Website Home | Info & Posts | Club Membership | Eagle History | Contact Us

EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
Re: EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle
Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 am

I am going to mount my leese Neeville 270 amp alt. on the right. It has std v belt so I can use a 2 pc hub on it. I think the hub is the way to go for alignment also.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
ericbsc

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:47 am

Eric, as you know, there are two hub systems for industrial pulleys (I think the strange Browning hub which would be a third system is no longer made). They have the trade names of Taper Lock and QD. The QD has a big flange on the side of the pulley and does not work well on this application if you mount more than one pulley on the crank adapter. The Taper Lock hub is contained within the pulley and does not add width. Any good full line power transmission distributor (Motion Industries is the biggest) will have both types of pulleys in stock.

The pulley on your alternator will probably have automotive grooves and they are different than industrial pulley grooves. The Leese Neeville will likely have a straight shaft (not tapered) and you can install a bushed industrial pulley on that shaft. I would use a 3 groove 3V system. Assuming you have 3V sheaves on both ends, you can use a joined belt (Gates trade name is PowerBand). That will make a great drive.

On the 10, Eagle used 3 each 3V belts to drive the big alternator and industrial belts to drive the fan. You just need to be careful if you try to mix the automotive and industrial systems.

Let me know if you need any help with the belt drive (did that kind of work for Gates for 34 years).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission - not at all fancy, but fully functional
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: http://beltguy.com/blog/
Email: jim@eaglesinternational.net (Please email me rather than use the PM process)
beltguy

Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Idler pully from motor to right angle box.
I am using a combination of the Eagle 15 and 20. The pully and arn are for a 15 with a series 60, and the air cylinder is reom the ac side of a model 20. I will also have a spring over the cylinder to keep pressure when the air is down.

Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Hey Eric!

I'm gonna need that air cylinder back :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hate indian givers.................................no, I take that back! :lol:
Kevin B. Jones
Busless
Oilslick

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Only problem Kevin is it is now in several Pieces!!LOL
I have rebuilt a drive axle from a model 10 that I am going to use. I changed the gearing to a 4:11. This will also give me the bigger brakes as well as spring brakes. I have dd3's now and they are as rare as hens teeth and cost to replace them is up there.

Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:36 pm

I have finished about 95 percent of the welding. I pulled the old rear axle and the adjustment rods. One was badly bent and this one was actually broke and welded back I knew the axle alignment was out wonder why?

I put the engine back in to check the fit of everything. All was good. Mount holes and all belts!!! I would rather be lucky as good anyday!!
The wiring harness. Still a little work before I install it.I purchased it with parts From Ted Keating Trans. Great guy and very knowledgable. My personal assistant Charlie Brown is inspecting! Takes about three times as long when he helps. Has a lot to do with him being a puppy, as well as being deaf (really, a story for later!)

Took a while to get the radiator, cac, and condensor in the corner. had to offset the bracing

Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey Eric, everything is looking really good. I wish I could get out there and try to help Sonnie but I think I'd just be in the way. Charlie Brown look to be as tight as inspector 12. :lol: It's not right until he say it's right.

You know their job is always twice as hard as ours...he look like his wire inspection job is a little "ruff"!!! :lol:

I need to get with you later on about the awnings. I'm thinking about getting some to go all around the coach!!! I just have to get an "ok" from moma first...you understand. Right?
--
BILL
SIVRTNGE2
Club Member
Club Member

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:41 pm

I have a large truck junkyard a mile away. The owner is a good friend and allowed me to roam and pickup piping off the ground. This is about half of what I started with!!!

Lots of plumbing!! Still got to clean pipe and fittings, and paint the engine compartment.

Tail pipe is bigger than the muffler on my truck!!LOL

Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 am

I removed the adjustment rods. The rubber was begining to break apart. The new inserts should last me another 40 years!!LOL Should have all this and the rear end installed this week.

Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:07 am

Looking Good Eric........ keep it up so the rest of us have something to shoot for
Chris Armstrong
Daytona Beach, Florida
And Cadillac, Michigan
DecalsbyBlondie

PreviousNext

Return to Project Eagles