Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

My rusty Star Destroyer

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
tophatperformance
Bus Model: 1984 Eagle 10

My rusty Star Destroyer

Post by tophatperformance »

Yea I guess my title tells you about me. I pretty happy I got my little link to work. Mine is an 84 model 10. I've had it 6 months or so. Really started on it hard about 1 month ago. Plans are a detroit 60 and updated auto trans but I want to get all the metal work completed that I can before dealing with the driveline. I've already started stock piling parts. I got her for $5k and drove her home from an hour away. I knew I was going to spend a few years working on it so I've still got good spirits. Please give me some feedback and ideas.
Thanks everyone!
https://secure.shoeboxapp.com/gallery/5 ... 8259a25b85
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: My rusty Star Destroyer

Post by rusty »

from the looks of things you are not afraid of work. That is a plus with the size of your project. The hardest thing with all the metal removal is when you put it back the heat of the welding has a tendency to move things around. Try not to weld in one spot to long that will help. String lines and lasers are your friend. When I did mine I blocked up the bus so it was level front to back and side to side then a level can be a great help. Keep up the good work.

Wayne
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Man those pics bring back memories of our bus. I know its tough but hang in there and you will get through it. I just tried to focus on just 5 feet at a time. Looking good. Looks like its going to be a high drivers with a mid entry door??

Looking forward to update pixs now and then.

Thanks for sharing

Kentucky Steve
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Rodney, welcome to the forum and thanks for starting a project thread!!!!

I was commenting to someone the other day that folks are not "building" their buses or doing engine conversions much anymore. This forum has some great exceptions!!!!

Your work looks ambitious and well done.

When you get further along, you might want to visit my build documentation (in signature). I have quite a bit of detail about how I put the Series 60 in my model 10.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Welcome to our madness!

You will never regret doing it right.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
tophatperformance

I will admit my biggest fear right now is the leveling of it all. As you can see I don't have a level surface to work from so not sure what to do. This bus was in a severe front end collision in its past and the repair made was horrible! I've supported small sections at a time while working but it wasn't very straight to start. I'm 3/4" out from one side to the other somehow. Haven't pin pointed why. I did drive this bus home when I bought it and was amazed how well it tracked and drove. I really want my siding to look flat and clean. I'm using t-squares and tape measuring to try to keep it straight but I know it's going to be an issue. Not sure what to do?
Jim, I have read your pages no less than 20 times. There awesome!
Thanks everyone
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Thanks for posting your project--I started twitching a bit looking at the pics--reminded me of our project in the beginning. Just when we thought we were close to being completely disassembled, there was further to go. The good news is that it's all do-able! We did ours on the street in front of our house--not only did the neighbors tolerate our lunacy, they actually helped. Many weekends over a six year period were filled with yard parties and bus projects.

Keep having fun with it and remember: what can possibly be worse than removing the lavatory and the floor (including the linoleum)! It'll be a fun family project; all our kids (and wife) learned to weld, do a little bit of wood work, and some electrical stuff as well. Keep us all posted on your progress.
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

One has to love to do it I wouldn't spend the bucks it's not like it was 15 or 20 years ago when factory conversions where so far out of reach for most. Now you can buy a Prevost converted in the late 90's with a series 60 and B500 all modern power train 40 or 45 ft for around 50 to 70 grand with less than a 100,000 miles on the chassis turn the key on drive away

Any problems on the road call the Prevost hot line for free they will have parts waiting on you at the next service center it has to be a labor of love is all I can think of to soak that many bucks in a bus that is worth about nothing now BTDT
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Post by ericbsc »

Yes there are many busses out there that can be bought cheaper!!LOL Just remember these four words (While Were At It). That will get anywhere from a couple bucks to several thousand from the bank account!. Looks like you are doing it right. Many buy an old eagle and think they can fix a few bad spots only to find that there are ten hidden for each one you see. Do it right requires exactly what you did. Strip it out completely. I did the same and never regreted it. Only thing is that it took me 8-9 years. Drove it for a year with the 8-71 then ripped it out for a series 60. You will enjoy the finished result. When you travel people are always asking about the busses that they don't see everyday.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
tophatperformance

Ok Folks, I got some questions. I've done the front, and I've got the rear figured out. I started stripping the middle at my rear wheels. There's a lot more rust than I thought and it's all around my suspension. I'm a little worried. I want to cut out the outer floor rail and everything below it all at once. Above boy rear wheels.. Including wheel arches and verticals on both ends of wheel arches. Is there enough support inside the outer rails to do this???? I know i need to support the walls but what about the suspension? Give me some ideas please. I'll add some pics to my library tomorrow.
Thanks