Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Jim Sims 88 Eagle 15

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
jimsimsii
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15 Wide body

Jim Sims 88 Eagle 15

Post by jimsimsii »

Well I bought this bus on October 31. Had it delivered from Kentucky to Michigan on the 7th of November. Had to gut it completely and start from scratch. Replaced floor metal in several places, mainly above wheels. Replaced flooring I had to pull up and covered the whole floor in 7/16 plywood. Just finished removing a large number of windows and put on metal skins. 250 pop rivets later and that project is completed. Removed rear quarter windows and skinned the opening. Hope that looks good when painted this spring. Installed pink foam insulation in all walls and am going to start on the luan on the walls tonight. Wow, this is a great project. Should be installing some interior walls by saturday. I have a deadline of June 1st to get this project completed. Working by myself is challenging, to say the least. I hate talking to myself. All I want to talk about is bus stuff. Well now that there are skins on the bus it is a "coach" and not a "bus" so that will be an arguement that I get to win with myself. The wife really dont care so I cant discuss the major accomplishments with her. The 9 year old daughter is great and wants it themed like Disney World. We will see. I know the bunks will be themed that way. Well I plan to put pics on here soon, but am quite computer illeterate. Wife will have to help with that project anyhow. More to come later. Any pit falls I need to be aware of? Bathroom over the rear wheels or in front of them between the bunks and the kitchen? Any thoughts?
Last edited by jimsimsii on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Sims
Central Michigan
88 Eagle 15 6v92
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Re: 88 Eagle 15

Post by ericbsc »

I like the enthusiasm!!!
My advice:
1. Don't look ahead at all you have to do.

2. Don't stop to admire all you have done.

3. DO NOT KEEP A TOTAL OF THE CASH YOU HAVE SPENT!!!.
(At least not where it can be used against you!!)

4. Don't expect to ever recoup the money or time you spent.

5. Anything you buy is always a couple hundred bucks max. (Answer this only when asked, do not offer information.)

6. If the boss ask about fuel mileage it is always app. 18-20 mpg.

7. Most important use it every chance you get. A lot have made the mistake of stripping the first one right off the bat and regretted it later.

8. Try to go to some rally's. You will meet some nice folk who are more than willing to answer questions.

Just my pennies worth. Welcome to the maddness!!LOL
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

What Eric said! :o

If you need help posting pics let me know.

Glad you joined us other nuts, it's a great disease to have! :lol:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I also agree with Eric with the exception of the receipts. I am sure that Eric said that tongue-in-cheek, but you DO want to save those receipts.

My insurance company has insured my bus for the cost of the parts plus the purchase price. A few years ago that would probably have been less than I might have gotten from a blind :o buyer :D . Today that insured value is quite a bit greater than many folks are getting for their buses that are quite a bit nicer than ours.

That said, it would be interesting to see what they would pay if I had a major loss.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

Well said Jim!!LOL
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
jimsimsii

Re: Jim Sims 88 Eagle 15

Post by jimsimsii »

Ok, had my first WTF moment while putting on luan for walls. Drilled into upright pillar and hit water!!!! WTF (wait till friday) till I tell the guys about this. So now I have to drill a hole at the bottom of every pillar to make sure there isnt any water in them. Alot more work. Anyone have this same experience? Should be able to install the remainder of the luan for the walls today and then start on rear cap and bed area. Looks like a fun project so far. lol.
Jim Sims
Central Michigan
88 Eagle 15 6v92
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

I also found the same issue. I drilled a hole in my first upright to install some fur strips and had water come out. It's normal from condensation and or leaks!

Have fun! ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

I'll betcha that the tubing around the windows is rusted out, allowing outside water to fill the framework. Not a good sign, but typical of old Eagles.
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

Hes dead on about the windows!!! That is the first place water comes in. Also around the windshields on the 01, 05, and 10. I filled every one of the tubes with foam. It takes a while but water cant get in with the foam. It also insulates. We cut a 10 up a few months ago and the water put the torch out a few times!!LOL
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
jimsimsii

Post by jimsimsii »

WOW. No severe rust by the windows. A few rusted pillars but not bad enough to replace. No rot through. I drilled a drain hole in each. Hope that will help with condensation. Or it will still condensate and ruin my luan and wall paper. Anyhow, the luan is all up on the sides and now is the back cap. I have no idea what I am doing back there. It is a standard height cap. Factory braces. I am going to put up overhead cabinets and a headboard with lights. I spent an hour last night scratching my head on how to attach the cross beams to the factory supports because the supports are bowed to match the cap curve. I went on this forumn and looked at other projects but didnt find any pics with a factory cap. I just dont want to waste any precious space that could be used.http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h38 ... 20Uploads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Sims
Central Michigan
88 Eagle 15 6v92