Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Sparks 1979 Model 5

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Sparks 1970 Model 5

Post by rusty »

Keep up the good work. That is not the first time that I have heard of no sealant. That seam leaks on a lot of Eagles. Nice sub floor.

Wayne
sparkplug188

Post by sparkplug188 »

Thank you all for the encouraging comments. More big progress posts are coming soon. :D
Spark
1979 Model 5 Eagle - 45/102 8v92 HT740
sparkplug188

Post by sparkplug188 »

Will it fit?

- 20kw PowerTech Generator. Check!

- 70 gallon fresh water tank. Check! 45 gallon grey/black water tank. Check!

- Propane tank holder. Check!

- Four propane tanks (any two sets of 20lb, 30lb or 40lb tanks). Check!

- Rinnai propane tankless water heater. Check! Automatic switching regulator. Check!

- 45 gallon electric water heater. Check!

- 42,000 BTU Tri-zone Mitsubishi heat pump. Check!

Yes! It all fits.

Everything is easily serviceable too. The propane tank holder slides out and leaves a comfortable spot to sit while working on the generator, electric water heater, or plumbing. All of the house equipment fits the last bay. There is exactly 14'6" (three standard bays) available for storage; it is equivalent to a 40' eagle without anything in the bays!

The water heaters will be plumbed to hose bibs on the bulkhead wall with stainless steel braided washing machine hose. The water heaters have been converted from NPT to GHT to accept the washing machine hose. The washing machine hoses will be the only water lines that need heat tape and insulation. All of the other water lines will be run inside the cabinets (like Fleetwood does) and a few lines inside the heated storage bay.

As much of the equipment as possible is painted black to hide behind the expanded metal vents. The outside edge of the bottom rail and all of the open storage bays will all be painted light grey.

I still have a lot of work to do- wiring, plumbing, supporting the low voltage conduits and power steering lines in the tunnel, etc. I am just glad everything fits as planned.
Spark
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Spark Nice work. Are both of the water heater for domestic water? Will they both be on or will one be a backup? Nice job of fitting things in the bay. It amazes me how fast the bays fill up. The last few things are always a challenge.

Wayne
sparkplug188

Post by sparkplug188 »

Wayne- Both water heaters are for domestic water. The propane water heater is a backup for the electric water heater.

I was surprised at how little power 12000 watts is when I added everything up. There will be times when there won't be enough power to run the electric water heater plus everything else without tripping the main breaker. This is my load calculation:

Road side comp and curb side comp are banks of computers. "stressed wh off" is the electrical usage with a full load of guest computers and the electric water heater off. "no stress wh on" is the electrical usage without any guest computers and the electric water heater on. The load calculation shows I needed to be able to switch between a electric and propane water heater. I will be transporting 6 to 8 people. It is possible everything listed plus their desktop computers could all be on at the same time.

Edit: There is a small typo on that load calculation. "Main 60" should be "Main 50". I got the 12000 watts right. That is what matters.
Spark