Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

In Search of an Eagle to bring into Canada

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Dean
Bus Model: Currently shopping/searching for an Eagle

In Search of an Eagle to bring into Canada

Post by Dean »

Good afternoon Eagle International Members,
My wife and I are inquiring on the possibility (or challenge!) of purchasing and bringing a Silver Eagle into Canada. I have always been a big fan of these amazing creatures (as a previous touring musician) and am an all around admirer of the look and qualities of the Eagle but have never owned one. My daughter is now taking the next step in her musical journey and I am now seeking a dual purpose vehicle for both touring (when it is needed) and for recreation RV purposes,
I have provided a link to a recent promo video of her stuff ( I am the old fart on the upright LOL!) so that you have a better idea of the purpose of the search,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxoUdmhQQjA

Can any member share there experiences and what they have heard (or experienced) on the challenges of getting an Eagle across the U.S./Canada border? If we can pass that green light, then we want to spend the next year or so on searching for an Eagle bus that will meet our price point and needs.
Jim, thank you for allowing the approval of my application and thank you in advance members for your valuable feedback and time!!

Dean Cherkas
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Re: In Search of an Eagle to bring into Canada

Post by Bus & Car »

The way I heard it, if a vehicle is at least 15 years old, you will have no trouble getting it into Canada. Yes, there will be some fees and customs duties to pay but these are not excessive. You may also need to have a Canadian safety inspection done so it's better to have problems corrected while in the USA before you start the import process.

I'm sure the Canadian govt will have something online available to help you through the process. Try searching for something like 'How do I import an older vehicle into Canada' or similar.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
Dean
Bus Model: Currently shopping/searching for an Eagle

Post by Dean »

Thank you for the quick reply! That info is much appreciated. I have also heard of the 'if vehicles are over 15 years of age then inadmissibility is not an issue' however its all good until you hit the border and then the blood pressure goes through the roof LOL!
Bus & Car

Post by Bus & Car »

Try this...

https://www.milgram.com › ignitionweb › data › ddm › Vehicle_Import_Inst

If it's a Bus & Car Eagle, it can not be newer than 1970 and you'll have to prove it's exact age.

If it's a Texas Eagle, it must be at least 15 years old.

Import taxes will depend on various things and will be higher than expected as there are several different taxes to pay. This entire scam was designed to protect Prevost from overseas competition back in the day.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Here's probably the right reference.
Do your research!!!!!
The Ones I know about were titled Prevost by Professional Converters.
There are several members in Canada. A look at the Membership Roster should list them. Contact them and find out how they did it.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety ... ion2_0.htm
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I decided to get an expert opinion on importing Eagle buses/RVs into Canada. My source is Ewen Steele (Buswarrior on the boards) who had a great deal of experience with the issue. While his experience does not directly involve Eagles, he is quite knowledgeable on the general subject. Indeed he is in the process of importing a 1995 MCI 102D3 at the present time. Here is a link to that thread: http://busnut.com/forum/index.php/topic,3561.0.html.

BTW, I have known Ewen many years and he is a super neat guy that has a ton of bus background.

Here is his response to my question:
The short answer, any Eagle built after Jan 1 1971 is not admissible for import into Canada.

Eagle did not sell buses in Canada, and to further complicate any attempt, it is long out of business.

If a conversion company of significance, still in business, and on the list, with acceptable builder's plate and credentials was involved in converting a unit, perhaps there is a gap there? I would NOT pursue that gap alone, I would get a border broker familiar with these matters to do the research. The uninitiated use the wrong words and get themselves red flagged...

For your reading pleasure, the beginning of the information search is with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at http://www.riv.ca and continues with the links to Transport Canada and Environment Canada. Licensing requirements are a provincial matter.

There is similar convoluted process to import vehicles into the USA, so don't think you are being picked on, or that this is some nefarious protectionist procedure, as alluded to by other posters.

Fwiw,Prevost was only a small regional manufacturer until Volvo got involved inthe 80's, you will have a hard time finding older Prevost anywhere.
So, it looks like it is nearly impossible to import an Eagle into Canada. MCI and Prevost are easier since they have/had manufacturing plants in Canada.

Ewen makes the point that some converters have re-titled Eagles and if you can find one, it might make is past the border.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Tim Wice is the man on importing Eagles to Canada he taken several from the US into BC Canada over the past 20 years you should be able to PM through this board
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

It may make a difference if it is titled as a motorhome.
I know several folks that have done it.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

The doctor from Canada with the nice model 15 RV at Laughlin one year Joe kept it on the US side because of the import laws
Bus & Car

Post by Bus & Car »

1966 01 Eagles with frame/chassis numbers 6966 to 6969 and 6973 to 6976 were the first Bus & Car Eagles sold in Canada to a public operator in the northwest. In 1972, B & C sold frame/chassis numbers 8560 to 8563 plus 8776 to an operator in Quebec. Another operator in Quebec bought a Model 05 with chassis/frame number 30195 in 1980 but it could have also been a Model 10 depending on the exact date produced as both models were built that year.