Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

Post by MrBreeze »

Everywhere.......&...... Anywhere. We Are Running From The Fires.. Kansas, Michigan And Then I Hope Texas (Gotta Pickup Some Carpet From Sonny)..And Then On To California Also I Got To Run Threw And Pester Clifford.. :lol:

I Will Post In The General Section Soon.... I Dont Want To Highjack Mannys Thread.

Thanks For Asking.

10-4

MrBreeze 8-)
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Mr. Breeze, sorry for my delayed response. My main pc has been down the past week...

I feel your pain and think you must be right about it being "Front End Rebuild Season." Hopefully mine will be done this week. Haven't been able to work on it steady. I'll post some pics of what's been done so far. Notice the worn out bearings that go in the steering arms. No wonder I didn't have a good turning radius. All that is being replaced. When it's all done it should be like when it came out of the factory (maybe better). I'm also installing all new brake drums, and will then get the bus aligned. Can't wait to get it on the road and feel the difference...I won't know what to do!
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

POST # 43

New Brake Drums (Model 15)

Steering Arm Driver's Side

Worn-out Bearings from Steering Arm Driver's Side

New Steering Arm

New Parts for Front End

Long (?) arm that goes across from side to side
Notice its shape, it's completely worn out

Old A Frame

New A Frame w/new torsilastic bushing

Cleaned out and ready for paint and new parts
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

POST # 44

Completed FRONT END REBUILD w/updated Model 15 Brakes

Well, just about got this big job wrapped up. Whole front end has been rebuilt and brakes have been updated to the Model 15 brakes. Everything went great and fits like a charm. Test drove the bus and the steering was 100% better and the braking was amazing! Only thing left to do now is allignment. Had an appointment to have that done Friday afternoon, but had a little bump in that plan. Went to start up the bus but noticed there was a problem building up air. Had this problem once before back in January and thought maybe the cold weather was a contributing factor. The governor was apparently stuck and wouldn't allow the air to build up, but when the same thing happened Friday in 90 degree weather...I figured it wasn't the weather that was the problem. Anyway, went to NAPA and got a new governor (very inexpensive). It wasn't hard to change at all and now I'll know what to do if this happens again in fact I plan to keep an extra one on hand. You'll see me going in through the old battery door (no batteries in there now and no tray). I was reaching all the way across to the governor to swap it out (guess it helps being skinny) only two bolts hold it in place. While I was in there I removed the power steering pump because it had a leak (needed a new gasket). In case you are wondering why I didn't go in from the top to change the governor, that would have meant removing the bolted bed frame, and tearing up the carpet and padding (no thank you). After the allignment I want to paint the whole front end.

Using 18" Push Rods instead of the original 15:

New air governor

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Manny, thanks so much for the details and great pictures!!!!

It sounds like all you needed to do to convert from 05 to 15 brakes was to put on new shoes and drums. Is it really that simple?

I assume you used the bronze bushings. Did you do the reaming, or have it done?

It looks like you have manual slack adjusters. I think the conversion to auto-slack is pretty easy and may be worth putting on the to-do list.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Jim,
You have to change the whole C arm, not just the shoes and drums. Every part you see painted gray came off a Model 15 Eagle. There are no Model 05 brake parts left on my Eagle. The Model 05 had 4" brake pads, this Model 15 has 5" pads. Also this Model 15 was 96" wide. I probably wouldn't have done this conversion now but there happened to be a donor bus available and since I was doing the front end anyway I figured it would be a good time to do it.

I assume you meant brass bushings - Yes.

Maybe others who have done this can chime in here...
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
moonrakerbus
Bus Model: 1968/67 Bus & Car Co. SE 05
With Slide Out and 8V71
Vin#8005.
Where is vin#8006 anyone?

Post by moonrakerbus »

Hey Manny, I want to have my front end done someday and need power steering done as well. What would be a Ballpark number for cost of doing this? I could do myself but don't have a place so it would have be done in a shop..Any ideas of what it would cost. I believe all of my bushings are good along with bearings. Mine wanders while driving but when stopped it seems to be maybe 2 inches of movement in steering wheel.
1968/67 Bus & Car Co. SE 05
With Slide Out and 8V71
Vin#8005.
Nick & Tonyia Cartos
Where is vin#8006 anyone?
In Florida For Now
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Nick, I've got about $2,400. in parts, that's not including the brake upgrade. I tried to seek out the best prices, too. I bought things in stages as I had the money. If you can do the work yourself you'll save on the labor. I wasn't able to do the whole thing myself.

As far as the power steering, I couldn't honestly tell you because it had already been done in my Eagle BUT, they had the wrong pump in there so I switched to the correct pump. I found a used one and then had it rebuilt which cost me $250. I have done some research and the Vickers Power Steering Pump runs around $800 new.

It's great to see you back on this board. I like what you've done with your Eagle.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 45

Third Brake Light

We went on a day trip out of town for a family function and on the way back we stopped at the 75 Chrome Shop in Wildwood, FL. I was checking the LED lights and noticed one that would make a really good third brake light. Now that I'm towing our Kia, I thought this would make braking more noticible. It was pretty easy to install.

Before installation

LED Light mounted

Chrome Piece Added

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 46
Driving Lessons

I've been wanting to give my wife some lessons on how to drive the bus and it just so happens that where we store our Eagle there is a big, empty fenced-in parking lot. Well, last Saturday was the day and she did a pretty good job.This doesn't mean she's ready to hit the road, but I thought she needs to know what to do in case of an emergency.

Here I am showing her the controls

Here she is at the wheel

Here she's getting the big picture and checking her mirrors

Eagle Bus Driver Trainee

Notice the tire tracks in this picture
She got just a little too close to our Kia
Which prompted a discussion on making WIDE right turns and using your mirrors

Here are a couple of videos.
(Sorry about the quality, next time I'll bring a better camera)
Click on the pics

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851