Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Change NJT M20 from air to elec start

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
ArtGill
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F293518
Bus Model: 1989 NJT model 20

Change NJT M20 from air to elec start

Post by ArtGill »

Every time I look at that big air tank in my third bay, I wounder about the cost to change to Electric start. Those that have made the change, what did you need and estimate of cost. Was there any changes to the DDEC or wiring? Were there any regrets after making the change?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Art
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Change NJT M20 from air to elec start

Post by Songman »

Art,

My starter was already changed when I got my 20 so I can't help any with telling you the costs. What I can tell you is that if it were not already changed, it would be among my first upgrades!

I will still need to do a little work to my bus concerning the starter whenever I redo the dash area and add a key system. For whatever reason that I have not figured out yet, the bus will not start with the dash mounted switch. It will only start from the back. From the front, it will turn over a couple of times very slowly and that is it.

On my bus air starter is gone, air wipers are gone... Good riddance! 8-)
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F294729
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
40 ft
6v92 DDEC II Allision HT 748R
6" Roof Raise, 2 slides outs , center door entry.

Post by eaglebus8920 »

Art

When we bought the Eagle at NJT, I had them load an electric replacement starter for the bus in the bay so I would have it when they delivered the bus. The first thing I did when I recieved the Eagle was to replace the starter. I also removed the big air tank and all the air lines that were involved in the air start system. I do not have Luke's number handy but maybe somebody on the board could get you his number. The starter came with a wiring diagram, which fairly simple to install. You do not have to change anything in the DDEC II system. The wiring consisted of I think 3 wires which is included in the price of the starter. If I remeber correctly it was around $300.00 for the starter and wiring loom, but that was also 6 years ago. I have not once wanted to go back to the air start system. I hope this answers all your questions.

Duane

ST. Louis. MO
89 Eagle Model 20
6v92TA Allision HT 748 R
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Art, there is a guy on Ebay that has MT39 Delco 12 volt starters for $149.00 new no rebuild that is the lightweight reduction starter that would work good for you and the price is right $180.00 with shipping good luck
ArtGill
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F293518
Bus Model: 1989 NJT model 20

Post by ArtGill »

Luvrbus,

Thanks for the lead. Do you know if that starter will bolt up to a 6V92TA? I will not have a starter, other than air, that I can take parts off of to make a new one fit. Does it turn the right direction? I'm ready to buy, unless you have heard something about these starters.
Art
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

I am following this thread because I have never heard of an air starter. Anyone care to enlighten those of us who "Don't Know"? :o
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Paul,

The 119 New Jersey Transit Eagles were all equipped with an air starter as they specified. They had a 70 gallon air tank mounted in the third baggage bay for the starter only. This allowed them to be able to start the bus even if the batteries were dead. Also their towing vehicles were equipped with air compressors to be able to fill the air tank quickly so they could start the bus and get it off the side of the road in case of breakdown. I have several of these air starters that were removed from some of these buses, which will probably be tossed in the trash.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Thanks Dan for the information, I had no idea! Now I know! ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/