Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

BoxcarOkies 1983 Eagle 10-S

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
BoxcarOkie

Re: Boxcar Okies 1983 Eagle

Post by BoxcarOkie »

[quote=The Round Headlights You Removed......Do You Still Have Them ?? If You Do And Would Like To Get Them Out Of There...Please Give Me A Shout..(785)259-3752[/quote]

The headlights and the covers are long gone, sorry.

BCO
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

Dreamscape wrote: I like the front look, very clean and modern!
Trying for "Distinctively Different" is what we are hoping to achieve here, shoot for the moon Paul, if you miss, you still have the stars!

BCO
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

Some mornings I like to come in here to my drivers lounge in the bus shop, put on the headphones (Bose noise reduction – block out 90% of all external noise) stare into a picture of the Rockies or Sierra Nevada range and let it all hang out. I can put on those headphones, stare at a picture for a few minutes, or a block of time that has no actual count, and transport myself to a warm granite rock and a cool can of Mountain Dew and escape for a brief moment in time.

It might remind some of the movie with Christopher Reeves “Somewhere In Time” when he transports himself back in time, about 100 years or so, and then has a romance with a woman who has captured his heart. Which we all know was the main love interest in the movie Jane Seymour.

One thing God richly rewarded me with was an over active imagination. The rest of it, all of it, comes secondary almost as if by human nature. But often I have to work at it to escape the hum-drum routine I know as life. Today I am locked down as workman install new storm windows in the home, so I am shut in and shackled to the abode. So in between the noise of hammers and vacuums, I transport myself somewhere else.

Often I can place myself behind the wheel of a million dollar coach and a lonely stretch of road, it is just that easy. One of the great things about life and the imagination is the ability to escape for just a little while. Time is endless, weather is perfect, the diesel is after all … free. Name me a better deal (sex doesn’t count).

Although I am prone to complain much too often, I do have it made. Luckily for me, I am not one of those who can only dream of visiting one of these beautiful areas of America. I guess what I set out to share with you this day, is the thought that we often take too much of this for granted and we should stop and consider how special our random lives are.

One of the positive points about owning and maintaining a bus, is that it affords us the privilege of getting out and seeing new places in life. That in itself is worth all the trouble, just to know that you don’t have to be shackled to some mega Rat Hole full of predatory citizens, crack-heads, or dope fiends.

But rather live and travel in a reasonably safe and sane environment. We are privileged to live in a rather special corner of life. We should be thankful for this day. And the next time I find myself sitting on a rock at Convict Lake in the Sierra’s or any other spectacular location in this country, I am going to relish it like a bottle of fine wine.

I am going to smile and immerse myself in the moment. I am going to mentally bottle it up and save it for another day. For I consider myself a fortunate pilgrim indeed, even when I sit around the fire-pit at a bus rally and the smoke gets in my eyes.

See you in the fast lane ….

BCO
ldsrr91@gmail.com
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: BoxcarOkies 1983 Eagle 10-S

Post by Dreamscape »

A great reminder for all of us! Thanks for the push! 8-)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

Do Over
My friend, Delbert and I, are over at the coffee shop, eating breakfast and he asks me, “Did you get up grumpy today?” and I said, “Naw, left her in the bed and came on down here!”

Take My Wife … Please!
Then we started “conversating for real” as we is prone to do (which is Okie Talk). Television came up. A very popular show on television is this show “Extreme Makeovers.” Which made me think of “What would it be like, if you got a second chance in life?” I don’t really want a make over, what I want is a DO OVER. That sort of appeals to me, one more go at it, I guess everyone is like that in some way.
It is after all, something to think about.
If we had it all over to again, would we make the same mistakes?
Would we make more of them?

Would we learn how to relax, or would stress eat our lunch and control our days.
Would we limber up and find some laughter and joy in life, if we had this second chance.
Would we take it all more seriously or blow the second shot right out the window?
From my standpoint, I know I would take more trips, meet more interesting people, go to unique places … But that is the nature of my carbon based life form. Perhaps it could turn out that when a few of us do the “do over” a small majority could end up even crazier than we are now, why not, this was sort of fun at times. Might climb a mountain, swim in a river, and sit still along enough to enjoy the setting sun. In my next life I would walk more, and drive less. I would do less talking and more looking.
More Ice Cream and a lot less green beans.
Pay more attention to the real problems in my life, and ignore the imaginary ones.
Live life, prophylactically and sensibly hour after hour … Day after day. When I hit high gear on the second time around, I will refrain from using words like Prophylactically (“acting to defend against or protect from something”) mainly because most people do not use words like that, don’t know the meaning of them, and everyone is going to be able to see how smart you are anyway …… Usually in about five minutes in most cases.
What else might we do?
We won’t dress for success.
We won’t eat chocolate, drink Coke
We won’t shove a lot of groceries down our necks.
Man, I seem to be on a roll here. I won’t try to program my senses and my life for monetary gain, prestige or power. I will stop and buy whatever little kids are selling from a stand beside the road. Will cease getting all bent out of shape over people who do not use spelling checkers. The ones who write all the hate emails and imply my parents were not married.
Definitely would have more “lite Bulb” moments, if I was allowed to do it over again.
Less country music and more spiritual uplifting gospel music would be the order of the day
Moment after moment, I would not only seek them out (lite bulb moments), I would have MORE of them in my life
The second time around we could do some housecleaning in our lives. Toss out thermometers, hot water bottles, gargles, raincoats, cable TV bills, telephones (especially cell phones), voice mail, user names and passwords.

We could all travel lighter, visiting places we have not yet been. If the wife wanted to sit in the bus, I would allow her this luxury of life, it is after all, her second time around too. Me? I am gonna walk over to the guardrail and see how far I can spit! (Boys will be boys y’know.)

Nothing would hold me back … I am going Barefooted if I have to … I am stepping out. I will head out in the spring and miss the tornados and twisters on the plains. Spend most of the summer and some of the fall, in the cool air of the mountains somewhere, perhaps outside of Fresno, just a tad bit north of Songman’s house, in the High Sierra’s.

I would stop every now and then just to smell the flowers. Set aside self ambition and personal preference for God’s will and his way in my life. Choose the right priorities and force myself to realize the importance of a spirit filled life, a life which has all the earmarks of Christian Service.

Just depends on how you look at it I guess. Life is a lot like a deck chair. Some place it so they can see where they are going, and some place it to see where they have been. Some just stick them up against the wall to lean back and watch the present unfold before their eyes.
And then there is mine … On some days, no matter how hard I try … I often I can’t even get mine unfolded. One of these days, when I get it all together, I am going to do it. Unfolding my deck chair, I am going to sit in the sunshine, and listen to God and what life is telling me.

See you in the fast lane … Life is short … Enjoy the ride.

BCO
Last edited by BoxcarOkie on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

Box Car....That Was Very Heavy.....And Very True. And Very Well Said..... :D

10-4
8-)
JOHN
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Don I like it. and you know there is no time like the present, I have touched base with every single thing you mentioned. thought the same from time to time. As for a do over, Not a chance. From the streets of phoenix to the jungles of Vietnam , To the depts of depression to the heights of a job well done. and just about every where in between I would not want to change a thing .

Yes at one time in my life I would have liked to made more money, a bigger house, a faster car, Hell I had two wifes , and that wasn't enough lol . But the one thing that I have now that I didn't have then, was the knowledge that God loved me than as much as he does now and in the big scheme of things that is all that matters.

I made choices in my live , some good , some bad and some just down right stupid but by the grace of God I lived thur them . So I guess I get a Do Over every single day that the good Lord grants me another Day in this big beautiful world and I have commited to making a difference in how I lead my life and the people that I meet.

So thanks for helping me with my adventure and look forward to meeting you in the Hills .
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

So thanks for helping me with my adventure and look forward to meeting you in the Hills .[/quote]

Careful.

hahahahahahaha

It must be me, I am mixing my own medications again.

BCO
ldsrr91@gmail.com
sstrucinski
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle '04

Post by sstrucinski »

"Somewhere in Time" is one of my favorite movies. That's my 2-cents.

I like the way you think Boxcar.
Stephanie

1966 Silver Eagle 04
BoxcarOkie

LIGHTEN UP

Post by BoxcarOkie »

Lighten Up

Hey Don , it looks nice I have a ? for you ,when you changed over your Eagle to LED did you use the 1157 led Blubs or did you change the whole lite ? I guess I could look at your project page . Iam thinking of switching ours over so was wondering . Thanks you Bus is looking Nice Andy

Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481

Hello Andy, I will do my best to answer some of your questions this morning, then it is hit the “Yard Donkey” (riding lawnmower) and get after it!

I checked back and the last time I put anything in there (the projects string) was back in March of this year. To be honest about it, I am not sure what all is in it, to tell you the truth. When I get an idea I usually just post it in Eagle Tech or Travel or something like that. I also freely admit a lot of it is not where it is supposed to be, but then again, I never claimed to be computer literate. I trust the adminstrators to move it if need be.

Pretty much low maint. I cannot be counted on to be disciplined at this. I am not all that motivated to maintain and keep up a project page. Project pages are big time eaters, and this takes me away from my “Idea Bank.” Here is a shot of it here, in the late afternoon this is where most of my fantastic (yawn) ideas are spawned. Hurr-yuk, Okie humor.
The only stock lights left on Daddy’s Hobby (our coach) are the instrument lights. All our step lights, interior overhead, and misc lighting has been changed over to LED. In answer to your question, yes, the marker lights are 1156, be forewarned “they are a tight fit” but they work. They are not cheap, if you have been shopping around and looking at them, then you already know what I am talking about here.

Most of my stuff is truck stuff, it comes from United Pacific or Rockwood Industries, no Chrome Shop Mafia. Eagle items are coming out of IBP in Florida and some other places.

The first to go were the headlights. One of the things I found out from the onset was the old Eagle round style lights did not do the job. I updated it to an ‘89 model by installing square lights, which were later replaced with new sealed beam units (also from United) that present 40% more light. Worked out well.

Second came the side turn reflectors, again of my design.

Step lites, front to rear interiors, all of my design and truck-stuff. Van is the only member that has personally observed any of this, and he can testify to their brightness and overall effectiveness.
All my markers are white light LED’s (they appear to be white during daylight hours) to blend in with the silver sides of the bus. The side markers, lower bumper running lights, are all Phoenix Design, which is a local outfit here in Oklahoma City.
At one time the owner was the founder of Panelite, he has since retired, but you can still get their stuff. They also fabricate a lot of my stainless steel items.

My tail lights and turn signals are a mix. I used standard Eagle parts, modified them to fit the new lights, and then installed them on the coach. Once again, they are white light and I tried to do my best to blend them in, and at the same time, acquire a radically different look for the bus.

The above shot is just running lites, the brake lights are not shown.

A lot of this is not strictly bolt up, or in other words, You cannot just change it all over. You have to put in a new flasher units with the LED’s and also on my rear tail lights, I had to wire in two bulbs into the circuit in order to create resistance for the flasher units (these are standard bulbs hidden in the engine compartment). Most all of the other stuff is bolt up or bolt on items, except the custom stainless steel items that I designed and had made for me.

When it comes to the bus, I have discovered that “cheap” is not the way to go, as with most things, you spend more replacing this “Made In China” garbage that doesn’t seem to work. Whenever possible I try to purchase high-end or middle of the road items, I shy away from cheap.

When you go the cheap route you just throw good money after bad, it never works. I just ate a set of underbody neon’s as a prime example, only mounted a short time, and they all switched for some reason from red to white. Receipt was long gone, so I could not take them back. PEP Boys sells these, take my advice, steer away from them, there are far better units available and they too, are in LED.
For example here are our Pimp Lites:

As you can see, I clearly like the LED’s ... Jury is in on that .... Guilty as charged.
In the beginning I set out to build us a "head turner" and I believe we have accomplished that. Our old hoopie will hold its own with just about anyone else, and it gets a lot of flowers from the boys on the slab (comments on it over the CB) so I believe we have been successful.

There isn’t another coach in America with this particular lite setup and I not only like the appearance of them, I find myself quite proud of the way they turned out. I can say this, because most of them are of my design. It all went together with a lot of help of my friend Randy at Eagle Interior Accents in Oklahoma City (405-495-1899).

The lights not only change or update the bus, but they also remain within the parameters of keeping the same good lines that the Eagle is famous for. It also might be worth mentioning here, that some won't approve. There are those in the Eagle community that most likely do not go for this kind of change, and that is understandable.

But at the end of the day, there is only one thing that really matters.

In the end ... the only person who has to like them ... Is the guy that put them in,
and he is ... as far as I know ... okay with it all.

The only person who doesn’t really get into it is my bride, she will look at something and she will say .... “What did you spend on that?” and I tell her .... which always leads to a lively discussion on new counter tops in the kitchen. (Which is really stoopid when is the last time you heard of some dude driving a counter top to a bus rally, think about it.)

Watch those right-handers, see you in the fast lane. *

BCO

* Van I am pimping off the toad, have one light on order as we speak, it will match the bus exactly (or as close as I can get it).
ldsrr91@gmail.com