Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Dan's 1982 Model 10

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
eagle19952
Bus Model: 1978 model 05 #19952

Re: Dan's 1982 Model 10

Post by eagle19952 »

Hey looks GOOD to me, and it looks like you are having fun at the same time... :)
Boone
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle Model 10

Post by Boone »

Mike,

I did insulate below the windows but didn't post pictures of it. In my bus the factory insulation below the windows was clean and in good shape. In the 30 years it had been there it had not caused rust or other problems so I decided to reuse it. Between the horizontal studs I covered the fiberglass with 1/2" of foil faced foam board and 3/4" of pink foam board and caulked all of it in place so it is sealed to the wood framing. I have nearly 3" total in the walls and 2 1/4" in the ceiling. I would have liked more in the ceiling but didn't want to raise the roof.
We did do extra insulation inside the wall I built across the back. It is a 2x4 wall so I used 3 1/2" fiberglass and put in extra strips of wood inside the wall to hold everything in place in a moving bus.
We don't plan to be out in very cold weather and learned this winter that we can warm it up from 25 degrees with a couple of 110v electric heaters.
Last edited by Boone on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boone

Post by Boone »

Thanks for the comments guys. For some reason I have loved busses since I was a kid. My grandfather built an old school bus into an rv around 1950 and I grew up hearing the stories my mom told about traveling in it. Then my parents bought an old International bus when I was a teenager and we made many trips in it. Home was wherever we decided to park it. I remember pulling off the road somewhere north of Daytona Beach one night and walking out on the beach sand the next morning. We even took that old bus to Alaska and back. We only stayed in a campground if we wanted to for some reason. Back then you could just pull off anywhere and go to sleep. We knew nobody could get in and we had an old shotgun in the closet that made us feel safer in case someone tried. We never had any problem.
Ever since those days I have always wanted to build my "second home" and this is it. We plan to make our first trip with the new interior in June whether she's finished or not.
Boone

Post by Boone »

I found a couple of pics of the insulation process. This first one shows the 3 layers. After deciding to reuse the original insulation which is the yellow insulation on the right, we covered it with RMax 1/2" foil faced foam board (middle white with blue lettering) and covered that with 3/4" pink foam (bottom).

Last edited by Boone on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boone

Post by Boone »

This is the only picture I have of the finished insulation.

Boone

Post by Boone »

18 months ago...

Boone

Post by Boone »

Unfortunately someone drilled holes in the front bumper to mount the brackets for lights and after I removed the brackets the blade is wavy. Still looks pretty good but is on the list.

Boone

Post by Boone »

There seems to be plenty of room BEFORE you start! The back bay gets the tanks and ac. If all goes well I will have the middle and front bays clear. If anyone has any of the little red clips that hold the bay doors up I could sure use a couple.