Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Re: EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle

Post by ericbsc »

The engine is at app 2 deg. and the drive shaft at 6 deg. I moved everything for a week solid to get where it is. In my case the engine angle is a must. The allison 4000 is a large diameter and if I set the engine level, the tranny hit the bulkhead before I could get anywhere close to the correct angle on the driveshaft. Matches the orig. eagle prints pretty close. John just lean and it will look straight!!LOL The engine mount from the truck would not work, so I made the one shown. Both sides are angled the same. This allows the mount on the bottom to be spacep further apart. The crossmembers were some Jefferson had. He didn't know exactly what they were for but they were 46" c/l of the mount holes which is the width for an 05,or 20. After I measured and mounted them I discovered they were to mount a 60s in the center of the coach with a "T" drive. By turning them backwards and moving the mounts I was able to make them work. Looking back probably easier to build from scratch!!LOL Another eagle lesson!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

Making me proud there Eric. I leaned & it straightened right up. How you know these things just amazes me! Looking good as always...
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

I am changing to a Horton air clutch fan. I removed the old assembly including the fan mount. The new fan mount will place the belts on the inside of the truss. I used a fan clucch assembly designed for a Cummins engine. Cummins uses the large "B" serice vee belt which Detroit does not. This unit has a 13" dia. heavy duty clutch. I will machine a hub for the engine to accomodate the same belt. The fan is a 30"dia.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Looking good Eric , Will you have a switch on the dash to be able to turn it on if needed, We have something similar on our trucks and they work great when pulling a load up a steep grade. a switch on the dash for manual operation.
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

You are right Andy. I will have a manual switch at the dash. I have been told by several people that the clutch will bump the mpg a little also. Hope that one is true at $ 4.00 per gal.!!!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Eric, as usual, great work.

I made virtually the exact same modification when I installed my engine.

At first, I tried to leave it controlled by the Series 60 ECM, but something was not working correctly, so I put it on a switch on the dash. It works great for driving in a dusty area so that you don't move a bunch of dust into the engine compartment.

At first I played with turning it off when the weather was cool. At the time I was still panicked when the engine got over 200*. With the Series 60, you have temperature protection and I guess it can go to 215* (maybe 220*) safely, but I can't do it - even now. So, I found that I just leave the fan on all the time.

We really do not have much "forced" cooling with our side radiators. I was going to play with a "wickerbill" (about 1/2 inch vertical strip on the side of the bus at the front of the opening). Not sure it would do much good at the speeds we travel, but it is easy to test. I want to do that for both the radiator and charge air cooler on the other side.

I recently put a "mud flap" just behind the drive axle in an effort to try to reduce the pressure in the engine compartment. Maybe the combination of the mud flap, wickerbill and retraining my thought process will let me do some playing with running without the fan. The big issue is that you really need to stay on top of the temperature (constant observation of the temp gauge). I can set an alarm on the SilverLeaf VMSpc to warn me, so I may go that route. As was said, the $4 fuel gives you an incentive.

BTW, for others, Eric used a composite fan. I don't think that an air clutch would last long with the very heavy stock Eagle fan. The inertia to accelerate that much mass would probably do the clutch in rather quickly. Besides that, the composite fan can be specified such that it will move a lot more air.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

You are right about the metal fan Jim. I spent quite a while on the phone with Horton. The composite fan is the way to go according to them. My plan was to run the belts on the inside of the truss, but since I am using a 30" fan, I had to use a 9.5" vs a 7.5" clutch. I couldnt get the hub in position due to the placement of the truss so it is on the outside. my rad. and cooler is app7" wide so I have about 4" between the fan and rad. I may move the rad. closer.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Eric, what you just said triggered a detour in my thinking.

When I talked about playing with the fan air clutch, that was radiator only (my charge air cooler is on the other side - a design error I still regret).

With both your charge air cooler and radiator on the same side, I really doubt you will be able to shut your fan off.

Some folks have tried a two speed approach (various designs). That makes sense if you can control it from the driver's area. I can't recall seeing one that could be controlled by the driver.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Eric,
I had not followed this post. I read it all today.

You have done much that should inspire all of us.

I especially sympathize with the dash. Mine nearly ate my lunch and I have done considerable custom upholstry.

I would like some information on Ozone Collision. I will be in Atlanta tomorrow and will be coming through Greenville in a few days. I will have some free time until the 17th. I would like to meet you and see your work up close if possible.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

Joe, sent you a P.M with my number. I look forward to meeting you.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05