Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Our Eagle is dead in the water

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Our Eagle is dead in the water

Post by beltguy »

Well, my preoccupation with preventative maintenance may have bit me in the butt.

This winter I did a valve adjustment on the Series 60. This is not rocket science, but is a rather complex process. With the engine in the bus, it is also a two person process. I enlisted my grandson to help.

I recently took the bus on a test drive and noted that it occasionally emitted large clouds of white/gray smoke (not water based smoke) and seemed to lack power. I laid the gray smoke off to the engine being cold.

Saturday we were scheduled to drive the bus to Dillon Colorado for our annual camping trip. After a few miles it was obvious that the bus was down on power and, at times, seemed to be running on five cylinders. I turned around and was able to drive it home with minimal problems.

The turbo boost and oil pressure are normal and the fuel filter (Davco 382) shows no signs of a fuel problem.

While we had some fun trips planned, they are now on hold or cancelled, since it will be this fall before I can recheck my work and/or trouble shoot the problem.

All is not lost, as our trips were a bit tentative since two of our daughters have been diagnosed with cancer and we need to stay pretty close to home.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Re: Our Eagle is dead in the water

Post by Bus & Car »

Hi, Jim

I am sorry to hear about the problems with the bus and even sorrier to hear that your two daughters have cancer. That has to be pretty hard.

I hope everything goes well with them and for the Eagle as well.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Joe, thanks for the kind words.

After I read my post I got to thinking it sounded like “woe is me”. Yes, it has been a roller coaster ride the past few weeks, but we are very fortunate to be living a darn good life. We salvaged the camping trip thanks to our daughter and her family who brought their trailer to our campsite (their reservation is for a week later), so we get to enjoy the amazing beauty of Dillon, CO (see photo).
Heaton Bay Campground.JPG
I think I should amplify on both the bus and our daughters’ health situation.

The bus problem is fairly minor – I think/hope. I think a re-check of the valve/injector/Jake settings and the electrical connections under the valve cover will solve the problem. I am going to let it set for a couple of months and do some other fun things. If anyone has any thoughts on my symptoms, please post.

Now to the daughter health issues. We drove down from the campground yesterday to be at the hospital where Lisa (oldest daughter) had 5 ½ hours of surgery – double mastectomy. She had previously had a lumpectomy a few weeks ago, but they discovered a second location with a different strain. After she recovers, she will have several weeks of Chemo.

At the same time our middle daughter, Kelly, was diagnosed with a recurring spot of cancer. She had a double mastectomy six years ago. Yesterday she found out that an MRI suggested that they had removed all of the new cancer with a lumpectomy a couple of weeks ago. That said, she will have a second lumpectomy just to verify the MRI findings. She will then go on radiation for several weeks.

I want to be very clear here – both girls have a very good prognosis. Further, both girls discovered the lumps early through self examination and have very good medical support.

Please all: be sure to do self exams and have your annual physical exam.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Jim,
Glad to hear the "better" news on your daughters. I have a cousin, Traci, at MD Anderson now receiving treatments, doesn't really sound good for her. Denise and I have you and your daughters in our prayers!

Your earlier post got me to thinking...On a lighter note, you/we should all strive to be more like Wayne. You know, have two Eagles, one to work on, and one always ready to travel. That way, you would always have something to do/work on, and yet still be able to "drop the hat" and go! But one thing to keep in mind...just remember to only work on the "work in progress" bus, not the one you plan to use. LOL! :D

BTW, thank you for all you do for the club. We love you...even if you are a retired belt engineer! :D
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Jim and Denise, thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

Lisa is doing well in her recovery and Kelly has a good prognosis on the latest round of cancer.

There is no way that I would tackle two Eagles :shock: We are really sad about having to park the bus for a couple of months. That said, we are moving ahead with some fun plans for the rest of the summer.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO