Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Re: Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 6

On to more detailing...the Electrical Panel on the driver's side, what a mess that was! As you can see with the before picture, it looked kind of like a bird's nest and that was driving me nuts, so I re-organized all the wires, trying to figure out what wire went where and controlled what??? I'm still learning, but as I discover what wire does what, then I tag it. Then I wire-loomed it to look more organized. I have loomed all the wires I can reach, even in the rear engine compartment. This was a very tedious job, but was worth it in the end. I later took the bus for some maintenance, they needed to install a new relay and they went crazy over what I had done.

Before

After
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 7

New Locks - - -Well, being a locksmith, you knew this would have to be addressed...the entry door had a top lock, but it was NOT secure. I wanted to install a deadbolt but I had to modify the outside housing of the deadbolt by cutting it down because the door was so thick.The deadbolt latch is a standard Schlage deadbolt latch, but the job did require me to use longer screws than what usually comes with a single cylinder deadbolt. I ended up using the screws that are standard on a double cylinder deadbolt (because they are longer). Now I feel more secure that when that lock is engaged, that door is not going anywhere.

I also had to install locks on all the Bay Doors, as they had NO locks at all on them. I used tubular cam locks, more commonly seen on Coke Machines or on the newer Harleys. I also installed dust caps that flip up when you need to access the lock. I felt the caps would protect the locks from getting dirt, etc. in them. The lock actually works by locking the handle itself to secure the bay door. This was another time consuming project, but was very necessary.

My trade sure has come in handy

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Still impressive! What's with all the colored wires though? :lol: (Just kidding. All my wires are white.)
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Manny, Nice job on the locks. The wiring is looking good also. You must have patience to figure all that wiring out. It is too bad we all don't live closer with everyone's talents, we could build one perfect bus. But I guess all of are buses would be the same so maybe it's better we don't

Keep up the good work Wayne
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 8

My next project was more or less a necessity...after parking the bus one day, I accidentally left the mirror heat switch on and drained the two main batteries. They were mounted in the usual place on each side of the bus in the rear. The bus happened to be parked at a friend's (Ace) at the time, and he mentioned to me that it would be better to get rid of those two big 24v batteries and replace them with 3 12v batteries and relocate them closer to the starter. I had already removed the bus' original a/c that was not funtional anyway...it was just taking up space in a rather large bay in the back, so with it gone, I decided to relocate the batteries there. I sectioned off a portion for the batteries, and later enclosed the rest into a finished bay.

Here are the new batteries installed (with Ace's help)

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 9

Now to make good use of that empty a/c bay. After I sectioned off a portion for the new batteries, I wanted to box in the rest of the compartment. I had new steel welded on the floor area and then painted it. I had to move all the hoses and wires on the outside of the frame near the engine to have a clear area to box in. I also had to move the slobber tube container to the other compartment where one of the old batteries use to be. Those two oil filters you see in the picture below I placed there because sometimes oil would blow out of the two breather pipes of the slobber tube container (made out of pvc). I later ended up removing those filters because oil was still blowing out, so I took two empty rotella oil jugs and hooked them up there instead to catch the overflow of oil, and it works pretty good, and you can't see the jugs.

Now the bay was ready to box in. I used 3/4in plywood and started to build the box (in place) and bolted it in as I was building it. I would have preferred to use steel, but I cannot weld (but I would like to learn). I used top quality exterior paint to paint it, then caulked it, then put the final coat of paint.. Then I added a shelf (which was kindly provided by one of my customers who was in the process of some remodeling and was going to throw it away). I believe in recycling, and saving $ is a nice bonus, LOL. I finished the bay with diamond plate. I now use this bay for storing oil, filters, etc. It has really come in handy.

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I like seeing that three batteries will fit right there in the curve behind the taillights. That is where I plan to put mine as well. Looks great.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 10

The final step to finishing that old a/c bay was to reskin the door to match the rest of the bus (since we no longer needed the screen) and make it water-tight. This was an easy process, I just removed the old skin around the screen (I left the screen itself for support) and mounted the new skin over it. If I was talented like KY Steve I would have welded some new cafe style doors, but this works for me and now looks more uniform with the other bays.

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 11

While I was working on that new bay, I went ahead and replaced all the original lights inside the bays since most of them were not working properly. It just so happened that one day around that same time, I was in the automotive department of our local Wally World where they sell trailer lights, etc., and I noticed these lights I thought might work rather nicely, and they were very afordable (like $6 each). So I replaced all the bay lights and even put some of these lights in the engine compartment which was great because those original lights were not working either.

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 12

Since we're on the subject of lights...
I've never been completely satisfied with the operational lights (brake, turn-signal, etc.) as they were on the bus. They were very hard to see, especially the turn signals, which made me leary when I had to change lanes. I knew that LED light were the way to go, and I had intended on purchasing the entire set from Silver Eagle (and I still might do that eventually) but since funds were an issue, I came up with another plan. I found some LED lights at a truck stop one day and decided to give them a try. They were affordable, so I bought two amber ones and brought them home to see if they would fit inside my bus lenses, and to my pleasant surprise - they DID!

I had different ideas on how I could mount them, but I did not want to alter the housing or the lens; so I decided to try clear silicone, putting a small bead on the flat side of the LED lights and then pressed it down and let it dry. That was May of '08. The lights are still in place and working better and brighter than ever! I ended up finding the same exact lights online for even less so I replaced the turn signal lights, running lights, and brake lights. I got them from a company called Super Bright LEDs, Inc. http://www.superbrightleds.com/truck_lights.htm

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851