Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Big radiator

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Jaymz
Bus Model: 1961 01

Big radiator

Post by Jaymz »

I have an 8v71 and repowering with an 8v92 next winter. But I may need a radiator now. Can a guy put the bigger 87x87 radiator, and put in 190 degree stats? What other way can a guy go to keep from running to cool?
Thanks

James
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Big radiator

Post by luvrbus »

How in the world would you install a 87 x 87 radiator in a 01 ?, my 05 with the 8v92 was 41x43-1/2 x 8 cores with a 32 inch fan and a new shroud and I had to move the drivers side battery box to do that.87 x87 is huge James what would you use for a fan or fans being that large
Jaymz

Post by Jaymz »

I'm sure that if I proof read my post I would had realize that a seven foot radiator would have been a bit much :shock:. I tried to find the post that had the dimensions, but it was what atlas used in the 8/92 m15. I thought it was a 47x47 - 7 core. Regardless if I'm spending 2k+on a radiator I only want to do it once. Sorry for the confusion.

James
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

You can put in whatever will fit through the opening. Or you must enlarge the opening. Oversized radiators will require larger fans and shrouds. If you are not pretty good at fabricating, it could run into a little money.

If you are set on the 7 & 1/2 footer, mount it on the front of the bus. That will require a periscope.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Jaymz

Post by Jaymz »

Woah now, nobody's talking about puttin a 7 foot radiator in the bus much less the front of it! Now as for being a "pretty good" fabricator.... Not really, but I have a nice miller and enough tools and common sense that I can fab the frame work for the radiator.
I am getting ahead of myself a bit. I have overheating issues. I just had a guy rebuild my water pump. He said that it was old but it still looked pretty good. So I'm ordering new stats and put them in next week. I just hope that will fix my problem.
Back to the original post. I just found a shutter system. I'm new and learning.....Now a "pretty good" fabricator could design a "flush" mount system, and use our siding as the fins. No more crappy expanded metal for ventilation.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

James you will need to measure but I think 42 inches is as tall as you can go,the radiator Tom at Atlas made for my 8v92 was 41-1/2 x 44 or 47 then I used the variable pitch 12 blade fan :mrgreen: the fan and the shroud cost almost as much as the radiator but it kept my 8v92 cool .I would use 180 t stats the 190's will put you on the warm side before they fully open JMO ? do you have a Allison,mufflers will heat it up also if they are in bad shape
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Some thoughts on Eagle radiator issues.

First of all, the fins on my 85 radiator were no longer solidly attached to the tubes. I had taken the radiator into a truck radiator shop to be rodded and cleaned. With the fins being loose, that turned out not to be an option.

Then I had to choose the tube technology. I chose dimpled based on their recommendation. I think I also had an extra row added to the core.

Next came the fan. The fan on the Eagles seems to me to be a bit puny to pull much air. When I did my engine conversion I changed to a much more aggressive fan and made sure the shroud was in good condition. I ordered my fan from http://kit-masters.com/identify-your-fan/. Clifford used an adjustable pitch, mine was fixed pitch.

Lastly, it sounds like you are going to fabricate some sort of special cover for the radiator. Be very careful. Even what appears to be an open mesh grill can have enough area blocking the air flow so as to affect the cooling.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.