Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Good morning New Owner Here

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
rusty741
Bus Model: TBD

Good morning New Owner Here

Post by rusty741 »

Good morning Everyone, and thank you to Jim for approving me.

My wife and I bought this gem last weekend (Pictures below) and I had a few questions. Overall she looks really clean. I went kind of went through the pre-purchase check list on the tech forum (I think it was there) and she is checking out fine so far. Major frame components have no rust, there are some smaller tubing in certain areas where it is rusted such as the frame to hold up the spare tire, but all in all the major components look fine. I had 2 days to look at the bus, however I did not find this check list until after my first night, so I only had a few hours to check the rest. I will be back there before I give him all of the money to do my final inspection and we have it built into the contract that I can back out for any reason and loose only 500, and was hoping that I could get a professional to look at it, preferably someone that has knowledge with these which is where I'm stuck. The bus is located in Paris, Texas. I have a call out to Tejas Coach as he is out in the area, but I can't get a return call. Put a call into Sonnie, but than read in a later thread that he has passed away :( so the only call I have returned is someone from a Semi Truck shop, and I guess I will go with them if I have nothing else.

I have never worked on a diesel before so this is a learning curve to me. I do have a motorhome with a 454 Chevy that I know pretty well, and have done head replacements on a 350 chevy so I'm not afraid to get down and dirty, but I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I've learned under intense pressure broken down on the side of the road, and I've gotten pretty good at diagnosing my current motorhome's symptoms. I would just like to make sure she is safe to drive home to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Main concerns are:

Brakes, I do not know how to tell if the brakes are good or not. My current motorhome gave me a scare one with a complete brake failure.
Run-Away Engine, I hear these things can run-away, if I'm driving the bus is there an emergency shutoff in the cockpit?

I wasn't sure if I should do a 100,000 mile service on it or not, and maybe what kind of price I should be expecting. I'd hate to pay 2k for something that should cost only 500.

This is the third one my wife and I have looked at, We were looking around the 15k mark, however once I saw this one I dug down for an extra 10k because frankly all of the others needed 20k worth of work to make it look as nice.

The only defincies with this one are: 6500 watt Gas Generator, would prefer something 10k minimum and diesel.
No Hitch
No Propane (Although I'm not sure if this matters or not, I've had my motorhome for 6 years now and we only filled up propane once 5 years ago).

Has 1 roof AC and 2 Central AC's, but I would only be able to run 2 AC's at a time with the Genset.
Full size fridge
Full size sink
Electric Stove.
65 Gallon holding tanks
65 gallon fresh water
25 gallon Gas for the genset
For the central air, instead of cutting out a hole in the door to let it breathe, he cut the whole in the bottom. Not sure if I agree with this approach, but everything done top notch.

The current owner has owned it for 7 years, and it took him 4 years to complete the renovation.

1986 Eagle Model 15
6v92 with a Rebuilt 740 Allison automatic.

Mileage is unknown. The odometer is reading 92,000, but he believes it was rolled back. It is in working condition.

To make a full complete list here are my notes from the check list will be going back to finish the missing parts of the list:

1. Walk up to the Bird and open the lower access door under the drivers window. If it is all rusted out close it and thank the owner for his time.This is a good indicator of things to come.
<<<Looks Great, nothing more than a little surface rust>>>>
2. If it looks ok, open the upper access door above it. This is the forward electrical compartment. Have a good look at the wiring for corrosion and hopefully the Eagle wire numbers are still on the wiring which will make identifying the circuits easier. If you are real lucky the inside of the door will have a readable wiring diagram there.
<<<Labled, with diagrams and looks nice and neat>>>
Sight down both sides of the bus skin. Is it buckled or wavy?
<<<Not at all, in perfect condition>>>
Remove the front bumper and crawl up in the spare tire compartment. Look at the steering box and look for previous damage or rust.
<<<Was not able to perform this procedure>>>
Crawl under the bus and look at the metal under the drivers compartment.
<<<Looks fine, better than my current motorhome>>>
Look at the front torsilastics.(BIG MONEY) Is the rubber hanging out of the ends of the tubes? How much thread (adjustment) is left on the adjusting rods? check the condition of the brake lines.
<<<This area was a little hard to tell, I think it is fine, but I need to do another inspection>>>
Look very carefully at the inside wheelwell, especially against the outer side above the tire for rust.
<<<No Rust>>>
Open all of the bay doors. what is the condition of the bays? Are the tunnel covers there? Take them off and look at the things inside.
<<<Looks great, I could eat off of them>>>
Look under the baggage bays. Are the longitudinal steel tubes in good shape? Is the tube under the door rusted out?
<<<These tubes need to be replaced at some point>>>
Is the fuel filler tube in good shape? Does it seal when closed?
<<<Tube looks to be good, although did not check the seal>>>
Is the bogie out of alinement?
<<<Not really sure what this is>>>
Check the rear torsilastics and wheel wells for the same things as the front.
<<<Need to get back there and check this>>>
Open the air compressor door. Is the bus air still there? If so I recommend you get it removed if you buy the coach.
<<<Need more information about this>>>
Open the engine door and both corner doors. Hopefully the rear electrical compartment will still have the dust cover. It may also have a readable wiring diagram. Check the corner doors for operation and the wiring for condition. Look at everthing you can see. Does the engine or miter box leak?
<<<Need to go back and look at this, but condition wise she is looking fine>>>
Crawl under the bus and check the engine and transmission for leaks. Also check the cooler hoses from the engine and transmission for condition.
<<<No leaks other than it leaks from the Air Box or slobber tubes, from what I can tell>>>
Open the radiator door. Does the radiator have corrosion? Damage?
<<<Looks great>>>
Work your way up the left side checking the same things you checked on the right.
<<<Looks great>>>
If the bus has an automatic, pull the dipstick. The fluid should be the color of transmission fluid and not have a burnt smell.
<<<Fresh Fluid>>>
Go inside the bus and remove the access panel in the floor above the top step. Look at the stuff inside and evaluate.
<<<Need to do this>>>
Go to the inside rear of the bus and remove the engine access panels (both) and the panel just forward of them. Look at the blower and valve covers and everything else for leaks. Look at the fan hub and idler. Look at the power steering pump and air compressor and the rest of the hoses there.
<<<Need to do this>>>
Now start the bus, does it smoke? what color? does it clear up right away? Remove the oil filler tube cover. Hold your hand over the opening. Is there pressure (blowby)?
<<<I get a white smoke and it clears up right away. Need to test the pressure from the oil filler tube>>>

Anything else you guys can arm me with would be much appreciated. Also my bad about not getting pictures of the underneath, it was pouring down rain the second day and was muddy and did not have it in me to take pictures of the underneath.
20663155_10103384870644235_1000937176_o.jpg
20705997_10103384865364815_2110394782_o.jpg
20641954_10103384866622295_476367616_o.jpg
20663336_10103384864955635_1371625541_o.jpg
20642287_10103384870574375_708192976_o.jpg
20642098_10103384870928665_1111353551_o.jpg
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Good morning New Owner Here

Post by rusty »

Looks like a nice bus. For my use the holding tanks are a little small. If you go thru the above list you should know the bus. As to the brakes there is a procedure to go thru that you time how long it takes to air up, how long it holds air and how far the air drops when brakes are applied.I don't know all the times. Maybe we have it on the site somewhere. ( Jim knows all ) Also you can crawl under the bus and see the brake shoes and measure them.

Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

First of all Rusty, welcome to our forum. Now we have two Rustys :D

Next, you are doing a great job of "inspecting" the bus and vetting it here. It sounds like you have seen our thread on inspecting an Eagle. If not, here is the link: http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... fc07c8653b.

I posted this on another thread:
Several years ago, I wrote an article for our Eagles International Chapter Newsletter on the subject of inspecting/testing of the air brake system. I have added that article to our website articles page: http://eaglesinternational.net/category/articles.
That article focused on testing that can be done without getting under the bus. However, it is important to check the brake stroke for each axle location. I suspect that your bus has automatic slack adjusters, but they can lock up and fail to work properly.
As noted in my reply, that article focuses on testing done from the driver's seat. To fully check air brakes, you need to get under the bus (be sure that the bus is properly supported) and inspect the stroke of each brake as well as inspecting for contamination from seal leaks and brake pad thickness. This rather old thread touches on the subject: http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... =15&t=2280

The ultimate safety inspection would be to have a DOT inspection by a certified inspection. Many will not perform that inspection on a bus because of the challenge of getting under the bus. If you go that route, make sure that they perform the process, but not complete the paperwork. The paperwork is a reporting system and you do not want that.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Welcome to the Chapter!
I am the Author of the inspection you referenced.
It looks like you got a keeper.
here are my comments on some of your post. I originally answered this then inserted the brake check and the first part of this disappeared. maybe due to character limits. I hope I touched on everything you needed.

2. If it looks ok, open the upper access door above it. This is the forward electrical compartment. Have a good look at the wiring for corrosion and hopefully the Eagle wire numbers are still on the wiring which will make identifying the circuits easier. If you are real lucky the inside of the door will have a readable wiring diagram there.
<<<Labled, with diagrams and looks nice and neat>>>

Another stroke of luck. Most so not have these.

Remove the front bumper and crawl up in the spare tire compartment. Look at the steering box and look for previous damage or rust.
<<<Was not able to perform this procedure>>>

Look through the lower door under the driver window with a flashlight. You may be able to see some things.

Is the bogie out of alinement?
<<<Not really sure what this is>>>
The bogie is the single wheel in front of the drive wheels. If it is out of alignment, the tire will show the wear.

Open the air compressor door. Is the bus air still there? If so I recommend you get it removed if you buy the coach.
<<<Need more information about this>>>

This is the lift up door at the rear of the passenger side. Most conversions have it already removed and are using it for the generator or batteries. Works like the radiator door.

No leaks other than it leaks from the Air Box or slobber tubes, from what I can tell>>>[/u]

Those are the Air Box Drains. (Don't let Geoff hear you call them that other name :D ) You can clean the drain valves or replace them later. You'll probably install some kind of catch system for them.

Anything else you guys can arm me with would be much appreciated

No matter what you encounter, some of us have seen it and will help. Don't hesitate to ask.
Last edited by akroyaleagle on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Here's another I posted some years ago. It has disappeared from the Eagle Archives,

Try this. It is the DOT test!

AIR BRAKE TEST SINGLE VEHICLE

With ENGINE OFF, AIR PSI at MAXIMUM, wheels chocked, spring brake released,
and key on.

1)  Air Leakage Rate

a. Watch the air supply gauge for 60 seconds, the air loss should be no
       more than 2 psi
   b. Apply the foot valve fully, Watch the air supply gauge for 60 seconds,
       the air loss should be no more than 3 psi.

2) Air Warning Light

*Apply and release the foot valve until the air warning light comes on, this
    should happen before 60 psi.

3) Spring Brake

*Apply and release the foot valve until the spring brake pops out, this should
     happen between 20 and 45 psi.

4) Air Build Up Rate

* Start the engine to build air pressure, when air pressure reaches 85 psi, time
      build up rate to 100 psi at idle. It should take no more than 45 seconds.

5) Governor Cut Off

* The Governor should cut off at about 110 to 125 psi.
       You will hear air release from the system.

6) Spring Brake

a. Remove the chock blocks.
    b. Place the vehicle in drive.
    c. Attempt to pull the vehicle forward, the vehicle should not move.
                     d. Place the vehicle back in neutral.

7) Service Brake

a. Release the spring brake.
    b. Place your foot on the foot valve.
    c. Place the vehicle into drive.
    d. Put the vehicle in motion, when the vehicle reaches the speed of 5 mph
       apply the service brake to stop the vehicle. The vehicle should stop!

I have a computer full of these things. If your learning curve levels off a little, let me know and I will steepen it again.
There are some great Folks here. You will soon know where to get your info. You've already encountered some of them on this thread.
Good Luck, and enjoy the coach!
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Liberty
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F415412
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle 01 #7211

Post by Liberty »

welcome aboard and hang on for the ride.
LeRoy
rusty741
Bus Model: TBD

Post by rusty741 »

Thank you guys for all of the good information, especially to Joe for the Brake check procedure. I'm flying out on September 21st and have an appointment set up with Tejas Coach, as well I'm going to be completing my inspection, along with the brake procedure. If all goes well I'll be driving her back home.

I'll post more pictures once I get up there as I'm going through my inspection. It is killing me being in Florida and having that bus all the way up there, but it is what it is.

About us,

We are a younger couple in our 30's with 3 kids 1, 3, and 5. We have owed a 1972 Barth Motorhome with a 454 Chevy for the past 5 years and absolutely love it. It has certainly been a learning experience. I found out pretty quick that finding honest reliable mechanics are extremely hard to come by. After getting taken to town for 3k to find out they never fixed the issue, and all I needed to do was shove a hanger up the gas tank to unclog the fuel line I decided I'll do my own work. I've since replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, fixed all of the plumbing issues, and was getting around to redoing the inside as it was starting to show damage from the heat. I've found I'm a better mechanic than an interior guy so we decided to sniff around and see if we could find something that had that classic look and feel, but all done which is how we ended up at this Eagle.

I feel like for our price range this Eagle is going to provide a lot of bang for the buck. Hopefully with regular maintenance I'm not going to be spending too much or any time on the side of the road. I know some of the stuff is on the smaller side, but it is all triple of what we have, so this should be a good base to start with for us.

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens and thank you all again for noting my current inspection status. I'm going to get this all compiled into a nice binder to take up there with me as I'm doing the final inspections and start that for our future log book.

Have a great day all.

Regards,
Rusty.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

I knew someone would have the air system test. Thank You Joe. The only thing that might give you a problem is the test to see how long it takes to get to full pressure from 85 lbs. That test is for a truck and trucks do not have as many tanks as we do. So if it takes a little longer I would not read to much into it.

Wayne
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

There is an Eagle owner that lives in Pipe Creek, TX. His name is Al Moreno and goes by proudeagle10 on the board.

Go to his profile and send him a message or an email. He may be able to help you out.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/