Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Duane & Cheryl's 89 Eagle Model 20

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F294729
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
40 ft
6v92 DDEC II Allision HT 748R
6" Roof Raise, 2 slides outs , center door entry.

Duane & Cheryl's 89 Eagle Model 20

Post by eaglebus8920 »

We bought our 1989 Eagle from New Jersey Transit in April just before the attack on the World Trade Center. We did not have the time to drive it home, so we had it shipped to St. Louis, MO. This was the beginning of our conversion, we have only used it one time before we started the 7 year and counting process. This is the Eagle finally at home before we started to convert it .

The first thing we did was to remove the road a/c, this model had the a/c condenser and fan motors above the engine. We also removed the seats and luggage racks. I will never remove seats from another bus, we found some really odd things there as well as in the luggage carrier.

The next task we tackled was raising the roof 6'", Cheryl was very concerned about doing this. When I told her we are going to cut the roof off, she wanted to know where the exit was to escape. :o

Then came the job of removing the front cap. All the work that you will see done on the Eagle was perfromed by just Cheryl and me. :o

Finally it was time to install the new cap. This was not as easy as I thought it was going to be with just 2 people doing it. I had Cheryl stand in the drivers area as I lifted it up to her on a scaffold. :idea:

I told Cheryl that now it was time to finally have some fun. We began to install the 18 ga steel on the sides, it was July and 100 degree's out. The sheet steel was so hot that we needed gloves to handle it. :shock: :o

Next on this list was to convert the baggage door to cafe doors. I thought I could make a jig to do this, but found out that every door opening was alittle different.

Cheryl then said it was time that we found something really exciting, like a bedroom slide out :roll:

Well that little excitiment of the bedroom slide out took 6 months of my time.
In the end it was all well worth it , as you will see in the final pictures.

We decided that since we had a bedroom slide out, why not have a living room slide out as well.

Winter has set in and it gets really cold working outside all the time.

Long time coming, but all the new polished aluminum siding is on the Eagle.

Well it's time to move to the interior since winter has come. All of the interior walls were coated with black undercoat spray

I ran all 110v wiring in blue conduit thru out the bus.

The foaming of the interior walls was not one of our favorite things to do.

Now it was time to put the plywood on the walls.

Instead of using screws to hold the plywood we countersunk each hole and used steel pop rivets.

The 12 volt supplines lines were also run in blue conduit.

The rear veiw camera installed.

The layout of the left side water panel.

The finished left side water service panel.

The right side water control panel

This is the Hurricane hot water heat system. It also heats all of our hot water for dishes and showers. It is diesel fired and also runs on electric as well.

The right cargo area with slide out.

Time to move on to getting the generator in place. It is a 13kw Kubota 4 cyl, all of the parts I got from Dick @ Wrico. This gentleman is one of the best to work with.

I never thought I would make it to working on the interior, but that day finally came.
This is the future cabinet that will have the 37" LCD pop up tv.

Moving onto the front overhead cabinet.

This is the right side of the interior in the living room.

The overhead cabinets above the driver area.

The copilots chair.

The living room slide out on the left front side.

Looking from the front of the bus into the kitchen, this door goes into the bedroom.

This is the kitchen area on the right middle side of the bus.

The control panel area on the left middle of the bus in the kitchen. This area controls the 2 Trace Inverters 2500 mc, the 3 a/c units and the tank monitors.

The full size double door frig.

Looking from the bedroom into the kitchen.

This is the future area for the 110v control system bought from West Marine. The coach is all electric, we did not need 220v so the panels are split into 2 separate 110 v panels. this makes it easier to monitor all the usage.

Pocket door leading to the toilet.

The shower roughed in.

Working on the enclosed toilet area.

Finally finished the toilet area and the pergo floor.

Time to move back into the bedroom and vanity area.

This is the rear of the bus and the bedroom area.

This is the bedroom slide out on the right rear side of the bus.

Wow it's time for me to have some fun with this bus project. This is the rear bedroom 26" LCD tv with a dvd player in the lower part of the cabinet.

The rear bedroom pop up tv done.

Finally starting to see some progress now. This is the kitchen done except for some trim work and staining on drawers. ;)

This is the living room ceiling finished in an off white headliner, with fabric covered dividers at the joints.

The right side of the bus in the living room, this is the cabinet that has the LCD pop up tv.

The LCD TV raised for viewing. This can be viewed from the living room couch, the dinette, or the front drivers seat when it is turned around.

The left side of the dash finished. The GPS is located on the upper dash above the heater controls.

The right side of the dash.

The laptop is mounted between the captains chair and the copilots chair. It runs the Silverleaf software to monitor all of the engines outputs.

This is the living room slide out finished except for some minor trim.

Looking up in the bedroom is the mahogony tongue and groove ceiling. :idea:

The right side of the bedroom finished.

This is the entry steps to the coach.

This is the entry to the Eagle.

The right front bay is for my tool box, aux air compressor and retractable 110v cord. This is all on a slide out tray.

The tool box out for access to the air compressor.

The house batteries are next to the entry door on the right side, it is on a slide out for checking status of the batteries.

The house batteries with the slide out for viewing.

Hoooraaayyyy finally on the road but not painted yet, just in white expoxy primer,, but WE LOVE IT!!!!

If you have viewed these pictures, we want to thank you for your interest and also want to thank Eagle's International for a nice job they have done on this site. If you are not a member, you should think about it. Cheryl and I have been members since we before we bought our Eagle. You will not find a better group of people. :D Happy Traveling ;)

Duane & Cheryl

St. Louis, MO
1989 Eagle Model 20 40 ft
6v92 ddec II ht 748r
Last edited by eaglebus8920 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Duane & Cheryl's 89 Eagle Model 20

Post by Songman »

Very cool! So that is what mine looked like before it was stripped. The sides and caps were already gone from mine when I bought it.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Very nice job Duane!, I only hope I can move foward enough to start raising the roof ,good job
van
Last edited by van on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Duane,

All I can say is wow..... I am :mrgreen: with envy at your progress. Your doing a heck of a job there buddy. I think you are at what I call the fun part of the conversion. Keep posting some update pics for us. Looking good.......I know what a PITA those slide outs are to fab up, and you did a great job there....

....................Kentucky Steve ..............
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Duane,

I would like your thoughts on the Hurricane. I have the exact same unit that I am putting in my 20. I am also doing an all electric coach using a 15kw Isuzu diesel generator. Your conversion is really an inspiration to me.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Hi Duane,

I am amazed at the work you are doing. Very good job and great pics, thanks for sharing.

You have got my juices really flowing......

This is so great for this board, to be able to share what we are all doing....WOW!

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
40 ft

Post by eaglebus8920 »

I want to thank each and every one who has responded after viewing the work done on the Eagle. It keeps me inspired to complete this project. If I had known the magnitude of converting a bus I an not sure I would have tackled this. I have learned so much about different parts of the conversion and have met so many nice people willing to give their advice. This is the 7th year of working on the conversion. We are at about 96% finished with the interior and we primed the shell 2 weeks ago. We had plans on going to the 2008 Branson rally, but on the way we blew a radiator and had to be towed home. Come h___l or high water we will make it on the road some day :lol: :roll:

This weekend I am going to take the finished interior pictures and will post them very soon.

Duane & Cheryl
St. Louis
1989 Eagle Model 20
6v92 DDEC II Allison HT 748 R
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Two and a half months till Quartzsite! And only 1600 miles each way. Just a good stretch of the legs for the Eagle! I had a ball down there last time and my Eagle will be down there if only skin deep barring some major catastrophe.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

Duane and Cheryl,

Lani and I (and everyone else) missed you at the Branson rally. Sorry you couldn't get there.
Your bus work shows extremely well. You are going to show a bunch of us up pretty bad. I won't park next to you and that will take care of that.
Again, I am very impressed. Look forward to seeing it after the 1600 miles you drive to Quartzsite in January.

Take care,

Bill Pratt
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
40 ft

Post by eaglebus8920 »

Songman,

What would you like to know about the hurricane heat system.

If you list me some of your questions I will try to answer them for you. I love this system, when it is too cold to work outside, I just turn it on one day it was 38 outside within about 20 minutes it was so warm inside it had to turn it down.

I am running 2 different zones in the bus 1 zone in the living room kitchen and 1 zone in the bathroom bedroom. I have 2 heater core in living room and 2 in the bedroom. At first I thought i would need one more heater core in the kitchen as well, but so far it has been working just fine. I also have one in the water bay on its own thermostat. Write and we can talk more about it.

Duane & Cheryl