Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Advice needed

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
busdriver58
Bus Model: 1969/05 and 1964/01

Advice needed

Post by busdriver58 »

Ok, is time to request advice to the experts. :shock:

As some of you know we will go for our bus on next week and I never drove a bus, UPS! My car is very small (an SMART from Mercedes Benz) and maybe I need time to practice... :o

What I need to do now?
What I need to chechk first to move it?
A friend of mine said me that the brakes are so sensitive...
During the journey to the border what I need to pay attention? (temp, oil, tires or whatever)

I would appreciate any advice. :?

I was checking the Diesel prices on Internet and are very differente from one point to another, also I read that I need to charge diesel on special pumps no the one for the big trucks.

What else?
Last edited by busdriver58 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Advice needed

Post by Songman »

Just be prepared and give yourself plenty of time to stop. Get used to the brakes and then leave extra space. It takes a long time to stop a bus from 60mph. Watch the gauges.

That's about all I did when I drove my first bus home on the day I bought it. I had never driven one either. If you are like I was you'll find yourself riding the outside white line. I think I hit every reflector on Hwy 101 on the way home that night!

I don't know what sort of truck stops you have in Mexico but you should see about loyalty cards. When you are buying 150 gallons at a time, those cents off sure don't hurt.

Have fun and be safe. And as always, take lots of pictures.

Good luck.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Julio, where are you going to pick up the bus AZ is the only state I know of that has RV pumps and they are a bitch to get in and out of but you can fuel at the truck pumps here by going inside and tell them you are a rv but it is up to the station where you get the 8 cents a gal off or not.Keep the 8v92 above 1200 and it won't heat if the engine lugs it will get hot and a rule is if you push the pedal and it doesn't gain speed you are lugging don't be afraid to down shift don't wait on the transmission to do it for you.Eagles with the 740 will run about 58 mph in 3rd and don't be afraid to run it there.If you have a Jake brake turn it on a leave it on till you get a handle on it and again down shift it will slow down faster.Do give your self plenty of room between vechices air brakes are touchy at a slow speed but after 30mph that will change good luck and if you have any problems in AZ give me a call 928-788-3029

Clifford
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

OK here is what I was taught when I work at UPS this was the motto: AIM HIGH IN STEERING this will keep you center on your lane. GET THE BIG PICTURE see what is in front of you. KEEP YOUR EYES MOVING DON'T STARE look side to side. LEAVE YOUR SELF AN OUT take the least resistant way out. MAKE SURE THEY SEE YOU make eye contact use your horn. Also check your mirrors between 8 to 10 seconds. Trust me this works I got 20yrs safe driving award and I still use this every day specially when I drive my Eagle please be safe.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
Two Feathers
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F234821
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle 05
1990 Eagle 15

Post by Two Feathers »

You have already been told that it takes a long time to stop. Leave yourself all the margin you can. I believe you can judge your lane best by centring your lane by judging the drivers side of your bus. You can see your placement easily by using your drivers side mirror, the other side will follow.

The most difficult thing you can encounter is backing up. Don't put yourself into a place where you have to back up until you have a lot more experience. Then there are the corners. Always remember to "DRIVE YOUR BACK WHEELS TO THE CORNER" before you start your turn. The hard right turn is the most difficult. Just drive your back wheels to the corner then make your turn. You won't run over the curb or scrape the poles if you do this. Keep your eyes on your mirrors and you will learn where your vehicle is. Good Luck and welcome to the pleasures of driving your bus.

Dave
1990 Eagle 15 Under Construction
Cummins M-11 Celect Plus
Allison 746, T drive axle
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Julio, All good advice! If you have the time, go to a big parking lot and get a feel for her. Remember you're not driving a car, it's a big 40' long missile. Go slow, look in your mirrors, get a feel for the distance of objects, apply the brakes slowly so you can feel the reaction, empty all of your air tanks, check tire pressure, I run about 100 psi., check all fluid levels, have a tool box handy just in case, if you don't already get a manual, Silver Eagle has them on CD, take your laptop along with you. The list is long but well worth being prepared. I wish I was home during that time, I would have loved to help you out.

Good Luck and call Clifford if you get into trouble. I learned a lot from him and if it's about an Eagle he knows them, along with the rest of the guys here on this board. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Congrates to you Julio on your purchase.Here in Vegas ,we are placing the Odds in your favor for success with your Eagle.Hope to meet you soon at one of the rally's .Don't forget to take photo's of the trip home as well as any updates you make to the coach in the future .We wish you mucho continued success.

God Bless
Van&Cheryl
busdriver58

Post by busdriver58 »

Dreamscape wrote:..., empty all of your air tanks...
Why to do this?
Dreamscape wrote:... check tire pressure, I run about 100 psi., ...
I remember that on the tires side says something about the pressure, 100 is common?
Dreamscape wrote:..., check all fluid levels,...
Obviously water, coolant, oil... anything else? how much is the correctl level for each one?
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Julio,

By emptying the air tanks you are getting rid of moisture, this should be done on a daily basis after a long trip, unless your air drier is working properly. Water in the air system is not safe.

Tire pressure should be around 100 psi, some run higher, depends on the kind of ride you want. Check the side of the tire for specific rating. Make sure you do this before you take it down the road. If you have an inside dual that is low it could blow. Low pressure creates heat also when operating.

I would check all fluid levels to include rear axle, transmission, axle bearings, mitre box, anything with fluid in it should be checked. Look at your manual and it will tell you how and how much. Do you have a manual yet?

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
busdriver58

Post by busdriver58 »

Thanks Paul,

This was very instructive, I haven't a manual and today I wil try to purchase one from Silver Eagle as you said.

Julio
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed