

Don't bank on the 10.7 mpg reading from the SliverLeaf you may be disappointed lol the trip meter will cycle and give a reading from true mileage to a value
I have friend with a Newell 51,000 lbs he beats you with a 625 hp C-15 his is reading 18.9 mpg (5.1 mpg true) that is good mileage you did good I hope you do get 10+

good luck
Clifford
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:23 pm

If I can get a true 8-9 I will be VERY HAPPY. I tried to check it manually but with the generator running a true reading. Either way I can pass when I want to not when the stars are right .LOL I am trying to decide what to do for a towed as of now we have always pulled a trailer with motorcycles. I have a brilliant plan to just pull my f-250 4wd crew cab!!! Im sure that would take care of the 10+ mpg!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Driving to Charleston I tried to stay between 60-65. On the way back fuel mileage drops by .7 mpg. Dont think I will hit that 18 plus Clifford!!LOL P.S. the boss still thinks it is around 25mpg. But come to think of it she dosen't buy the fuel so she probably could care less what I tell her!!!!!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:57 am

I had posted on the mak board that I had no lights on my shifter. I have called Allision twice and was told both times that the pad is not lit. Boomer had posted that his was lit. I was working on the jake, cruise yesterday and decided to look at the shift pad lights again. Again I called Allison and was told that the pad is not lit. I took Boomers tips and went to work GUESS WHAT??? The pad is fully lit!!!! Once again it is verified that Detroit and Allison make a great producut, but don't have a clue how to make it work!!!! Now if I can get the cruise to work the world will be good!!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:59 pm

I have a little over 50,000 miles on the coach since the repower (450 HP ISM) and the purchase of the Silver Leaf VMSpc. Lani runs a continuous log of our expenditures, mostly fuel and mileage. We have a very extensive log that shows her mpg calculations which include running with the generator and without. If we run a tank w/o the genset, we will be dead on the comparison with the Silver Leaf. If we run the genset, her mileage will show somewhat less than the S/L. The degree of variance follows the amount we have run the genset. Further validation is my GPS which shows identically the same speed as the S/L. I feel, if the ECM on the engine is calibrated correctly, the Silver Leaf is not only accurate, but extremely valuable in the information you can monitor.
I have talked with a number (a whole lot) of people that use the Silver Leaf, both self installed like me, as well as some with factory installed Silver Leaf systems in very high line motorhomes. One guy claimed his was a $14,000 extra. It looked nice, but I could not pay that much for what I saw. I will say that I have never found anyone that wasn't very satisfied with the system. The VMSpc allows me to structure the display the way I want it on my laptop. The way I did it, was to surround my S/L "gauges" up the side and across the top of the screen surrounding my GPS on those two sides. It works great for me.

Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:59 pm

I looked at all of the options. The silverleaf was the best for the money, except I wanted the glass dash. After I found out it was 12k I settled for the vmspc!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

PreviousNext

Return to Project Eagles