Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post #1

We purchased our Eagle 05 in August of 2006 from a gentleman in Ft. Myers, FL who had it listed through Heartland Coach. It has an 8V71 engine, and a five speed automatic transmission.It was professionally converted to a motor coach in 1988 by Hercules Coach Conversions out of Louisville, KY. They did a great job with the conversion, but they issued our bus a new VIN # and had it re-titled, so we are not sure of our bus' original year or VIN, and THAT is our current quest. From the research we have done so far, we believe it is a 1972. Part of the conversion included raising the roof and putting new skins all around. It has a newer style dash and new square headlights. It is all electric and has a 15k Kubota diesel generator. It has two 2-ton central air and heat units. The interior includes custom-made solid oak cabinets and trim. New leather furniture was added in 2004.

Here is a picture of my wife and I at our first Bus Rally - Arcadia Dec. '06

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

Post by rusty »

Manny, Thank You for taking time to start your post. I think this section is the best idea of all. It makes our site a special place.

Keep it going Wayne
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post #2

As you can see from the previous post and the pictures of our bus as it was when we purchased it, it appeared to be in pretty good shape, but we did want to address some maintenance issues that were called to our attention when we had the bus inspected before we purchased it.

The first day we saw our Eagle, we met the previous owners at Heartland's Coach shop in Arcadia. Being a newbie, we wanted to have the bus inspected by a qualified shop, so we set up a time to meet the owners (and of course the BUS) at Heartland Coach. It's funny because when we first stepped inside, it smelled so nice and the music was playing and the atmosphere was set (pay attention now) all this was for a purpose. We later realized on our trip home a week later, WHY it smelled like air freshener...it was to hide the horrendous smell of the exhaust fumes coming inside the bus. The inspector had told us the mufflers probably needed to be replaced, and HE WAS RIGHT!!! So as soon as it was ours, we set up an appointment to have that issue addressed. We had new mufflers installed, the front seal bearings replaced, some of the air lines replaced, and we also had the exhaust from the generator reconfigured so the tail pipe extended to the side so the fumes would not be coming up into the bus from underneath. We also had the generator serviced and the oil changed. These maintenance improvements made a HUGE difference in our bus!

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Manny,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post pictures of your Eagle. I noticed the chrome tips, nice touch. :D

Both of our engine exhaust pipes exits out the passenger side, that way I can see the black smoke from my mirror, lets me know when my foot is too heavy! ;)

I'll bet you don't need the air freshener now!

Very nice Eagle!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post #3

My next project was to clean up and detail the engine. I wanted to restore it's original DD engine color, but prior to doing that I wanted to find a way to catch the excess oil from the slobber tube, etc. so I did some research and found out about a product from Walker Engineering Enterprises out of CA. They developed a remote airsep kit (seen in the 3rd and 4th pictures below - black canister looking device). It does a pretty good job of catching the blow-by from the engine valve cover.You'll also notice the pvc pipe. That's something I designed myself to catch the slobber from the engine. Once I corrected most of the oil spill problem, I painted the engine, and WOW, what a difference that made. Of course, as we all know, the 8V71 will always leak some oil. I have found that if I periodically clean the engine (with gunk) the engine stays pretty clean.

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

First class job on posting the photos Manny :mrgreen: .the wood work on the interior is fabulous :)
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Outstanding idea with the PVC, Manny. We're planning to do something similar on mine to catch the oil but never thought of PVC. That is a great idea.

You have one beautiful bus!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Buscrazy,

That's one nice coach there buddy. Its the details like you keep adding that make all the difference in the world. Hows about some pics of the bays. I'm guessing that they are pretty nice too? You have to watch out for me as my idea antenna is always on and listening. :lol: :lol:

Nice coach, more pics please... :D ......

.........Kentucky Steve ................
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post #4

The next issue we wanted to address was to provide more sleeping accomodations. The couch does make a pretty nice size bed when open, but we have older kids both married, and one of them gave us one of our greatest joys three years ago...our sweet granddaughter Hannah. Sometimes they get to travel with us, not all at once, but still, we wanted to make them comfortable when they are with us. We also were not happy with the table and two chairs (as seen in an earlier picture). It just wasn't practical. So we did some searching and actually got a pretty neat idea from a bus family who were traveling full time for a few years. They had an idea for converting a dinette into a sleeper. So we took the basic idea to Creative Coach in Lakeland, FL and together we came up with this dinette/sleeper/storage and it works GREAT!!! It wasn't cheap, but they did an excellent job and we are SO pleased with it. It was one of the things we kind of splurged on, but it was important to us. By the way, Creative Coach has probably one of the finest paint and body shops in the country for big rigs. It's really their specialty. We have seen their work and it is awesome.

This first two pictures show the dinette. The bench cushions were made at a local upholstery shop.

The table top comes off and you'll see the tall removable polls underneath. When the table is off we lay it up against the inside wall of our bus behind our leather chairs.

Once those taller polls are removed it is replaced with a shorter poll support. We keep this stored in a closet inside the bus when it's not being used.

Now you are ready to flip part of the bench lid over to rest on the shorter support. Notice the back bench lid has piano hinges. This will be the foundation for the mattress. By the way, there is plenty of storage available under the "L" shaped benches. We keep our sheets, blankets, towels, and pillows stored there.

Here is the mattress. We had this made at the same local upholstery shop that made the bench cushions. We had them also make a vinyl envelope style cover that the mattress slips into so we can store it in one of our bays when not being used.

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post #5

Ever since we've had our bus there was a problem with the brake light switch. It would stay on all the time. When we went to the 2007 Arcadia Rally, which was just a few months after we got our bus, I started asking around to see if another Eagle owner may have had the same problem, or know how I could fix it. It just so happens that Sonnie Gray was at that rally. I met him and asked him for his advice. He was kind enough to help me look for the brake light switch, supposing that it was under the dash, but it wasn't. His next thought was that it must be in the tunnel in the back, so when I got home I started digging,removing the carpet in the rear, removing the bed, etc. and sure enough, there it was in the tunnel! I ordered a new switch from Jefferson out of OK and replaced it and that did the trick. Of course, now I was left with having to repair (or replace) that carpet in the back, which we weren't that crazy about anyway, so we decided to replace it. We bought new carpet (actually a remnant) and new padding, both at a good price, and had a fellow busnut friend, Ace, (who happens to be an excellent carpet installer) put it in for us.

Here is the old brake light switch in the rear tunnel

Here is the prep work before the new carpet was installed

New padding

New berber carpet

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851