Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Registering a bus. Traveling status.

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Rod

Registering a bus. Traveling status.

Post by Rod »

Hi. My husband and I are new to the world of bus life. It looks like we have located our new home which is registered in the state of Oregon. We are presently in California but plan on leaving the state soon. I heard that there is some type of residency you can establish in the state of Montana that covers folks traveling and living in their RVs. I hope I'm making sense. Thank you. Also we are trying to find some sales jobs for RVers too.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: Registering a bus. Traveling status.

Post by DoubleEagle »

Things might have changed, so check with Montana government offices, but I believe you need to have a residence in Montana for at least 180 days to be considered a resident, and change your plates & license to Montana's. In subsequent years you have to be in the state for 120 days minimum to retain residency, and you need to pay whatever Montana taxes there are. You can only be a primary resident of one state at a time. To qualify for in-state college tuition rates, you have to be a resident for one year (that is how I got to know anything about Montana's rules). It used to be that Oregon had some of the cheapest rates for license plates (40 years ago). I knew a military serviceman that had Oregon as his official State of record, but had not set foot in it for years, but still had Oregon plates.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

We have full timing friends that registered in South Dakota.
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
Liberty
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F415412
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle 01 #7211

Post by Liberty »

mydakotaaddress.com has worked for us since 2010
LeRoy
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Post by Bus & Car »

I have been a Florida resident since 1967, the year I first joined the military. I have kept it up but no longer have a driver's license or a car registered there. I voted in Florida around 1978 so I've just sent off a new voter's registration request. Only real problem is that it's from a city that I only lived in as a student, have never returned to and have no interest in the local politics. I am hoping that when this is approved I can get it changed to a county that I actually lived in way back when.

Other than the fact that I did live in Florida for a number of years, the main reason I keep my residency there is Florida is one of the few states that does not have a state income tax. Living overseas means that I don't wish to pay taxes to some state that would never give me anything in return.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
Rod

Post by Rod »

it's good to hear some others ideas and feedback on Registration options and considerations.Are there other favored states people would consider to Register a coach ??
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Post by Bus & Car »

These 7 states have no state income tax, handy if you're out on the road somewhere when it's due:

AK--FL--NV--SD--TX--WA--WY

NH--TN effectively have no state taxes for retirees up to a point. The only tax for retirees is, in both states, a 5% tax on interest and dividends.

But there's a lot more to it than that.

TX, for example, has much higher than average property taxes.

And AK has out of sight living costs that more than offset the lack of personal taxes.

HI has very low property taxes.

From just a tax angle, DE is one of the best. Property and income taxes are lower than average and there's no sales tax. On the other
hand, you get strong winters.

Other states without sales taxes are AK--MT--NH--OR

And there are many other things to consider like the quality of life, climate, geopgraphical location and so on.

Another idea is to live in a state near it's border with one or more other state(s). One may find it's chaper to shop in a state with low or no sales taxes
but otherwise expensive to live there.

Many folks first think of Florida. As a rule of thumb, the more south you go, the more expensive it gets in or near urban and coastal areas. And don't forget
all those insects and alligators!!!

California is another popular retirement destination. It's also one of the most expensive. On the other hand you get what you pay for in terms of services. And
housing costs in urban areas are much above the national average.

Most states do not tax Social Security along with federal (military and civilian) retirement payments or at least exempt part of them form taxable income.

It really pays to spend some time online looking into this before making a decision on a permanent place to live.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

It all comes out about the same in every state,my plates for a 1996 MCI here in AZ cost me 55 dollars for 5 years, states,cities,counties and the Feds get their money one way or the other.Now we have another problem with some states drivers licenses like here in AZ you cannot even buy a friggn air line ticket without a passport because our drivers licenses have Not Good For Federal ID across them BS
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Post by blue_goose »

Don't know about most of the states, but the ones that I have lived in you can't get a drivers license with out proof that you have a SS card and residence in the state. If you have a drivers license then that is the state that you are supposed to be livening in.
The people that I know that have there coach registered in other states have set up an LLC and put the coach in the name of the LLC.
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member