Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Engine Cradle

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
bobcat1989
Bus Model: 1995 Eagle Model 20 Caldwell Coach Conversion - "PREAGLE"

Engine Cradle

Post by bobcat1989 »

Does anyone know exactly where or what post I can find the pictures of the engine cradle for engine removal? I saw one on here a long time ago and I think it was Sonny Grays and didn't know if it was still here or not. It may have been someone else but I am interested in fabricating me one as well and it would be nice to view one vs field fitting one.

Bobcat
Mike & Cheryl Kelley
Crossett, AR
1995 (Titled as Such) Model 20 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
12" Raised - Caldwell Coach - "PREAGLE"
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Engine Cradle

Post by rusty »

Bobcat, On my project page ( 1994 15/45 by Wayne Schell ) on about page 2 is the cradle that I built for my 60 S It worked very well and I would not change a thing. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Wayne
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Check the cradle B&B in Vegas uses have Van send you some photos it is neat,me I have different cradles built that I use on a pallet jack that work good for me you can buy a new pallet jack for about the same price of good casters
bobcat1989
Bus Model: 1995 Eagle Model 20 Caldwell Coach Conversion - "PREAGLE"

Post by bobcat1989 »

Thanks all and I will look at both setups. I just happen to have a old pallet jack that just needs a seal in the jack,,I just helped a friend install a 8-71 and we had no concrete so we used a telehandler forklift,,worked great but I want a cradle,,
Mike & Cheryl Kelley
Crossett, AR
1995 (Titled as Such) Model 20 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
12" Raised - Caldwell Coach - "PREAGLE"
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Kevin, I have included a some photos of the cart I built.

Originally I made the cart for a 6V92 with trans. Later on I modified it for the longer Series 60 (last photo).

One of the first things I fabricated/installed on the bus were four large hydraulic cylinders so that I could raise/level the bus. I used long stroke cylinders and can raise all the wheels off the ground about 6 inches if I feel adventuresome. To remove the engine, I would raise the bus several inches and then roll the cart underneath the engine. The vertical posts are two piece and can be raised to meet the front and rear cross member. I then let the bus down a few inches so that the whole engine cross members were separated from the engine mounting structure.

As you can see from the photos I had a great idea to attach a tow bar to the cart to drag the cart/engine out of the compartment. As I recall, that did not work well. I ended up using two come-a-longs to pull the assembly out.
Engine Cart.JPG
Engine Cart adjustable post detail.JPG
Engine Cart adjustable post detail.JPG (151.1 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
Engine cart with Series 60.JPG
Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.