Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Tripz Eagle 10 project

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
tripz
Bus Model: 1980
silver eagle
model 10
8v71 automatic

Tripz Eagle 10 project

Post by tripz »

just wanted to say hello to everyone, get you all ready for more stupid questions from another first timer! LOL! My name is Vince or vinny, Vincenzo take your pick. I live in L.A, got my 1980 Eagle 8v71 from back east, saywers buses. drove it back home and fell in love! now, yes my eagle is old! half way converted from former owner, maybe in 1992 from the looks of it? I wish It looked like a few of the ones I seen on this site. yet I was Very impress with how it drove back to california, even spitting up oil everywhere but in the motor!
anyway, I want to add 5 feet, raise 8 inches, cause I'm gonna be travel around the country in a book signing tour for my graphic novel. so i need the room just for books. then maybe rebuild the motor or put a 6v92 turbo in it, because it has no power going up hill! and i took the southern route home!
now stupid beginner question no.1 can I get all of this done without spending a grip of money? does anyone know a good, fair price mechanic or body and welder guy in los angeles area? I could do some of the work myself, but I just need help! I have a 1989 37ft fleetwood Limited that blew out it's 460, so my plan is to just strip everything i need to finish my eagle from the RV. so I dont have a set buget, but I am just a high school art and fitness teacher. so I got to watch every pennies, until I start selling books. I know I could make a nice looking conversion, but the prices i hear some of you guys spending is what i make in a year! so as much as I want to jump into this with you guys, i have to jump in the shallow end first! I will continue to read all the old post, so i can build my bus vacab' but in the mean time thanks for your help, and great to meet everyone!
oh, i will put a photo up, once I start working on her, but I warn you, she a little shy right now, cause shes not at her best.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Tripz Eagle 10 project

Post by Dreamscape »

Welcome!

It matters not what she looks like. Post some pics and have fun!

You might be better off asking your questions in the Eagle Tech section. I'm sure someone will be able to help you find a shop that can help you out. Be prepared, shops will cost more than a do it your self project.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
wb6epp
Bus Model: 1980 Eagle mdl10

Post by wb6epp »

Welcome Vinnie: Here is my suggestion to you. Since you live in the Los Angeles area, I would look up a welding school. Go talk to the instructor, get a student that is close to graduation that he recommends. And or ask the instructor if he would like the project in doing it (most likely "NO" due to liability) but a student would love it.
Next, who is going to supply the supplies and welder. Then negotiate how much pay? Next ask the instructor if he wouldn't mind coming by and check his work. Unless he is real busy, he will be more than willing.
Second, your engine choice is not going to please CA. DOT, as what I hear, California is trying to require all commercial Vehicles, and all diesels to have and pass a smog test to get a sticker to operate in the state. (check some of the truckers Blog for currant info.) Stay with a 4 cycle engine if possible. Two older engines comes to mind is a Cummins V8, 903, or a Mack V8. Both require a hefty turbo to get the horses out. But if you are going with a Detroit anyway, go for the 8-V92, as it is going to be about the same amount of money, since these engines are obsolete in the commercial market.
Last but not least do not tell Motor Vehicles what & why you want the coach. What you are stating here, you will be using it commercially and would require commercial license to operate.
Good luck and will look for your postings.
From another Newbiie, Ron
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

Welcome Vince,
The changes you mentioned, engine swap, raised roof, 5 ft. stretch & a meriad of additional related work all hired out to a reputable shop will run
$50,000 - $100,000. Do consider an engine that will offer more power such as a 8v92. When you were shopping did you by chance see any units that already fit what you are looking for? 45 ft., bigger motor, raised roof, etc.
This would have cut your down time while all the work was being done considerably. If you plan to do most of this work yourself plan on approx. $50,000 & in excess of 1000 hours of work time. I'm sure others will chime in with some options. Sorry to be so realistic. Almost sounds pestimistic, doesn't it? Good Luck & keep your eyes open for that unit that already has your needs taken care of... After all it is a buyers market.
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Vince-

Congrats on your new Eagle. . .sounds like you've made some big plans and you probably have a bit of work ahead of you. My wife and I have been working on our conversion for six years (so far) and it's starting to take shape.

We are in the Riverside area (unless we're on the road) and there are a few shops in the area that could probably help you out. I'm attaching a link to our website, which might give you an idea of what you have ahead of you: http://www.webcove.com/eagle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure where in the LA area you're at, but if you'd like to chat sometime about what's ahead of you, or stop by and take a look at our conversion, send me a note at: art2011@webcove.com

Good luck on your project and we'll be watching for your progress.

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
Oilslick
Bus Model: 1987 MCI-9 Sold!
1989 MCI 102A2 Sold!
1982 Eagle Model 10 Sold!
1988 Eagle Model 20 GSA Sold!
1981 Eagle Model 10 Entertainer

Post by Oilslick »

Hello! I am here in the shallow end of the pool as well. LOL!
Kevin B. Jones
Busless
DaveG
Bus Model: Currently do not own a bus, but I know people who do!

Post by DaveG »

Welcome, you have come to the right place, but as you have probably figured out, you have a long road ahead of you.

You may want to prioritize your list of things to do, such as must do, should do, might do...something like that.

Regarding repower, that might be lower on your list since it is already a runner. What ever you do, STAY AWAY from Cummins V8s! Sorry to conflict with WB6EPP, but Cummins never did any good with their V8s, and Mack...well that would be a nightmare! Repowering with 4 stroke has other issues that will add $$$ to the changeover...if budget is a concern, stick with another 2 stroke

Have fun and good luck.
tripz
silver eagle
model 10
8v71 automatic

Post by tripz »

Hello everyone!
I would like to thank everyone for such a warm welcome! I know I am truly in good hands now, and i have been reading your stories for two years on this site, so I feel like I know everyone! so forgive me Paul I should have know to ask Tech questions in the Eagle Tech section, will do from now on!
All the reply's have been just what I was praying for, good advice and more questions! thank you all again for making me feel welcome.
Ron, excellent! I didnt think of welding school I'll get on that monday morning! I was going to buy all the steel myself, from mill yard, just cheaper than Home depot. I've went on craigs list and found some mobil welders, once they seen the size of the eagle just laughed and walked out of my backyard!, one I did like and he gave a fair price. DMV intel very useful Ron, it is now a fully recreational bus conversion only!" smiling" now the motor stuff is really throwing me for a loop? I'm not sure which way to go with it now? but I will ask more detailed questions in Eagle Tech over the weekend so please look for them ron. I heard cummings were the way!? but one of the last comments said to stay away from them! man this is just a lot to think about! I'm leading tours the 8-v92 thanks .
John, yes! I am well aware of the cost from reputable shop, I cant spend that much! even if I had it, I'm a artist and I like working with my hands. I did see some 45 footers when I was shopping! but the prices were in the 70's to the 100's! my bus cost just under $11,000. I;m glad your the realistic one, I need that too! I could $50,000 over three years with me doing the work with some help i guess.
tripz
silver eagle
model 10
8v71 automatic

Post by tripz »

Art! truth be told, your the reason why I took on this project! once my Fleetwood broke down I started looking for tour buses and conversion buses!, I was way in over my head!, everything that was nice are finished was well over a $100,000! then I started looking up sites built by owners and found all the eagle sites and groups. yours was the first one i found that lead me here! so I already have every photo from your site from beginning to end, and yes, thats what made me think I could do it myself! so thank you specially bro! I live in Van Nuys area. and would love to drain your brain on the phone sometime! so yes, I will get in touch.
Kelvin nice to meet you as well! glad I have some other newbies with me! so we will be the grad' class of 2017, from the looks of the weekend bus conversion projects were undertaking. "smiling"
again thank you all, I will get out there this weekend if it doesnt rain, and take some photos for you to see her at the beginning. ciao!
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

That a boy Vinny. Keep up the spirit! I found it very interesting hoow much time I would spend thinking of a particular way to do something & all the options available. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere the right (for me) answer just appeared at the right time. Case in point the securing of the refrigerator to keep it from becoming a missle in some type of accident. All I could think of was some type of elaborate build a cabinet around it type of deal but the end result was so simple it was kinda cute me finally giving in to simple. I have given in to simple yet very functional a lot on this project. Good Luck again & we'll be watching...
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...