Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

You've gotta see this...

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

You've gotta see this...

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Thought you might enjoy seeing this bus. We caught these pics at the Bussin 2008 Rally in Arcadia. We never did get to meet the owner, maybe someone out there knows who he/she is, but it's a great idea for hauling your bike. The whole floor lowers to the ground to load and unload the bike. Our friends Joe & Susie (Harley owners) really got a kick out of it. They own a 1982 Eagle 10. He goes by Eagle 1 on another board. I need to get him hooked up on this board.

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Re: You've gotta see this...

Post by buscrazyinFL »

OK, since no body has said anything about these pics let me pick your brains...

As I recall that whole floor goes up or down to load and unload, and when the floor is in the up mode he locks the floor with receiver pins and clips (like on a trailer hitch). I was wondering, since that part of the floor was cut out, how structurally sound is this set up on an Eagle (or any bus for that matter)?

KY Steve, maybe you might have an idea since you have re-done your whole frame.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Manny, The main frame is above the door. There are some forces that transfer for the front to the back of the buss throught the members that hold up the floor.If the cut out does not go all the way across the bay and some reinforcement done I think it will work. It is amasing what you can do to the eagle bus. Thank You for the pictures.

Wayne
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny/Darleen,

I saw these Pics Friday and it scared the devil outta me....lol... I didn't want to be the first negative one though.....thanks Wayne. :lol: As Wayne stated the floor is structural to the integrity of the whole bus. I'm sure it could be done but it would/should be as big a project as a slide out. In my world I would have to redesign the whole bay (all three) area in order to achieve this feat. It would involve transferring the stresses up and over that area where the missing bay is. After what I have been through with my slide outs I can assure you I would dismantle the bike and just put it in the original bay in boxes and then reassemble it at my destination. :D No matter how many times I have to haul it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Different strokes for different folkes though. It is a pretty cool ideal. Thanks for posting the pics. It helps us grinder happy guys to know we aren't the only crazy ones out there. :D :D :D

...................Kentucky Steve..................
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I too, about fainted.

It would be possible to tie the floor back together with a pin system when the bike is raised. Still a bit iffy in my opinion.

The only way I can think that they keep the bus from getting a bit sway back when the bike is in the down position, is to have the four vertical columns mounted in very close tolerance bushing and use them to hold the bottom beam together. Even then, there would have to be a tight tube-in-tube system for the vertical extension (verticals could not go into the house level) and then run them through a bushing at the floor level.

You see a lot of hydraulic bike lifts on the back of motorhomes. That puts a pretty heavy load on the rear axle and our "rubber band" springs might not be happy.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

It would be great if we had a special place to put all the pictures of Eagles that are spotted. That would make it easier to do a search too!

That is one unique Eagle, not sure if I would tackle that kind of project though.

What say you guys?
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Wayne, has it right I saw one of Dave Galey 05 Eagle buses years ago that didn't have a floors in any of the bays from rust and he drove it home and you see rusted out Eagles that have a pc of 1/2 square tubing holding up the floor that is the ones you run from.

Clifford
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

The Eagle Coach is designed so that you could remove the entire baggage bay floor and still drive the coach down the road with no problems. If you look at the original baggage bay floor tubing, it is not very stout, in fact, it was only designed to carry the weight of the baggage, about 1,200 lbs. per bay. It is also possible to strip an Eagle down to the frame and still drive the coach down the road, I know because I have tried it and the coach road as smooth as it did when it was complete. The Eagle Coach does not rely on the the side skins and roof skins for structural integrity, in fact, unlike other coaches, the frame of the Eagle Coach would handle everything and relied heavily on the curve in the car line just above the side windows for structural stability and gave the Eagle the best test results in case of a roll over. If you are adding frame work to your Eagle Coach thinking it will add strength, it may not serve any purpose other than adding unnecessary weight to your coach. The Eagle frame was considered the strongest on the market as designed. A frame needs to be stout but also must have flexibility to endure the millions of miles they were designed for. This is all done through finite analysis, which is done by a certified engineer, which measures the stress loads and cycles that a frame is subject to on a computer program.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

see, I told ya we coulda put the vette under there! :lol: :lol:
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

SmoothJazz wrote:It is also possible to strip an Eagle down to the frame and still drive the coach down the road, I know because I have tried it and the coach road as smooth as it did when it was complete.
I can vouch for that!

As a matter of fact, Don said that my Eagle in this shape actually drove better than his Country Coach Gillig conversion. That says alot for these buses.

I never would have guessed that you could take an entire bay out though. As cool as it would be to have a motorcycle down there though, I am already fretting over bay space as it is. Guess I'll just have to pull a trailer if I want motorcycles with me.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN