Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Re: Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Hey there Dreamscape, this is Darlene....
Thank you for the compliments, but don't you dare (quit posting pictures). Every one of our Eagles is special! It is so much fun to see them all and admire (and learn from) their differences. Manny just happens to be a stickler for detail. He always has been. That's why he will tell you he will probably never do a total conversion himself. He would drive himself crazy! (And me, too, :lol: )
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
Sparky
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 406128
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 20

Post by Sparky »

Manny & Darlene you have a beautiful bus. I hope ours gets to that point some day. I have a question about the PVC pipe that you made to catch the oil from the motor. Does that catch pretty much all of the oil that seems to drip out of these motors. And do you just empty that pipe every so often then. I am very interested in doing something like this as the back of our bus seems to get alot of oil on it when we take it anywhere. Thanks
The Church's
1988 Model 20
6V92 with 5 speed manual
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Scott, it may be because my bus is an NJT 20 but it already has one of those canisters. It is metal and located just beneath the oil pan. I don't know if all 20s have these or not. I'll try to snap a picture of it later today.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Sparky,
Yes, I do empty it sometimes. That pipe has to breathe because the engine is blowing the oil through the slobber tube. I have two hoses coming into the pvc pipe and two going out to release the air and the overflow of oil which is going into two gallon jugs I have set up in the battery compartment to capture the overflow. Those jugs are what I empty. 8v71s are great engines, but are known for leaking oil. What I have rigged up helps keep the oil from making such a mess.
Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post #21

Here is our latest addition. I've been wanting to get these marker light covers because they really help shield the glare of the lights in night driving. I just ordered them from Jefferson Bus and Truck out of Oklahoma. Norris is still there, but is hoping to retire this summer. In case you don't know it, he use to work for Eagle International and he has so much knowledge about our Eagles. He has been trying to help us identify our bus, too, and was excited when we told him we think we've found the original VIN.

Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post # 22

I'm finally posting the improvement I made to the rear electrical panel. I bought the stainless steel cover from Boomer. It fit perfectly and looks so much better. I had some decals made for it (as you can see in the picture). Funny little story that goes with this project though...it almost turned into a nightmare. I had to move some things out of the way to install this new panel, things like the rear start switch, lights, and the gauge for the air filter. In that process, I accidentally bumped one of the wires that is REQUIRED to start the engine. So I get the panel on and clean things up and get in the bus ready to park it and NOTHING! It is now starting to get dark, I have the bus out of its parking garage and all these crazy things start flooding my brain. I saw the bus being towed to a bus garage, I thought I lost the prime, you name it...I thought it. I took some time to clear my head and think and decided to back-track everything I had done and then stumbled upon the loose wire. It is the wire that clips into the power block. I am going to replace those wire ends with the type you screw in - the eyelet type. It was an interesting day, but ended up well. I really like that ss panel. Thanks Boomer.

Before:

After:
Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Looks good, Manny!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Post #23

Cruise Control

This project took me ONE YEAR to complete. I think maybe because I bought this on the sneak (without telling my wife) :oops: I should have known that sneakiness doesn't pay off, nor does it stay a secret for long because the guy I bought it from, in trying to reach me, called my wife by mistake and there began our journey.... :lol:

Seriously, I bought this cruise control from Pete/RTS Daytona on the bus nut board. I installed the unit per the directions and with guidance from Pete, it was fairly easy to install. The last step requires connecting the CC wire to the speedometer. This particualr wire is suppose to pick up the pulses from the speedometer, but never seemed to work properly. Pete was kind enough to meet with me to help me diagnose the problem. We finally realized that the pulses from the speedometer were not strong enough to register on the CC. So Pete suggested to install a pick up coil by the drive shaft, which also came with two magnets to be installed and that did the trick. Boy was I a happy camper or should I say "cruiser." I used it this past week for the very first time and it was awesome!!! It worked just like it came from factory with Cruise Control. It seems very safe, as soon as you tap the brake it shuts the cc off. You can also shut it off manually, or use the Resume feature. It was a great price, too...under $250. And I must say that Pete really stands behind his product, and to me that means alot.

This is the Control Button located on the dash

Bracket mounted on floor attaches to wire pulling the pedal

Shaping the bracket for the pick-up coil

Magnet mounted

Pick-up coil and magnet mounted
Last edited by buscrazyinFL on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

That's neat Manny, I will consider that for ours! I Like It! 8-)

By the way, Your clean shiny engine can't be a DD, It's not bleeding! :lol:

Looking Great!

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Paul ,it now has internal bleeding with those cool catch cans Manny devised .A clean engine is a happy engine .Manny I hope I can get mine to look like that before we install it,we'll have to post a before and after shot in my project thread,as well as the engine swap.Have a great Thursday! :)